• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Spiritual Experiences

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have a question about the spiritual experience of being Muslim.

I believe that across all beliefs there are individuals who have experienced in their life unique spiritual events. Events in which one believes they have been divinely communicated with them in some form or they have felt themselves to be in the presence of God/Allah.

Without passing judgement on the truth of such experiences, I believe the experience itself is very real to the individual. These experiences sometimes cause people to become religious, increase their faith if they are already religious and sometimes change to a different faith. I've spoken with enough Christians to know this is true for them.

I've always assumed such experiences were true among Muslims as well. Whereas some other poster implied such experiences were only common among Christians. Bringing me to realize this was only an assumption on my part.

So I'm asking the question. Are these unique spiritual experience, common among Islamic followers and is it accepted that they occur in the Islamic faith?

cocolia42

So I'm asking the question. Are these unique spiritual experience, common among Islamic followers and is it accepted that they occur in the Islamic faith?

I've had such experiences before I was religious, when I was a Christian, and since becoming a Muslim. It is the reason I believe in God. It is the reason I left Christianity and turned to Islam. It is the reason I stay in Islam.

I know of other Muslims who have had such experiences. Some who became Muslim because of the experience. Some who were already Muslim and the experience increased their faith. And some who left Islam and returned after having such an experience.

I can't say if these experiences are common, but I don't see any reason why it would not be accepted.

In fact, Abu Qatada narrated that The Prophet, salallahu alayhi wasallam, said, "A good dream that comes true is from Allah, and a bad dream is from Satan, so if anyone of you sees a bad dream, he should seek refuge with Allah from Satan and should spit on the left, for the bad dream will not harm him." (sahih al-Bukhari)

And 'Ubada bin As-Samit narrated that The Prophet, salallahu alayhi wasallam, said, "The (good) dreams of a faithful believer is a part of the forty-six parts of prophetism:' (sahih al-Bukhari)

And Abu Qatada narrated that The Prophet, salallahu alayhi wasallam, said, "Whoever sees me (in a dream) then he indeed has seen the truth ." (sahih al-Bukhari)

So it seems reasonable to me that such experiences, at least in dream form, would be accepted in Islam.

We also know that Allah sends His angels to help us. So surely these experiences will be accepted as true experiences in our faith.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Thank you Cocolia for helping to fill in my ignorance.

FYI, I was aware of the story that Lauren Booth (Tony Blair's sister-in-law) converted to Islam after a similar experience.

Honestly I have had my own experiences which have caused me to seek the truth of these experiences. I believe that for those who seek, a path will be provided, just not necessarily the same path.

cocolia42

I believe that for those who seek, a path will be provided, just not necessarily the same path.
I absolutely agree! I often tell people that sometimes the signs are to tell you you are moving in the right direction, not that you've arrived. If I want to claim to believe in a Merciful God who wants us to return to Him, then I have to believe that He will make sure anyone who sincerely wants to return to Him will. And that means allowing many different paths to eventually converge into one.