• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims Only: Quran is understandable without Hadith

Pastek

Sunni muslim
  1. Saying that the God somehow missed to include some details in the book and after many years the book has become incomprehensible to us is in contradiction with the belief above.
I'm not saying that at all. I said above in my post #14 that you can understand even without the hadiths.
Average people haven't access to the books of hadiths, the tafsirs etc and they get the message of the Quran.

What i was talking about is about the details explanations found in some hadiths that may help us to have a better understanding of the Quran.

People used to ask many questions to the Prophets about the Quran (verses) or about wht they can do or can't.
I think it's important -if we can- to try to learn from those teachings.
Of course we all know that some hadiths aren't true or can contradict each others, but we can make the effort to learn or see what is true or not according to the basis which is the Quran.

Like i said the exemples i gave were details (so not that important to know for believers) but they help for those who want to know more about the difficulties the Prophet (saw) have to face with.

Some people may ask why Muhammad (saw) had so much difficulties to bring people to his faith in Mecca while in Medina it was more easy.
With those details we learn that it's not just because the other 2 Abrahamic faiths were more present in Medina but also because of the Quraish's strategy and customs (fearing the tribe's opinion) than the base of the teachings.

So those exegesis are not just about having a name and knowing who is who (it's not necessary to know this) but more why and how it affected Muhammad (saw) and his followers.

As for hadiths who help us understanding the Quran -not talking here about the details concerning our duties such as the haj, mahr, zakat el fitr etc- i can give you other exemples concerning just the Quran.

1.Abu Lahab.
Without the hadiths we don't know who he is nor why he is named in the Quran and cursed.
I think you probably know that it was a proof from Allah that he could never convert even just to contradict Muhammad.
So without the hadiths we don't get the full meaning and the proof behind it that Abu Lahab was condamned in those verses and his wife too.

2.Joseph's brothers accusation
Without hadiths we don't understand why the brothers accused their brother Joseph. If it was a lie or something else.
They in fact were talking about something who happened when he was little to make a distinction -and look good- between them and Benyamin as they didn't have the same mother that the 2 other brothers.
So if Benjamin stole (according them) that's because he is like Joseph.
And we understand here better the verse. Without the hadith we can't guess what it's about.
So that's why the brothers only ask for forgiveness to their father when they knew about Joseph's position knowing Allah helped him and they accepted the fact that he was honored and prefered.

12.77 They said, "If he steals - a brother of his has stolen before." But Joseph kept it within himself and did not reveal it to them. He said, "You are worse in position, and Allah is most knowing of what you describe."

Tafsir :
"He had stolen a golden idol from his maternal grandfather and smashed it, lest he worship it"
(Al Jalalayn)

http://quranx.com/Tafsirs/12.77

So like i said above i agree that you can understand in general the Quran without the hadiths.
People before didn't have tv, books of tafsirs etc yet they were believers and get the meaning of Quran.

The hadiths help to understand more the Quran for the one who wants to.
If people want to understand what happened with details to the Prophet and his followers for exemple.
As for the one who just believe, doesn't ask that much questions (don't care about some details as above) or don't want to learn more about his religion and how the muslims dealed with what happened to them in this period : then it's ok to not use the hadiths.

mojtaba

Are Quran-only muslims seen as a misguided minority by the majority of Sunni and Shia muslims?
So misguided.
I have seen different Quranists(?). They didn't have a union believe. Each of them had his interpretation from Quran.

mojtaba

Thanks Mojtaba. It seems that we have the same position in this regard: both of us believe that Quran is understandable without Hadith. However you think there are details that critical for being a Muslim and yet not covered by Quran and seek those details in Hadith.
Your saying recall for me one of the golden sayings of Imam Ali(as).

The saying of Khawarij in the time of Imam Ali was, إن الحكم إلا لله ( Judgement belongs only to Allah ).

Imam Ali said to them, كلمة حق، يراد بها الباطل(A true saying by which the untruth is sought!).

