• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims and Christians?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God? Don't Muslims worship the God of Abraham from the old testament? Aren't Muslims a part of the old testament?I know they called God Allah but this is the God of the old testament right?

Hello. Yes, the two faiths worship the same One. The conflict between the two is complicated but mostly, IMHO, due to cultural factors and rigid, domestic beliefs that grew later.

Peace.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh sorry well mine might say Pagan too, I was a member of a Pagan UU church like I said I still hold a view of male and female God.
I hold a view of a male God and a female Goddess, but they're two separate individuals who are partners in their creative endeavors.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Perhaps I should have said "all human beings" are children of God. :cool:

Well if you did that you'd be in a quagmire because it would render God discriminatory. If we took the very basic idea that God is the Creator of the universe, and knowing that the universe is really, really big then why in some distant place in space where beings living on a planet called K-PAX, are not also God's children?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well if you did that you'd be in a quagmire because it would render God discriminatory. If we took the very basic idea that God is the Creator of the universe, and knowing that the universe is really, really big then why in some distant place in space where beings living on a planet called K-PAX, are not also God's children?
Well, I don't believe that animals are "children of God," or that they are "created in His image." I do believe He created them, though, and that each of them has a life-giving spirit and will be resurrected after death. Mormons actually do believe that God created "worlds without number," and so it is entirely possible that there are beings besides us who are also God's children. If the beings on K-PAX are his spirit offspring and are created in His image, they'd be His children, too. But since neither you nor I know the first thing about these beings, it's all nothing but conjecture, is it?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Isn't that against the LDS belief system?
It's not against the LDS belief system; it's part of it. Here's an official statement from the LDS leadership that may help clarify my position:

ALL HUMAN BEINGS—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This also applies to Christianity I don't know about Jews. Theres no hint of super rich tv pasters who use the money of the congregation to buy jet planes either.

Theres no churches with pastors over it and the alter call to accept Jesus to get saved and no sinners prayer in the bible either. Theres lots of things, really the churc itself is a manmade convention truthfully.
Why, of course churchs are made by people.

Not sure what you mean to say.

Ellen Brown

Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God? Don't Muslims worship the God of Abraham from the old testament? Aren't Muslims a part of the old testament?I know they called God Allah but this is the God of the old testament right?

Being Muslim perhaps I can answer some of this. Hagar and her son Ishmael are spoken of in Gen. 16 and 18 and I believe that Ishmael was the precursor to Islam. Yes, Muslims use Abraham as one of their Prophets, and call those in the OT, people of the book, who are supposed to be respected, as long as they were not attacking the Muslims. Allah is simply the Arabic word for God, and most Arabic speaking Christians in the Middle east call him Allah. Islam was formed by the Prophet Muhammad PBUH in the 7th Century. He is said to have been given the Quran in a cave near Mecca by an Angel over a period of 23 years. It is said that he wrote the Quran down and his wife Aisha compiled it. There are various stories about this.

Phantasman

As a person who see gnosis (gnostic study), the OT god misled the Jews as well as the Muslims. Jesus told the Jews they were following a murderer and liar. The Jews murdered. The Muslims murdered. The Catholics murdered.(they see the OT god and Gospel God as the same). The gnostics saw this and only followed the Gospel of Christ, and never murdered anyone just as Christ taught to love your enemy.

Though Christ had the power, he accepted to be murdered than to murder. The gnostics were slaughtered by the catholic ideology of calling them heretics and they gave their physical lives knowing that their rewards would be much higher than what they would achieve physically. They trusted the Spirit.This is unconditional faith through love, IMO. And I pray to be a small part of what they knew.

We've been killing each other for centuries. It's kind of hard to get over it. Too much history.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, I don't believe that animals are "children of God," or that they are "created in His image." I do believe He created them, though, and that each of them has a life-giving spirit and will be resurrected after death. Mormons actually do believe that God created "worlds without number," and so it is entirely possible that there are beings besides us who are also God's children. If the beings on K-PAX are his spirit offspring and are created in His image, they'd be His children, too. But since neither you nor I know the first thing about these beings, it's all nothing but conjecture, is it?

I wouldn't call it conjecture to believe that there are other sentient life forms on distant planets, but I think it is highly likely. I would agree with you though that it was conjecture on my part to mention K-Paxians considering they are a fictious species of sentient beings belonging to the movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-PAX

Of course you and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to "image of God." I don't think God is anything human as God isn't a temporal and finite being like we humans. God is ineffable, incomprehensible, and incorporeal. That being said it would be impossible for me to conceive an idea of image except that which is limited by my own language and idea, that is we (humans, life forms, planets, galaxies etc) are created from an idea (not likeness) of God. I just find the "children of God" concept to be associated with a tinge of anthromorphism.

Ellen Brown

Looking at the replies, did you want real answers?

Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God?

That my friend is hard to believe.

If that was so, how come, Popes, after Popes have visited Muslin nations and communities and wished them well with no malice in their hearts?

Christianity, unlike Islam, is all about love, forgiving, charity and mercy.

The Lord Jesus Christ had opened his sacred heart to all the people he saw, to Romans who were the merciless oppressors, and the Pharisees who were outcasts.

The Pope Gregory the Great had gone out to embrace Muslims of his times with love and was able to spread the flame of Christianity in their hearts, converting a many Muslim to the Christian faith.

Christianity teaches all human to be the children of one Father in His heavenly abode, Who is the King of the Universe and Who feeds and sustains all his children, the entire mankind.

