• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim views on Jesus

Workman

UNIQUE
Just because you believe in one God, doesn't mean it is the same God. The name of the God they believe in is different. The instructions given in the religious books are different. Etc.
But there be only ‘One Name’, and there was None Other Before Me!..for they not did the WORK of GOD!
I did and I will..and I Am

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Because Prometheus is trying to say Jesus does not require our faith in him.

Nope.The OP says nothing whatever about what Jesus "requires". Nor does it talk about "us" and "our" faith, whoever "we" may be.

What it said was that muslims understand God (i.e. the God of Abraham) in a different way, which does not involve Jesus being the son of God. They revere him as a prophet, believe he was the Messiah to the Israelites (so I've learnt) - and even believe in the Ascension, apparently. That is hardly "rejection", it seems to me.

What you may think Jesus "requires" (of whoever you mean by "us") is your interpretation of the scripture you have chosen to follow. Muslims base their faith on a different scripture from yours. How do you know yours is "right" and theirs is "wrong"? They will be equally convinced that yours is "wrong" (or wrongly interpreted by you) and theirs is "right". How can that be resolved? Can it be resolved at all?

It's just the way you have been brought up, I suggest.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I’ve been told that Muslims don’t worship “the same god’ as others do, which doesn’t make sense to me because it implies that there is more than one god. I’ve also been told that Muslims don’t believe Jesus was the son of god so they reject Jesus. I think a better way to say it is that we don’t all understand God in the same way.
The Christians haven't been able to understand Jesus properly, so why should the Muslims or Bahai's be able make a better job of it?
Abrahamic ways of thinking can never get a clear view of the teachings of Jesus because they use faulty thought frameworks. They are outsiders.

Anyway, any philologist reading the Quran will affirm that its written by one person. Ask a palaeographer or a scholar in Classical Arabic. The whole book is written by one person.

This isn't true. There are numerous scholars who consider that it has undergone several redactions or had parts interpolated.

To clarify: it's not true that any philologist/paleographer/scholar will affirm a single author, I'm not saying the claim it was written by 1 person is false or that it has been comprehensively demonstrated that it has had more than one author.

As an aside, at least one recent machine learning study has supported claims of a single author.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I’ve been told that Muslims don’t worship “the same god’ as others do, which doesn’t make sense to me because it implies that there is more than one god. I’ve also been told that Muslims don’t believe Jesus was the son of god so they reject Jesus. I think a better way to say it is that we don’t all understand God in the same way.

I believe that is based on a false concept that the Qu'ran is in error about the divinity of Jesus so the Qu'ran can't be from God. However the Qu'ran is correct about Jesus and it is Muslims who are incorrect about the Qu'ran. So the God that they worship is the one in the Qu'ran and they just don't know Him very well.

I believe the concept held is that the god of the Qu'ran is not the One True God.

I believe the Muslims I have debated with believe as you said because that is what their teachers teach them and without the Paraclete they can't understand the Qu'ran for themselves.

I believe they accept a watered down version of Jesus.

I believe it isn't good enough to say it but it has to be proven.

allright

The bottom Line

If Islam is true every Christian is going to hell

If Christianity is true every Muslim is going to hell

Terry Sampson

Do you understand the Question?

Probably not, but I won't let that prevent me from responding.

Why would a Muslim require a canonical scripture (or as you say non-apocryphal) when they believe the Quran is the revelation that God intended?
  • I believe that there are several irreconcilable differences between many Muslims and many Christians regarding:
    • the nature and contents of the Qur'an,
    • the nature and contents of the Christian Scriptures, and
    • Islam and Christianity.
  • I have reason to believe that those irreconcilable differences evoke/inspire/lead to conversations which, more often than not, are or quickly become polemical, acrimonious, and offensive.
  • Your question to me focuses on a phrase which I used several times in a post to paarsurrey responding to his post to me.
  • Failure to follow our exchanges to the first-in-this-thread post from one of us to the other and to trace previous exchanges between us will obscure the fact that one of us started the exchange, superficially civil, and that one of us said: "... the Christians concept is not based on Jesus belief of G-d. Modern Christianity has Pauline-Pagan-Christ concepts therefore they are far-off to Muslims."
  • Gee, ... I wonder which of us [paarsurrey or me] said that?
  • Starting to get the picture?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Again, I ask.

Do YOU believe in several God's?

Show me where you asked me if i believe in any gods. A post number will do.

Again my statement was accurate. Several thousand gods have been worshipped, and for your information somewhere between 25 and 100 are still worshipped today