Anyway, Quran has talked about the Night of Qadr( See Sura Qadr ), and its importance for the destiny of people in the year( See Sura Ad-Dokhkhan, verses 3and 4 ). Also, Quran has said that this Night is in the month of Ramadhan( See Sura Al-Bagharah, verse 185 ). But, say me that according to Quran, which night of the 29/30 nights of the month of Ramadhan is the so important Night of Qadr?
If you believe that Quran is absolutely understandable without Hadith, reply to this question only by Holy Quran.

This is not related to the topic of this thread. But since you mentioned that let me just say that there exist other interpretations of this verse, which can be found here: http://simpleislam.weebly.com/criticisms-en
I saw the link. It was not acceptable.

Quran says that Prophet Muhammad(sawaws) is the luminous lamp( Sura Al-Ahzab, 46 ). It also says that he(sawaws) is the Rahamtul-Lil 'Alamin( The Mercy for all the nations )« Sura Am-Biya, verse 107 » . So, he is now the light of guidance for our nation too. Because he is the Mercy for all the nations at any time.

Do not seprate Allah from His Apostle by seprating His Book from His Apostle.

Last edited:

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
Are Quran-only muslims seen as a misguided minority by the majority of Sunni and Shia muslims?

This topic is not limited to Quran-only Muslims. Many Hadith-believers (including most of the Shia scholars) believe that Quran is understandable without Hadith: they still believe in Hadith to explain the details of rituals but never say that Quran's text cannot be understood unless it is interpreted by Hadith (which is kind of a funny claim as the article explains). A very small fraction of Shia called Akhbari used to exaggerate the position of Hadith in Shia to the point that some of them also claimed that without having Hadith to interpret Quran, its text is incomprehensible. Although that minority was pushed away long time ago by the majority (called Osolyyoon) nowadays some Shia followers have tendency towards Akhbari positions regarding how to understand Quran.

I would list the above with details and verifiable references however my interest are topics that applies to all Muslims (Shia, Sunni, etc.). That is why the article argued only by Quran (which is accepted by all Muslims) and a Hadith that is accepted (with minor differences) by both Shia and Sunni.

mojtaba

Akhbaris are a minority of Shias who couldn't be seen in Shia communities and religious centers. Indeed, Akhbars( i.e., traditions ) themselves, reject Akhbaris.

Last edited:

mojtaba

This topic is not limited to Quran-only Muslims. Many Hadith-believers (including most of the Shia scholars) believe that Quran is understandable without Hadith: they still believe in Hadith to explain the details of rituals but never say that Quran's text cannot be understood unless it is interpreted by Hadith (which is kind of a funny claim as the article explains).
We believe that Hadiths of Holy Prophet Muhammad and the 12 Imams of Ahlul Bayt( peace be upon them all ) are the explanation of Quran, but this does not mean the Quran itself is not understandable without Hadith. Because, Quran is the base and has a clear message, and Hadiths indeed include the exact meanings of Quran which non-chosen and non-infallible ones can not reach to them. You can not compare the understanding of non-infallible ones with the understanding of infallible persons. Indeed, we use the understanding of purified ones to understand Holy Quran correctly and better.
Quran says, Chapter 56
Most surely it is an honored Qur'an,
in a Book that is hidden;
None do touch it save the purified ones
(56:77-79)

And It also says that the purified ones of the Prophet's Ahlul Bayt( progeny) and Prophet himself are the most purified ones,

Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O Ahlul Bayt! and to purify you a thorough purifying (33:33)

Ahlul Bayt are indeed Holy Prophet himself, and his daghter, Lady Fatima, and also his 12 Successors, from Imam Ali to Imam Mahdi( peace be upon them all ) which could be proven generally by Quran and exactly by authentic Hadiths in both Sunni and Shia authentic books.

So, we believe that Hadiths are indeed the interpretation and exact meanings of Quran and are the understanding of
chosen and the most purified ones from Quran, which indeed do not differ from Quran and are too from Allah. We use Hadiths to understand Quran correctly and better and this does not mean Quran is not understandable without Hadiths. Indeed, Quran is understandable without Hadiths, but without them, we can not reach to the divine understandings of the infallible ones and this issue could results in 1.misunderstanding of Quran by non-infallible ones, or 2. not to reach to the exact meanings of Quran which only the purified one can reach to them.

