• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims, Do you consider Zarathustra as a Prophet?

David1967

Premium Member
His message came in about 3,500 years ago, if not longer ago. It is very hard to determine but a conservative estimate is about 1,500 years before Christ.

No, none of his teachings were noticeably Islamic.

Yeah it would be like calling a Hindu a Christian during that time.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Folks of other religions with prophets; do you believe in Zarathustra?
I don't believe in him; yet accept the message he delivered that God is one, and there will be a cleansing of the earth.... Even got the Pazand on my site, since it is so close to our mission. :innocent:

use_your_brain

He could be a prophet of Allah or not.
"And for (almost) every nation (or community), there is a Messenger; when their Messenger comes, the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged." (Qur'ân 10:47)

"And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): "Worship Allah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghut (all false deities, etc. i.e., do not worship Taghut besides Allah)." Then of them were some whom Allah guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth)." (Qur'ân 16:36)

". . . And there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past)." [Qur'an 35:24)
"of some messengers we have already told thee the story; of others we have not." (Qur'an 4:164)

Narrated jabir bin abdullah: The Prophet said, "every prophet used to be sent to his nation only but i have been sent to all mankind."

Abu Dharr said: I said: O Messenger of Allah, how many Prophets were there? He said: “One hundred and twenty four thousand.” I said: O Messenger of Allah, how many of them were Messengers? He said: “Three hundred and thirteen, a good number.” I said: O Messenger of Allah, who was the first of them? He said: “Adam.” …

So was Zarasutra, as well as Khrisna, Zoroaster, Sirus, Sidharta prophets of Allah? wallahu allam.

Sundance

Premium Member
As a Bahá'í, my scriptures very much so recognize Zoroaster as a Messenger - or (in Bahá'í lingo) Manifestation - of God, and the Zoroastrian religion (as well all other religions, especially the major ones) as divinely revealed.

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
Hmm... I can't say that I've read much of the Quran, but what little I've read is quite a bit different from the Gathas... =/

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I've come across some Muslim sites, blogs, etc. that state they believe that Zarathustra was a prophet sent by Allah. Here, for instance, "(a.s.)" succeeds the Prophet's name, indicating that the blogger here thinks of him as an Islamic prophet:
http://themuslimtimes.info/?attachment_id=121314

I don't particularly like the idea that Islam considers Zarathustra one of its Prophets, but each to his own.

Also, not just aimed at Muslims: Folks of other religions with prophets; do you believe in Zarathustra?

:)
Peace be on you.
Quran

[21:26] And We sent no Messenger before thee but We revealed to him, saying, ‘There is no God but I; so worship Me alone.’

[13:8] ....... Thou art, surely, a Warner. And there is a Guide for every people.

There are strong reasons for considering Zarathustra [Zoroaster] a prophet of God:
1- When a religion is seen, being followed by many people over a long time, it is indication that originally it was from God and latter it was mixed up with people's ideas. [An observation by Ahmadiyya Promised Messiah Mahdi, on whom be peace]

2=The basic teaching of all revealed religions is same in essence. Worship God, and human rights.

3= ""One can safely deduce from an in-depth study of Zoroastrianism that what was later referred to as an independent God of darkness, was only identical to the concept of a devil found in traditional religions like Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It seems that at some stage the followers of Zoroasteras began to misunderstand his philosophy of good and evil, and took them to be the manifestation of two independent, conscious supreme beings who coexisted eternally. .....

.........The role ascribed to Satan in other religions is ascribed to Ahraman in Zoroastrianism. Most likely the adherents of Zoroastrians of later ages got the concept of Satan mixed up with the idea of an independent god of evil, believed to be the supreme master of the forces of darkness. This one blunder on their part led to yet another blunder. Ahraman, the 'God of Evil', is portrayed as sharing eternity with the One and Only Supreme Creator.

THE ONLY QUESTION which remains to be resolved is, why do the Zoroastrians find the idea of duality so fascinating that once it took root into their doctrine, it continued to flourish securing a permanent place for itself? It must have happened during the phase of intense philosophical activity when the question of evil and suffering specifically bothered their thinkers. ............

