• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims not equal to Hindus: BJP leader

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘Dr Subramanian Swamy, a senior leader of the ruling party, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and a member of India’s parliament, has said that Muslims are not equal citizens since they pose a threat to the world. He was speaking to journalist Isobel Yeung when he slammed over 200 million people of his own country; Muslims.

He was supposed to justify an ongoing human rights crisis in India, where Muslims are treated like second-class citizens. “On this issue, the country is with us,” he told Yeung. “Most people like our hard-line approach to solving pending problems.”’

Read more here: Muslims are not equal to Hindus, declares BJP’s top leader Subramanian Swamy

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Religious fanaticism and nationalism are a combination that tramples on freedoms and human rights wherever it exists. It seems Mr. Swamy harbors this reprehensible, hateful combination in spades.

I hope India's Muslim minority and the reasonable Hindus among the majority manage to overcome this rhetoric and not allow it to instill hatred or lead to more violence.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Quite a few Hindus have been provoked by the BJP leaders in recent months to take to the streets in support of treating Muslims as equals. So Mr. Swamy's comment that the country is with him should not be taken at face value. Even Hindus are out in force protesting the BJP's extremism. He and his only have the support of some Indians -- not the entire country.

Hellbound Serpiente

What has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. First, our Jewish brothers and sisters suffered, and now, it's our turn to be tested. History repeats itself

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
‘Dr Subramanian Swamy, a senior leader of the ruling party, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and a member of India’s parliament, has said that Muslims are not equal citizens since they pose a threat to the world. He was speaking to journalist Isobel Yeung when he slammed over 200 million people of his own country; Muslims.

He was supposed to justify an ongoing human rights crisis in India, where Muslims are treated like second-class citizens. “On this issue, the country is with us,” he told Yeung. “Most people like our hard-line approach to solving pending problems.”’

Read more here: Muslims are not equal to Hindus, declares BJP’s top leader Subramanian Swamy

Classic example of how dangerous fundamentalism can rear its ugly head in pretty much any religion. It's not limited to Islam or Christianity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Classic example of how dangerous fundamentalism can rear its ugly head in pretty much any religion. It's not limited to Islam or Christianity.

In this sad world, there are even pistol-packing fundamentalist Buddhists.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

Subramanian Swamy is a maverick. He is quite like India's most famous and costliest former lawyer, Ram Jethmalani (I hope you have heard the name), who also was once with us. They were/are not core members of the party. Swamy was hoping to be the finance minister of India, but Modi did not fulfill his desire. We (speaking as a supporter of the ruling party in India) do not take Subramanian Swamy seriously, but he is useful, he is fun, he is smart. He has instituted a few nice cases against the Gandhi family.

Ram Jethmalani, Subramanian Swamy
220px-Ram_Jethmalani.jpg
220px-Subramanian_Swamy.JPG

Yes, we want strict action against all trouble-makers, whatever be their religious belief, we have no time to mollycoddle them. Law-abiding majority of Muslims face no problem in India. They (I say this emphatically), are ours.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

I risk my existence in India by criticising these bunch of ruling party goons who have transformed India into a pressured cooker of hatred. This is what I call maverick leadership. They do not envisage that India cannot live with continuous strife between Muslims and Hindus. And at least 40 % of Hindus are like me in India. And, even now, the Constitution is solidly secular -- which cannot be said of many other countries -- including Christian western countries.

But, it is not one-sided. Pakistan has long been known to have plotted for numerous communal disturbance in India, to have masterminded bombing in Mumbai in 1992 and at a Mumbai Hotel in 2008. Fundamentalists killed Benazir Bhutto, Salman Taseer, Mujibar Rahaman (in Bangladesh). Each of these attacks has emboldened BJP. Recently more than 30 Sikhs were killed in a Gurudwara in Afganistan. Wherever there has been communal trouble, BJP has gained power, Now the division is so blatant. People blame USA's friend Saudi Arabia's money for much of trouble. But I do not know.

Such blatant propagation of separateness and hatred is against the very concept of Hinduism and Islam and of humanism.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

Religions do not teach that. Do you think that Trump who claims to be Christian, is one?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Religions do not teach that. Do you think that Trump who claims to be Christian, is one?