Waffaqanallah wa 'Iyyakum.

Last edited:

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
I'm not saying that at all. I said above in my post #14 that you can understand even without the hadiths.
Average people haven't access to the books of hadiths, the tafsirs etc and they get the message of the Quran.

What i was talking about is about the details explanations found in some hadiths that may help us to have a better understanding of the Quran.

Thanks Pastek for the explanation. Apparently we mostly agree with each other. The claim of "incomprehensibility" that I was emphasizing on and it is unfortunately becoming popular these days scares the ordinary Muslims from reading the Quran, discussing it, and making conclusions accordingly. Some ordinary Muslims are taught from childhood that they have to read Quran only under supervision of Hadith-experts otherwise they might get "mis-guided" by some verses in Quran that could otherwise be "clarified" by Hadith!

Note that I understand that there might be some dumb people taking a verse out of its context (its chapter and its surrounding verses) and making a rush conclusion, and that is why it is important that we Muslims constantly discuss our understanding with each other to help each other to improve it.

Now the parts that we disagree:
Of course we all know that some hadiths aren't true or can contradict each others, but we can make the effort to learn or see what is true or not according to the basis which is the Quran.
As discussed in the chapter 2 of the article although most Muslims believe in this method, in practice it is not applied: a Muslim is told that she should not make conclusions based on Quran's text only since the "right" interpretation can be reached only through Hadith. This approach implies that when Quran and Hadith contradict on a verse, Hadith is given the priority. Of course many try to sugarcoat it saying that it is not "contradiction" and Hadith rather explains the "actual" meaning of the verse, but the bottom line is that if the meaning that we get by reading the Quran is different from what Hadith offers, that is a "contradiction".

Like i said the exemples i gave were details (so not that important to know for believers) but they help for those who want to know more about the difficulties the Prophet (saw) have to face with.

History is very interesting and full of fun details but as you said, at the same time it is quite unreliable. When history is consistent with our facts (like Quran) it is reassuring but-as I understand that you agree-should not be the basis of forming our view and certainly cannot be named a prerequisite for being religious.

1.Abu Lahab.
Without the hadiths we don't know who he is nor why he is named in the Quran and cursed.
I think you probably know that it was a proof from Allah that he could never convert even just to contradict Muhammad.
So without the hadiths we don't get the full meaning and the proof behind it that Abu Lahab was condamned in those verses and his wife too.

The way I see it is that Quran is the miracle of the God meant to be read by people of the next centuries like me and you. As a miracle I believe that the God has put in it everything that is required to be guided to the right religious view. So when I see a detail (a name, a color, a city, ...) is "intentionally" not covered in a chapter I see it as not necessary (and perhaps distracting) detail to convey what the God wanted us to understand. So in my view the "full meaning" is what the God covered in the story and anything beyond that is either not helping the story or could be is some cases distracting. If I feel like I don't get the purpose of a chapter because some details that I am looking for is not covered there, I would tell myself that perhaps I am looking at it from the wrong angel and I should improve my view to get the point to understand the meaning with only the details that the God considered as necessary in the book.

One interesting example is when the God tell the Moses followers to kill a cow: http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/2:67 In this story there were many details not covered in the command but the followers considered the command "incomplete" without such details and went on and on demanding the God to "clarify" more details like the color of the cow: http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/2:69 A true believer among them would have said: there was a reason that the God did not specify this detail and I should not be obsessed with that. We can generalize this lesson to ours as well: not all the full details of this story is covered in Quran, for example, it is not covered that why there were asked to kill a cow in the first place. A true believer would say that that is not the important detail and the takeaway message "will not change" by that detail and such detail could even "distract" us from the primary lesson of the story.

2.Joseph's brothers accusation
Without hadiths we don't understand why the brothers accused their brother Joseph. If it was a lie or something else.