Incidentally, it should also be mentioned here that all Zoroastrians do not subscribe to this so-called Zoroastrian doctrine of duality. There are those, though small in number today, who strongly defend the cause of Unity within Zoroastrianism. Most of these unitarians must have been powerfully pulled towards Islam as it entered Persia. It should be remembered that apart from duality and the consequent fire worship, the rest of the Zoroastrian faith is much closer to Islam than to any other faith.....""
Ref:https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_2_section_5.html

=== According to Zoroastrian belief, "Finally, Zarathustra articulated the kernel of the idea of a Savior figure, the Saošyant (Mid. Pers. Sōšyans), who would arrive in the future to redeem the world."

This is exactly what the concept about Imam Mahdi according to Ahmadiyya-Muslims.

Thus, based on reason, Hazrat Zarathustra [Zoroaster], on whom be peace, was Prophet of God.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
The Gathas are the only parts of the Zoroastrian scriptures which Zoroaster was actually the author of.

Yes, I know, but which are accepted varies among Zoroastrians! The Vendidad isn't so hot on gay people, but of course reform movements within Zoroastrianism take the Gathas over the Vendidad.

Corthos

Great Old One
Yes, I know, but which are accepted varies among Zoroastrians! The Vendidad isn't so hot on gay people, but of course reform movements within Zoroastrianism take the Gathas over the Vendidad.

That's true... Think about this, though. The book of Mormon is accepted by some Christians while rejected by others. Those Christians who accept it are called Mormons. It's my understanding that Zoroastrians who reject anything besides the Gathas are called Gathic Zoroastrians.

I wouldn't criticize a Catholic for the book of Mormon, so why criticize a Gathic Zoroastrian for the Vendidad? That doesn't make sense to me. =/

(curses, auto correct!)

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I suppose I agree, rather bizarrely. I do think all great religious teachers are ultimately addressing the same Truth, if differently, and even if their understandings differed in some details in some cases. I don't know about Cyrus the Great though.
Quran mentions events that pertain to Cyrus the great, under the title Zul-Qarnain:
[18:84]And they ask thee about Dhu’l Qarnain. Say, ‘I will certainly recite to yousomethingof his story.’
[18:85]We established him in the earth and gave him the means toaccomplisheverything.
[18:86]Then he followed acertainway
[18:87]Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it setting in a pool of murky water, and near it he found a people. We said, ‘O Dhu’l Qarnain, either punish them, or treat them with kindness.’
[18:88]He said, ‘As for him who does wrong, we shall certainly punish him; then shall he be brought back to his Lord, Who will punish him with a dreadful punishment.’
[18:89]But as for him who believes and acts righteously, he will have a good reward, and We shall speak to him easywordsof Our command.
[18:90]Thenindeedhe followedanotherway
[18:91]Until, when he reached the rising of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had made no shelter against it.
[18:92]Thusindeed it was. Verily, We encompassed with Our knowledgeallthat was with him.
[18:93]Then he followedanotherway
[18:94]Until, when he reached the place between the two mountains, he found beneath them a people who would scarcely understand a word.
[18:95]They said, ‘O Dhu’l Qarnain, verily, Gog and Magog are creating disorder in the earth; shall we then pay thee tribute on condition that thou set up a barrier between us and them?’
[18:96]He replied, ‘The power with which my Lord has endowed me about this is better, but you may help me with physical strength; I will set up between you and them a rampart.
[18:97]‘Bring me blocks of iron.’They did sotill, when he had levelled up the space between the two mountain sides, he said, ‘Nowblowwith your bellows.’They blewtill, when he had made itred asfire, he said, ‘Bring me molten copper that I may pour it thereon.’
[18:98]So they (Gog and Magog) were not able to scale it, nor were they able to dig through it.
[18:99]Thereuponhe said, ‘This is a mercy from my Lord. But when the promise of my Lord shall come to pass, He will break it into pieces. And the promise of my Lord iscertainlytrue.’
[18:100]And on that day We shall leave some of them to surge against others, and the trumpet will be blown. Then shall We gather them all together.
[18:101]And on that day We shall present Hell, face to face, to the disbelievers —