Well clearly some religions (or if you prefer, versions of religions) do - or we wouldnt see what we see here.

Personally, no I don't think Trump is actually a Christian. He said in the 2016 campaign he's never asked God for forgiveness for anything, because he's never seen a reason to ask. His political base is heavily Christian, though, so he has to put on some nominal appearance of faith to appease them.

Trump is pretty uniquely pathological in his level of bullsh*t, though. Surely you're not claiming that every single human who has ever done anything evil in the name of their religion is just faking their beliefs, are you?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Een as BJP's base is the majority Hindu population who have been fed with stories of cruel Muslim invaders and how Muslims are intrinsically bad. BJP does not teach Hinduism or Vedanta. BJP capitalises on hatred and majoritarianism. Nearly similar is the case with rightist majoritarianism in every country although the whole idea of 'us and them' is actually anathema to religions, which teach of submitting (surrender) ego-identity or teaches us to realise the unreality of the ego-identity.

You're basically committing a no true Scotsman here. Anyone who teaches your version of religion is "really" practicing religion, anyone who teaches any version other than that is not really teaching religion.

Isn't it more accurate to just admit that religion is what we make it? It can be used for the good of society, or for bad. You can find proof texts in the Bible, for instance, that teach horrible things, and proof texts that teach nice things. It's cherry picking to say that the former "aren't really the teachings of the religion" but the latter are. They both are.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I risk my existence in India by criticizing these bunch of ruling party goons who have transformed India into a pressured cooker of hatred.

But, it is not one-sided. Pakistan has long been known to have plotted for numerous communal disturbance in India, to have masterminded bombing in Mumbai in 1992 and at a Mumbai Hotel in 2008. Recently more than 30 Sikhs were killed in a Gurudwara in Afganistan.

Such blatant propagation of separateness and hatred is against the very concept of Hinduism and Islam and of humanism.
Well, Atanu, with all your good intentions, you cannot escape IS, Lashkar, Hizbul Mujahidin, SIMI, PFI, etc. There is no bar to differ with the government or agitate against it. It has been proven by the 100 day road blockade at Shaheen Bagh. Of course, you cannot transgress the law in your criticism.

You can, of course, bury your head in sand and say that nothing has happened or is happening.
You do agree that it is not one-sided.

During this Coronavirus episode, the Jamaat flouted all rules of the government of India with complete impunity, and endangered all sections of the society. Those who attended the Jamaat mettings form 35% of the total infected.
Tablighi Jamaat - Wikipedia

Such separatism is not at all against the concept of Islam, actually it is advocated in Quran.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Ha ha no. I am saying that we all act more or less as individual doers and not as surrendered Muslims or Hindus.

That's nice, but is not actually a response to what I said. You're claiming anything that agrees with your interpretation of your faith is "really" religion, and anything that doesn't is just a fake. But that's exactly what extremist violent fundamentalists say about you. Both commit the No True Scotsman fallacy. The truth is, you're both Hindus. You just have different interpretations of your religion.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably you are wilfully misinterpreting me. I am saying that I act (as I do) impelled by my sense of individuality. 99 or more per cent people do that only. Religions, on the other hand, teach full surrender. So, it is not correct to blame religious teachings for frailties of ego.

No, your version of religion teaches "full surrender" of individuality. Your view doesn't universally define all of religion.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam means 'surrender'. And Jesus' last message was 'Thy will be done'.

I didn't realise Christianity and Islam were the world's only religions? And fundamentalist Muslims believe their actions in the name of Islam are surrender to Allah's will. And Christian fundamentalists also pray for God's will to be done.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atanu, you forget that all opposition parties subsist by creating fear in the Muslim mind of the Hindu majority. Till now they have continued with unjust appeasement policies to get Muslim votes. It is not BJP which is communal but the opposition parties.
It is OK to say in philosophically that we should all be peaceful, but in the bad bad world, it does not work that way. There are elements which need to be put down, like the 9 terrorist that we have killed in the past 24 hours. No, I do not say or think that all 200 million Muslims in India are at fault. Many of them are serving the nation in military and have sacrificed their life for the country. I have the highest respect for them in my heart, nothing less than any God. My personal favorites are Ashfaqullah Khan who died for the independence of India and Captain Haneefuddin, a Kargil War hero.