Tafsir :
"He had stolen a golden idol from his maternal grandfather and smashed it, lest he worship it"
(Al Jalalayn)

Following up on my explanation above, my view is that the details that are not covered in the Joseph story in Quran are decided as "not important" or "distracting" and we should not focus on them. Here for example non of the lessons that I have learned from the Jospeh story would change by knowing that what was the exact fake guilt that they accused their brother with.

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
So misguided.
I have seen different Quranists(?). They didn't have a union believe. Each of them had his interpretation from Quran.

Mojtaba,

Differences in views and opinion should be celebrated and even discouraged. Shia and Sunni also disagree on many things but neither call one another misguided. Even among Shia and Sunni the views of each scholar is different from the views of another. And this is not a negative quality: differences in opinions encourage insightful discussions and makes us think deeper about the things that we assume that are clear.

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
But, say me that according to Quran, which night of the 29/30 nights of the month of Ramadhan is the so important Night of Qadr?
If you believe that Quran is absolutely understandable without Hadith, reply to this question only by Holy Quran.

Thanks Mojtaba. This is a great example. My view is that Quran is the miracle of the God and meant to be studied by people of the next centuries like me and you. As the miracle I believe that the God has covered the details that are necessary to convey the message. Ghdar is indeed a very important night according to Quran, but since the date is not specified I understand it that it was not meant to be specified, and similarly to the argument about number 19, I accept what the God decided for me, and do not seek further to add the details the God "missed" to cover in the miraculous book!

Now we can ponder about it to see why is that we so badly want to know when is exactly this night and yet the God did not specify in the book. Do we want to know the night so we try to be a better person at that night and not much on other nights? If we believe about the importance of this night and yet we do not know which night exactly that is, would not it motivate us to be a batter person all the nights hoping that it would cover the Ghadr night? And would not it better?

The above is just a suggestion. We as Muslims should constantly ponder about Quran. The details that are not covered "are as guiding as" the details that are covered. Pondering about them will reach us a better understanding of religion.

Do not seprate Allah from His Apostle by seprating His Book from His Apostle.

I do not think that I do! In Quran the God and the prophet are the same side and not separated; the gift for us is therefore the same: Quran. In fact one could say believing in two things Quran and Hadith is a kind of separating the God from the prophet saying that Quran is of the God, and Hadith is of the prophet! As I said before this thread is not about believing in Hadith or not; it is rather about whether we find Quran comprehensible without Hadith or not. Many Hadith-believers consider Quran comprehensible but still use Hadith to know the details of rituals. So lets not get distracted from the topic of this thread. Thanks.

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com

And It also says that the purified ones of the Prophet's Ahlul Bayt( progeny) and Prophet himself are the most purified ones,

Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O Ahlul Bayt! and to purify you a thorough purifying (33:33)

Ahlul Bayt are indeed Holy Prophet himself, and his daghter, Lady Fatima, and also his 12 Successors, from Imam Ali to Imam Mahdi( peace be upon them all ) which could be proven generally by Quran and exactly by authentic Hadiths in both Sunni and Shia authentic books.

Thanks Mojtaba. This is an important example.

So to summarize
1. this verse says that Quran is guarded book that can only be (truly) touched by the purified ones.
2. Your interpretation of touching is to get the true meaning
3. Your interpretation of purified ones are "only" people are implied (and not named) in this verse
4. You use Hadith to list the people who were implied in the verse
5. You consider yourself and any other Muslim living in 21st century as non-purified.
6. Although Quran says that non-purified ones "cannot" (truly) touch Quran, you are seeking a way to get around it and get the non-purified ones to also touch Quran!
7. Your proposed solution is Hadith: the purified ones touch Quran and tell the non-purified ones the true meaning that the God said they cannot touch in the first place!

Well one other view could be that if Quran says that non-purified cannot (truly) touch Quran, it actually means that non-purified ones cannot truly touch Quran, ever. One could consider it as a principle and not a "flaw", and hence do not seek "solutions" to "fix" this and get the non-purified to also get the true meaning of Quran. Afterall, Quran is a guidance only to the Godwary (http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/2:2). As you mentioned (and it is also discussed in section 1 of the article) Quran according to itself does intentionally contain ambiguous verses to test the hearts of the believers. Our position should be to embrace this ambiguity and constantly try to stay away from sickness in heart; Not that to try to "fix" this intentional ambiguity and say "thank to us now the people with sickness in their heart do not get misguided by Quran"!