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=18&verse=92
Regards

Kirran

Premium Member
Quran mentions events that pertain to Cyrus the great, under the title Zul-Qarnain:
[18:84]And they ask thee about Dhu’l Qarnain. Say, ‘I will certainly recite to yousomethingof his story.’
[18:85]We established him in the earth and gave him the means toaccomplisheverything.
[18:86]Then he followed acertainway
[18:87]Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it setting in a pool of murky water, and near it he found a people. We said, ‘O Dhu’l Qarnain, either punish them, or treat them with kindness.’
[18:88]He said, ‘As for him who does wrong, we shall certainly punish him; then shall he be brought back to his Lord, Who will punish him with a dreadful punishment.’
[18:89]But as for him who believes and acts righteously, he will have a good reward, and We shall speak to him easywordsof Our command.
[18:90]Thenindeedhe followedanotherway
[18:91]Until, when he reached the rising of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had made no shelter against it.
[18:92]Thusindeed it was. Verily, We encompassed with Our knowledgeallthat was with him.
[18:93]Then he followedanotherway
[18:94]Until, when he reached the place between the two mountains, he found beneath them a people who would scarcely understand a word.
[18:95]They said, ‘O Dhu’l Qarnain, verily, Gog and Magog are creating disorder in the earth; shall we then pay thee tribute on condition that thou set up a barrier between us and them?’
[18:96]He replied, ‘The power with which my Lord has endowed me about this is better, but you may help me with physical strength; I will set up between you and them a rampart.
[18:97]‘Bring me blocks of iron.’They did sotill, when he had levelled up the space between the two mountain sides, he said, ‘Nowblowwith your bellows.’They blewtill, when he had made itred asfire, he said, ‘Bring me molten copper that I may pour it thereon.’
[18:98]So they (Gog and Magog) were not able to scale it, nor were they able to dig through it.
[18:99]Thereuponhe said, ‘This is a mercy from my Lord. But when the promise of my Lord shall come to pass, He will break it into pieces. And the promise of my Lord iscertainlytrue.’
[18:100]And on that day We shall leave some of them to surge against others, and the trumpet will be blown. Then shall We gather them all together.
[18:101]And on that day We shall present Hell, face to face, to the disbelievers —

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=18&verse=92
Regards

Fair enough. I don't personally take the Qur'an as a scripture of any special importance, but I thank you for sharing your view.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ friend Rival
Sorry to ask a personal question. Please don't answer if it is private and confidential.
What made you deviant and from what?
Regards

Kirran

Premium Member
What scripture do you take personally of much special importance and why?
Regards

Personally, the main scriptures are the Vedas (esp. the Upanishads), the Ashtavakra Gita and the writings of any individual who has come to fully know God, who is expressing vidya (vidya is a term for correct knowledge, right knowledge, it refers to knowledge about the deeper truths of reality). These texts, because they fit in my tradition and contain vidya. I do not say that texts of other traditions do not contain vidya, I think it is to be found elsewhere, as these truths are universal.

Corthos

Great Old One
Personally, the main scriptures are the Vedas (esp. the Upanishads), the Ashtavakra Gita and the writings of any individual who has come to fully know God, who is expressing vidya (vidya is a term for correct knowledge, right knowledge, it refers to knowledge about the deeper truths of reality). These texts, because they fit in my tradition and contain vidya. I do not say that texts of other traditions do not contain vidya, I think it is to be found elsewhere, as these truths are universal.

I agree with you that one text doesn't hold some monopoly of truth. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that people of faiths generally want what they consider the "greater good" to flourish, with good intentions. Whether or not that "good" is greater, or whether or not it is even "good" in the first place, that's where the grey areas and interpretations start to flood in like a thick, blinding fog. =/

Thankfully open mindedness, objectivity, and reason will allow you to rise and help you see over that fog. =)