• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims Only: Is it possible to be a Muslim and also an atheist?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Greetings folks, it's the pesky mouse again.

I am very interested in what our Muslim members think in regards to the idea that one can be a Muslim Atheist. Due to the Shahada, the first pillar of Islam, I cannot see how it is possible, but I thought it best to defer to your opinions on the matter.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

For background on this, feel free to examine this thread... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/theological-concepts/165805-muslim-atheism.html

Thanks in advance.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
*Squeak*

So IMO you cannot be a Muslim Atheist, as the term "Muslim" means "one who submits". Who or what is a Muslim Atheist submitting to? An ideology?

I think implementing the principles of Islam sounds great on paper, but realistically, it sounds impossible since the basic premise of Islam is to worship one God and one God only. Every chapter of the Qur'an (except for one) begins with a supplication to God, "the most beneficent, the most merciful".

:shrug:

ametist

i read a thread about muslim atheist philosphy the other day.the owner of it seem like is inspired from quran and it was rather interesting. he admits that it is a philosophy though not a religion what he has in his mind. at some point deep inside what he was saying was igniting a spark and then another and then another.:) but it was rather detailed and i wasnt very well focused intellectually since the idea was too striking.
no god- but allah. something to consider really.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
i read a thread about muslim atheist philosphy the other day.the owner of it seem like is inspired from quran and it was rather interesting. he admits that it is a philosophy though not a religion what he has in his mind. at some point deep inside what he was saying was igniting a spark and then another and then another.:) but it was rather detailed and i wasnt very well focused intellectually since the idea was too striking.
no god- but allah. something to consider really.

No doubt, it is very interesting and definitely brings up some fascinating points. :)

Pastek

Sunni muslim

I am very interested in what our Muslim members think in regards to the idea that one can be a Muslim Atheist. Due to the Shahada, the first pillar of Islam, I cannot see how it is possible, but I thought it best to defer to your opinions on the matter.

For background on this, feel free to examine this thread... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/theological-concepts/165805-muslim-atheism.html

Thanks in advance.

Anyone who have read the Quran knows that the base of this Book is the Oneness of God, and something like 1/3 of the Quran is about the hereafter (with Hell for disbelievers).
Of course there's some rules and some specific events too, but the majority is about those who believe in God and those who reject faith with again and again the exemples of the previous messengers.

So i think it doesn't make sense.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thanks in advance.

No. It's not possible.