Last edited:

mojtaba

Mojtaba,

Differences in views and opinion should be celebrated and even discouraged. Shia and Sunni also disagree on many things but neither call one another misguided. Even among Shia and Sunni the views of each scholar is different from the views of another. And this is not a negative quality: differences in opinions encourage insightful discussions and makes us think deeper about the things that we assume that are clear.
I do not disagree with saying the different beliefs. But rather, I believe that different sayings should be said due to clarification of the true saying.

But only there are one guide and after the guide, there is not but misguidance.
Allah says,
what is there, after truth, but error?(10:32)

Any Christian believes that non-Christians are misguided. Any Muslim believes that others are misguided. This belief is ordinary. But, it is important that everyone should not insult the other one, only because he/she do not have his/her beliefs.

After many studies, I freely say that Quranists(?) are so misguided, but I am not going to insult anyone or any sect.

Good luck!

mojtaba

Thanks Mojtaba. This is a great example. My view is that Quran is the miracle of the God and meant to be studied by people of the next centuries like me and you. As the miracle I believe that the God has covered the details that are necessary to convey the message. Ghdar is indeed a very important night according to Quran, but since the date is not specified I understand it that it was not meant to be specified, and similarly to the argument about number 19, I accept what the God decided for me, and do not seek further to add the details the God "missed" to cover in the miraculous book!
Now we can ponder about it to see why is that we so badly want to know when is exactly this night and yet the God did not specify in the book. Do we want to know the night so we try to be a better person at that night and not much on other nights? If we believe about the importance of this night and yet we do not know which night exactly that is, would not it motivate us to be a batter person all the nights hoping that it would cover the Ghadr night? And would not it better?

The above is just a suggestion. We as Muslims should constantly ponder about Quran. The details that are not covered "are as guiding as" the details that are covered. Pondering about them will reach us a better understanding of religion.
And thank you Safdar too.

Because of the great importance of the Night of Al-Ghadr in determination of our destiny in the current year, the reason and intelect recommends us that we should not sleep in that Holy Night and pray Allah for seeking His Nearness and Mercy.

So, say me, are the people in the 21th centry who have many works in the day and are so busy, able to not to sleep in every 29 or 30 nights of the month of Ramadham for reaching to Mercies of that Holy Night?! Or Allah has said to us the night which is the Night of Al-Ghadr by his Prophet, but because you reject all the authentic Hadiths of Holy Prophet are not awar of the exace date?

mojtaba

Thanks Mojtaba. This is an important example.

So to summarize
1. this verse says that Quran is guarded book that can only be (truly) touched by the purified ones.
No. May Allah bless you.
The verses say that the Holy Quran which is the written version of the words and also meanings revealed to Prophet Muhammad, was indeed a hiden truth which was sent and revealed from Allah and the hidden Book to Prophet Muhammad, and indeed this Quran is a gate to reaching that truth and only the purified one can reach to it completely.

Most surely it is an honored Qur'an,

4. You use Hadith to list the people who were implied in the verse.
Yes. Because Allah has ordered us to do such this. He has said that,

If you should quarrel on anything, refer it to God(i.e., Quran) and the Apostle(i.e., his sayings), if you believe in God and the Last Day; that is better, and fairer in the issue.(4:59)
5. You consider yourself and any other Muslim living in 21st century as non-purified.
No. Your are wrong in this point. I did not mean this.
I meant that everyone as much as his/her purity can reach to the truth of Quran which is hidden and only purified one can reach to it(See, 56:77-79).

But, according to Quran, the most purified ones are Prophet Muhammad and his Ahlul Bayt.
So, they can have more access to that hidden truth of Quran, so that Allah has ordered us that besides Quran, we must obey Prophet and Ulul Amr who are indeed Ahlul Bayt.
4:59
O believers, obey Allah(i.e., Quran), and (also) obey the Apostle and Ulul Amr(ie, those in authority) among you.

