• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims and Christians?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Ellen Brown

Uh....huh?

Wait. Never mind. I believe that your post, and any response to it, would be incredibly off topic for this particular thread.

I don't get your point anyway.

What is K-Pax? "It's all a funny funny riddle". We've all met Aliens, don't you remember?

dianaiad

What is K-Pax? "It's all a funny funny riddle". We've all met Aliens, don't you remember?

It's a reference to an old movie. Well, 'old' to a bunch of you. I think of the 30's and 40's of the last century when I think the term 'old movie,' but that just advertises my age.

This one, titled, oddly enough, "K-PAX" starred Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges, about a patient in a psychiatric hospital who claimed to really be an alien from the world K-PAX. It came out in 2001.
There is nothing even faintly Mormon associated with it. ( I didn't bring up K-PAX in the first place, remember?) Or, come to think of it, anything much religious. Just a lovely movie where the alien (if there was one) was actually sort of a neat guy with a bunch of good advice.

Sorry about that.

dianaiad

Then all the conflicting contradictory exclusive claims are correct??

Reading for meaning is always a good practice.

I did NOT write that all "conflicting contradictory exclusive claims" are correct. I WROTE that those who are RIGHT make significant claims. If you wish to discuss whether Mormonism makes "conflicting contradictory exclusive claims," perhaps you should address that in the forum dedicated to the discussion of Mormonism..

Or at the very least, start a different thread.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Reading for meaning is always a good practice.

I did NOT write that all "conflicting contradictory exclusive claims" are correct. I WROTE that those who are RIGHT make significant claims.

. . .yes many conflicting and contradictory beliefs systems claim to be those who are RIGHT.

Ellen Brown

It's a reference to an old movie. Well, 'old' to a bunch of you. I think of the 30's and 40's of the last century when I think the term 'old movie,' but that just advertises my age.

This one, titled, oddly enough, "K-PAX" starred Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges, about a patient in a psychiatric hospital who claimed to really be an alien from the world K-PAX. It came out in 2001.
There is nothing even faintly Mormon associated with it. ( I didn't bring up K-PAX in the first place, remember?) Or, come to think of it, anything much religious. Just a lovely movie where the alien (if there was one) was actually sort of a neat guy with a bunch of good advice.

Sorry about that.

Sorry also. How did I miss that movie? I'll have to look it up/

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Since we believe that God created the universe (meaning all things) then that would be yes. Wouldn't bug US a bit to meet an alien from K-PAX. I might even ask prot to take me back for a visit myself.

BTW, Mormons have ALWAYS believed that there were other planets, and that some of those planets have life...even intelligent life...on them. We have been made fun of because of that, quite a bit.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to go 'nya nya..."

(Not about the extraterrestrial LIFE, of course, since we haven't found any yet, but that there are a lot of planets out there? you betcha.)

Interesting then surely if you can speculate and believe God created other planets then surely you can believe that there is a great possibility that there re sentient beings living on them as well.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Interesting then surely if you can speculate and believe God created other planets then surely you can believe that there is a great possibility that there re sentient beings living on them as well.
We do. We just don't spend time speculating on who or where they might be. But it definitely would make sense that they exist according to our theology which states that God created "worlds without number."

dianaiad

Of course. We do indeed believe that. Science hasn't found any yet, of course. Intelligent life, that is. We will someday, I'm sure. We haven't been looking all that long, after all.

My point was only that we were believing that there were other planets (and being mocked for that belief) for quite some time before science found those. What's the latest count, now...over 1200 confirmed, and the reasonable speculation that there are, quite literally, billions?

dianaiad

How is the words human being a problem defining?

As another LDS poster has already mentioned, because we ARE an anthropomorpic religion (or rather, perhaps that should be a 'deimorphic' one, given that we believe we were created in God's image), then we expect that intelligent life elsewhere will probably look more like us than like, oh....an amoebae.

As in...legs, arms, digits to manipulate things with, a head to think with and eyes and ears to see and hear with. That would make them, I think, 'human beings,' even if they don't quite make the 'homo sapiens sapiens' classification.

Do I think that they will all be six foot five Viking clones with red hair and blue eyes?

No.

No matter how many alpha male outer space romance novels that get written, I just don't think that's gonna happen.

Darn it.

Ellen Brown

As another LDS poster has already mentioned, because we ARE an anthropomorpic religion (or rather, perhaps that should be a 'deimorphic' one, given that we believe we were created in God's image), then we expect that intelligent life elsewhere will probably look more like us than like, oh....an amoebae.

As in...legs, arms, digits to manipulate things with, a head to think with and eyes and ears to see and hear with. That would make them, I think, 'human beings,' even if they don't quite make the 'homo sapiens sapiens' classification.

Do I think that they will all be six foot five Viking clones with red hair and blue eyes?

No.

No matter how many alpha male outer space romance novels that get written, I just don't think that's gonna happen.

Darn it.

In many ways the LDS take on Aliens and such makes more sense. Some of it about getting to the Celestial Kingdom just seems nutty and hypocritical to me. Spoken as an X-Mormon, back slided and all that.

The most sense seems to come from the premise that in the Abrahamic belief system, hidden under a discarded sneaker, lies the truth.

dianaiad

No, but considering the fallible nature of being human we have a problem here if anybody is RIGHT.

Well, being human does seem to mean that we are incorrect quite often I don't see, however, how being human automatically precludes being right at all.