Conversely Muslims were and still are being taught by their clergy and their first preacher Muhammad, and his scriptures the Koran, not to befriend Christians and that all Christians, after the advent of Muhammad, and his revelation of heavenly dialogues, the Koran, who have not shunned their Christan faith and embraced Islam, shall burn eternally in hell!

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God?
All human beings are in the image of God, Muslims included.

Don't Muslims worship the God of Abraham from the old testament? Aren't Muslims a part of the old testament?I know they called God Allah but this is the God of the old testament right?
Muslims don't accept the Old Testament as such. They claim that it, as with the Gospels, only revealed Islam. The texts that Jews and Christians read today are distortions.

Nominally, Muslims may well intend to worship the God revealed in the Jewish and Christian scriptures. (As they believe it). But that in and of itself doesn't mean much at all as the two religions claim incompatible notions of God. Either Christianity is a distortion, or Islam is a false religion. One invalidates the other.

Last edited:

Riders

That my friend is hard to believe.

If that was so, how come, Popes, after Popes have visited Muslin nations and communities and wished them well with no malice in their hearts?

Christianity, unlike Islam, is all about love, forgiving, charity and mercy.

The Lord Jesus Christ had opened his sacred heart to all the people he saw, to Romans who were the merciless oppressors, and the Pharisees who were outcasts.

The Pope Gregory the Great had gone out to embrace Muslims of his times with love and was able to spread the flame of Christianity in their hearts, converting a many Muslim to the Christian faith.

Christianity teaches all human to be the children of one Father in His heavenly abode, Who is the King of the Universe and Who feeds and sustains all his children, the entire mankind.

Conversely Muslims were and still are being taught by their clergy and their first preacher Muhammad, and his scriptures the Koran, not to befriend Christians and that all Christians, after the advent of Muhammad, and his revelation of heavenly dialogues, the Koran, who have not shunned their Christan faith and embraced Islam, shall burn eternally in hell!

If that were true Muslims would be in able to accept Universalists too. I have a guy friend who is Muslim and he is not biggoted against Christians.

WH.Khos

learning is one way to find good truth

asslamungalaikum

Hai...
May name is WH.Khosi
I'm a muslim from the the largest Islamic country in the world (Indonesia), with a Muslim population of 228,608,665 in 2017
with that number we can seize the iron throne (game of throne) hehe ...

please allow me to comment a little, sorry if I make a mistake on my comments

1. Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God?

don't ask me i'm a muslim

2. Don't Muslims worship the God of Abraham from the old testament?

yes
we admit that ibrahim (abraham) is the Rosul (prophet) god

وَاذْكُرْ فِي الْكِتَابِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ إِنَّهُ كَانَ صِدِّيقًا نَبِيًّا Quran Suroh Mariyam :41

"Tell them (Muhammad) the story of Abraham in the Book (Qur'an) is. Verily he is a very righteous man of the Prophet. "

3. Aren't Muslims a part of the old testament?

yes we are
the requirement to be a Muslim is to believe in the holy book before the Koran.

this what quran say :

نَزَّلَ عَلَيْكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَأَنزَلَ ٱلتَّوْرَىٰةَ وَٱلْإِنجِيلَ Quran Suroh. 'Ali `Imran [3] : 3

He sent down the Book (Qur'an) to you in truth; justify the previously revealed book and decrease the Torah and the Gospel,

4. I know they called God Allah but this is the God of the old testament right?

Yes...
from the Quranic verse (Ali Imran; 3) above can be concluded so
but sorry I have not been able to show any specific Quranic verses about it.
let it be my homework.

the and
so thank you

@LuisDantas @Musing Bassist @shunyadragon
@Father Heathen @Indian Iconoclast
@Riders @Phantasman
@Ellen Brown @Regiomontanus
@Epic Beard Man @Estro Felino
@Katzpur @Shadow Wolf

Last edited:

Riders

asslamungalaikum

Hai...
May name is WH.Khosi
I'm a muslim from the the largest Islamic country in the world (Indonesia), with a Muslim population of 228,608,665 in 2017
with that number we can seize the iron throne (game of throne) hehe ...

please allow me to comment a little, sorry if I make a mistake on my comments

1. Why don't Christians consider Muslims and believe they are children of God?

don't ask me i'm a muslim

2. Don't Muslims worship the God of Abraham from the old testament?

yes
we admit that ibrahim (abraham) is the Rosul (prophet) god

وَاذْكُرْ فِي الْكِتَابِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ إِنَّهُ كَانَ صِدِّيقًا نَبِيًّا Quran Suroh Mariyam :41

"Tell them (Muhammad) the story of Abraham in the Book (Qur'an) is. Verily he is a very righteous man of the Prophet. "

3. Aren't Muslims a part of the old testament?

yes we are
the requirement to be a Muslim is to believe in the holy book before the Koran.

this what quran say :

نَزَّلَ عَلَيْكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَأَنزَلَ ٱلتَّوْرَىٰةَ وَٱلْإِنجِيلَ Quran Suroh. 'Ali `Imran [3] : 3

He sent down the Book (Qur'an) to you in truth; justify the previously revealed book and decrease the Torah and the Gospel,

4. I know they called God Allah but this is the God of the old testament right?

Yes...
from the Quranic verse (Ali Imran; 3) above can be concluded so
but sorry I have not been able to show any specific Quranic verses about it.
let it be my homework.

the and
so thank you

Thank you so much I really appreciate that. My guy friend who is Muslim his name is Malik but that's not his real name. He is from the middle east and his name is so hard to pronounce and so long that he just uses a made up name LOL and I think a lot of middle eastern people may do that here in AMerica.