• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My bad

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I feel bad about my blasphemies and disrespect for what others cherish and hold as sacred.

I'm deeply troubled by the Bible and Koran and no longer believe either to be the word of God.

There is much good in Abrahamic monotheism if you look in the right places, however, and believers do a lot of good in our world, build hospitals, schools, and missions to feed, clothe , and care for the poor and sick.

For my own mental health, I need to make peace with God and peace with those who adhere to his precepts.

I'll try not to complain or disrespect what you hold as sacred.

I've always had anger at God when I see the world's misery and calls to violence and intolerance in the ancient text. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

It's time for me to reconcile with God, Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I have been disrespectful of your beliefs, sorry. We all have inner demons. Hopefully you and God understand. :)

Reactions: syo

idav

Being
Premium Member
You don't only have to read the Bible and Koran, there is also the Gita.

Myself, I am currently reading some Tich Nhat Hanh and Thomas Aquinas.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I just know Abrahamic monotheism affected me and a lot of other people in a toxic way.

It's hard to not be bitter about it, but bitterness does no good.

I hope God will understand and be merciful to those who feel as I do. Scripture simply goes against our conscience and seems irrational.

I pray that I could see things differently, but as of now it is out of my control.

I hope everyone finds enlightenment and the happiness they are looking for.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
We are all sinners.

Do you hold that we were born sinners? I gotta say, this idea that a loving god created us broken, and then offers redemption for the low price of abandoning our cognitive capabilities really amazes me.

@PopeADope - I'd suggest that you seem to have a sincere desire to understand people and their beliefs better. Nothing wrong with that! If folks can't withstand a little poking at their beliefs then their beliefs must not be on very solid ground.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's weird, I'm a deeply spiritual monotheist that lives a life of prayer, but in my views regarding organized Religion and Scripture, I can relate more to atheists than fellow monotheists.

It's a weird no man's land of a place to be really...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do you hold that we were born sinners? I gotta say, this idea that a loving god created us broken, and then offers redemption for the low price of abandoning our cognitive capabilities really amazes me.

@PopeADope - I'd suggest that you seem to have a sincere desire to understand people and their beliefs better. Nothing wrong with that! If folks can't withstand a little poking at their beliefs then their beliefs must not be on very solid ground.
My intent was to reassure @PopeADope that everyone makes mistakes.

As far as your theological comment goes, from my frame-of-reference human souls contain all lower forms within their nature from rocks to animals. Thus we can express any of the behaviors of those forms. It's nothing to do with being "broken" but everything to do with our evolutionary heritage. Don't assume that everyone posts from a Judeo-Christian-Islamic theology..

David1967

Premium Member
I feel bad about my blasphemies and disrespect for what others cherish and hold as sacred.

I'm deeply troubled by the Bible and Koran and no longer believe either to be the word of God.

There is much good in Abrahamic monotheism if you look in the right places, however, and believers do a lot of good in our world, build hospitals, schools, and missions to feed, clothe , and care for the poor and sick.

For my own mental health, I need to make peace with God and peace with those who adhere to his precepts.

I've always had anger at God when I see the world's misery and calls to violence and intolerance in the ancient text. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

It's time for me to reconcile with God, Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I have been disrespectful of your beliefs, sorry. We all have inner demons. Hopefully you and God understand. :)

No problem Pope. This is a good place to vent our doubts and hopes as well as frustrations regarding such things.:)

David1967

Premium Member
You don't only have to read the Bible and Koran, there is also the Gita.

Myself, I am currently reading some Tich Nhat Hanh and Thomas Aquinas.

Tich Nhat Hanh, is one of my favorites. May I recommend 'Living Buddha, Living Christ'.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

For your own mental health you need to get off RF and go outside and walk. In my own clinical view there are people here that have some serious psychological issues that are using RF as a tool for an outlet, which is fine, but chatting with different strangers online is not always the best therapeutic thing to do. Stop thinking about religion, if you have questions ask God himself on your own time outside RF. Only HE/HIM/SHE/IT can help you.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
For your own mental health you need to get off RF and go outside and walk. In my own clinical view there are people here that have some serious psychological issues that are using RF as a tool for an outlet, which is fine, but chatting with different strangers online is not always the best therapeutic thing to do. Stop thinking about religion, if you have questions ask God himself on your own time outside RF. Only HE/HIM/SHE/IT can help you.
I do go outside and walk. I also go to groups and aa meetings and socialize with peers. I find that I get more intelligent insights from RF

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I do agree with one poster that too much time on RF can make mental health worse, not better. Having said that, I believe it is excellent to have a forum such as RF where peoples of different faiths from all round the world can contribute. You seem sincere in wanting answers and the journey to find such answers is often not valued in many societies. I believe the most useful practice we can perform in our search is to be living in the world of people in accordance to our highest values and whatever our circumstances to contribute positively to the betterment of the communities we live in.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
That's been one of my favorites, I'm reading Heart of Buddhas Teachings.

I have read that one as well. Very good book. His books 'Fear' and 'Anger' are very good as well. His way of writing transcends religious boundaries. Love the guy.