6. Although Quran says that non-purified ones "cannot" (truly) touch Quran, you are seeking a way to get around it and get the non-purified ones to also touch Quran!
7. Your proposed solution is Hadith: the purified ones touch Quran and tell the non-purified ones the true meaning that the God said they cannot touch in the first place!

Well one other view could be that if Quran says that non-purified cannot (truly) touch Quran, it actually means that non-purified ones cannot truly touch Quran, ever. One could consider it as a principle and not a "flaw", and hence do not seek "solutions" to "fix" this and get the non-purified to also get the true meaning of Quran. Afterall, Quran is a guidance only to the Godwary (http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/2:2). As you mentioned (and it is also discussed in section 1 of the article) Quran according to itself does intentionally contain ambiguous verses to test the hearts of the believers. Our position should be to embrace this ambiguity and constantly try to stay away from sickness in heart; Not that to try to "fix" this intentional ambiguity and say "thank to us now the people with sickness in their heart do not get misguided by Quran"!
This part of your saying is meaningless.
Allah has ordered us to fix the ambiguous verses by referring them to the clear and unambiguous ones,
3:7
'It is He who sent down upon thee the Book, wherein are verses clear that are the Essence of the Book, and others ambiguous. '

For example, a verse of Quran says that, 'the hand of Allah is over their hands'( يد الله فوق أيديهم ). But this is an ambiguous verse which can imply that Almighty Allah has hands like His creatures, so that should be referred to the ff clear and unambiguous one, 'There is not anything likes Him'( ليس كمثله شيء). So, 'Hand' in the first verse should be translated as power, which chould be confirmed by Hadiths.

Waffaqakallah.

Last edited:

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
the reason and intelect recommends us that we should not sleep in that Holy Night and pray Allah for seeking His Nearness and Mercy.

Well at least the act of not sleeping is not recommended in Quran. So as far as Quran goes, it is self-consistent in the sense that it talks about the greatest night and yet it does not require us to stay sleepless during that night thus it is not inconsistent with not specifying the date exactly.

If you should quarrel on anything, refer it to God(i.e., Quran) and the Apostle(i.e., his sayings), if you believe in God and the Last Day; that is better, and fairer in the issue.(4:59)

That is not the focus of this thread. But you can refer to http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/wāw-in-arabic-vs-and-in-english.189386/ for further discussion.

This part of your saying is meaningless.
Allah has ordered us to fix the ambiguous verses by referring them to the clear and unambiguous ones,
3:7
'It is He who sent down upon thee the Book, wherein are verses clear that are the Essence of the Book, and others ambiguous. '

I guess your position comes from a remote interpretation otherwise the verse that you cited does not "order us to fix the ambiguous verses". It merely talks about their existence in the book and their purpose.

For example, a verse of Quran says that, 'the hand of Allah is over their hands'( يد الله فوق أيديهم ). But this is an ambiguous verse which can imply that Almighty Allah has hands like His creatures, so that should be referred to the ff clear and unambiguous one,

I hoped after the many discussions in this thread it would be already clear that all Muslims believe in existence of ambiguous verses in the book. The difference is that some consider it a flaw and try to fix it while I do not. There has already been a very insightful discussion around this topic in this thread which I recommend reading it: http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...ble-without-hadith.188996/page-2#post-4824164

Last edited:

Adam Narok

The Quran explains all things (shortened version of the article (The Quran explains all things)

In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful

And We have not revealed to you the Prescription, except for you to make clear to them that wherein they have differed and as guidance and mercy for a people who believe. (16:64)

The common belief of the Muslim tradition is the assertion about the need to clarify the Quran by scholars and their exclusive right to do so. A lot of books are written about this, the complex scientific directions are developed. They contain numerous examples from the Quran, which, supposedly, can only be understood by the scientists’ explanation. After studying such comments, a person begins to believe that the Quran is sent down to a narrow circle of initiates and in order to join this circle, it is necessary to study dozens and hundreds of ancient works of early Islamic theologians.

Turning to the very Prescription, we find an entirely different assertion. God in the Quran used the word فصل (fassolya), which means “to divide into parts, explain in detail“. This is how it is used in relation to the Quran:

And thus do We detail the signs, and the way of the criminals will become evident. (6:55)

“Then is it other than God I should seek as judge while it is He who has revealed to you the Prescription explained in detail?” And those to whom We previously gave the Prescription know that it is sent down from your Lord in truth! So never be among the doubters! (6:114)

And this is the path of your Lord, [leading] straight. We have detailed the signs for a people who remember! (6:126)

And We had certainly brought them a Prescription which We detailed by knowledge – as guidance and mercy to a people who believe. (7:52)

And it was not [possible] for this Literature (Quran) to be produced by other than God, but it is a confirmation of what was before it and a detailed explanation of the Prescription, about which there is no doubt, from the Lord of the worlds. (10:37)

Alif, Lam, Ra.
The Prescription.
Whose signs are perfected and then presented in detail from Wise and Acquainted! (11:1)

A Prescription whose signs have been detailed, an Arabic Literature (Quran) for a people who know, (41:3)

Unfortunately, all people who believe in God are systematically persuaded that they will not be able to understand the Quran without so-called experts. As a result, most people do not learn to use their minds for reflection, thinking, analysis and understanding of the matter. After all, traditionally it is believed that without special religious preparation, people cannot understand the word of God. However, our Creator knows the abilities of our minds better and accordingly sets forth His guidelines.

And why should you not eat of that upon which the name of God has been mentioned while He has explained in detail to you what He has forbidden you, excepting that to which you are compelled! And indeed do many lead [others] astray through their passions without knowledge. Indeed, your Lord – He is most knowing of the transgressors! (6:119)

Say, “Who has forbidden the adornment of God which He has produced for His servants and the good things of provision?”

Say, “They are for those who believe during the worldly life, exclusively for them on the day of standing before Him.” Thus do We detail the signs for a people who know! (7:32)

And thus do We detail the signs, and perhaps they will return! (7:174)

But if they repent, establish prayer, and give purifying expenditure, then they are your brothers in fulfilment of the duty; and We detail the signs for a people who know! (9:11)

The example of worldly life is but like rain which We have sent down from the sky that the plants of the earth absorb – from which men and livestock eat – until, when the earth has taken on its adornment and is beautified and its people suppose that they have capability over it, there comes to it Our command by night or by day, and We make it as a harvest, as if it had not flourished yesterday. Thus do We explain in detail the signs for a people who give thought. (10:24)

There was certainly in their narratives a lesson for those of understanding. Never was it a narration invented!

But a confirmation of what was before it and a detailed explanation of all things and Guidance and mercy for a people who believe! (12:111)

He presents to you an example from yourselves. Do you have among slaves any partners in what We have provided for you so that you are equal therein? Would you fear them as your fear of one another? Thus do We detail the signs for a people who use reason. (30:28)

The Prescription of God is universal. It explains not only simple truths, but also scientific data, which, incidentally, is also available to the human mind, which is confirmed by the discoveries of the 20th century.

And it is He who placed for you the stars that you may be guided by them through the darknesses of the land and sea. We have detailed the signs for a people who know!

And it is He who produced you from One Personality! And [gave you] a place of dwelling and of storage! We have detailed the signs for a people who understand! (6:97-98)

It is He who made the sun a shining light and the moon a derived light! He determined for it phases – that you may know the number of years and account. God has not created this except in truth. He details the signs for a people who know. (10:5)

It is God who erected the heavens without pillars that you see, then arranged them for dwelling. The sun and moon are exploited. All is intended for a specified term. He arranges matter. He details the signs that you may, of the meeting with your Lord, be certain! (13:2)

And We have made the night and day two signs, and We erased the sign of the night and made the sign of the day visible that you may seek bounty from your Lord and may know the number of years and the account. And everything We have set out in detail! (17:12)

Along with the above word, God applies the words بين (bayina, bayinun) in the Quran, meaning “to explain, to show, clear, explicit, obvious“. And بينة(bayinatun), meaning “explicit proof, testimony.” By these terms, the Almighty made it clear who should explain His Word:

The blazing (Ramadan) month in which was revealed the Literature (Quran), a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion (2:185)

…Thus does God make clear His signs to the people that they may become circumspect. (2:187)

…Thus does God make clear to you His signs that you may be grateful! (5:89)

And the day when We will resurrect among every headship a witness over them from themselves. And We will bring you, as a witness over your nation. And We have sent down to you the Prescription as clarification for all things and as guidance and mercy and good tidings for the humble. (16:89)

And thus have We sent it down as signs of clear evidence and because God guides whom He intends. (22:16)

Chapter.
Which We have sent down and made it obligatory and revealed therein signs of clear evidence that you might remember! (24:1)

We have certainly sent down distinct signs. And God guides whom He wills to a straight path! (24:46)

…Thus does God make clear to you the signs; and God is Knowing and Wise! (24:58)

Then upon Us is its clarification! (75:19)

God sent down the Prescription to the people so that they would understand Him and follow His ordinances. After all, if the Word of God is not clear to a man, then there is nothing to demand from him. However, the Quran is understandable for all thinking people.

But if you deviate after clear proofs have come to you, then know that God is Exalted in Might and Wise. (2:209)

…And He makes clear His signs to the people that perhaps they may remember! (2:221)

…These are the limits of God, which He makes clear to a people who know. (2:230)

…Thus does Allah make clear to you His signs that you might use reason. (2:242)

…Thus does Allah make clear to you His signs that you might give thought! (2:266)

This is a clarification for the people and a guidance and exhortation for those circumspect. (3:138)

…God makes clear to you, lest you go astray. And God is Knowing of all things! (4:176)

Of course, the representative of any direction in Islam, relying on the command of God to obey the prophet, will insist on the execution of his orders. No one disputes this thesis. But the stumbling block is exactly how we should obey him? What commands of the messenger do we have to fulfil? There is an opinion that it is necessary to rely on the traditions about the messenger himself. But the text of the Quran gives us something else/on contrary:

They ask you about substance that covers the mind and gambling. Say, “In them is great sin and benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit.”
And they ask you what they should spend.
Say, “The excess.”
Thus God makes clear to you the signs that you might give thought. (2:219)

And We revealed to you the reminder that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought! (16:44)

Say, “Indeed, I have been forbidden to serve those you call upon besides God once the clear proofs have come to me from my Lord, and I have been commanded to be humble before the Lord of the worlds.” (40:66)

It is He who sends down upon His servant clear evidence that He may bring you out from darknesses into the light. And indeed, God is to you Compassionate and Merciful! (57:9)

God has sent down to you the messenger with the reminder, reciting to you clarified signs of God that He may bring out those who believe and corrected themselves from darknesses into the Light. And whoever believes in God and corrects himself – He will admit him into gardens beneath which rivers flow to abide therein forever. God will have perfected for him a provision! (65:11)

From these passages it becomes clear that obedience to the messenger is limited to following the Prescription that he gave us. As God said in the Quran, all the messengers came with the same mission. And the requirement for people has never changed.

And We did not send any messenger except [speaking] in the language of his nation to state clearly for them, and God sends astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise! (14:4)

Has there not reached you the message of those before you – the people of Nuh (Noah) and ‘Aad and Thamud and those after them? No one knows them but God!

Their messengers brought them clear proofs, but they returned their hands to their mouths and said, “Indeed, we are closed from that with which you have been sent, and indeed we are, about that to which you invite us, in disquieting doubt!” (14:9)

They replied, “Never will we prefer you over what has come to us of clear proofs and [over] He who created us. So decree whatever you are to decree. You can only decree for this worldly life. (20:72)

And We have certainly sent down to you distinct signs and examples from those who passed on before you and an exhortation for those who circumspect. (24:34)

Then can we say that God did not sufficiently explain the Prescription? Do we have the right to speak about the insufficiency of the Quran as divine guidance?