• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music

Maxist

Who else agrees that the Classical era was the greatest ---this does not include Romantic or Buroke. If so, or if not, what is the greatest work? I beleive that it is Pachelbel's Canon.

Pah

Uber all member
Maxist said:
Who else agrees that the Classical era was the greatest ---this does not include Romantic or Buroke. If so, or if not, what is the greatest work? I beleive that it is Pachelbel's Canon.
I believe Parchelbel was Baroque. If Romantic and Baroque are not included in a definition of "Classical" music, I think the definition is incomplete.

I like several of the Brandenburg Concertos and the epic and symphonic music of Sibelius, specifically Karelia Suite and the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Symphonies.

I wouldn't know what to call as the greatest but they are, and many others, monumental.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Because music is an art form,.....preferences are subjective. How could there be a universal consensus on a perfect piece? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

As mentioned in Druidus' thread about the greatest works of art....my personal favorite musical composer is Mozart. Can't pick a favorite piece however....I would choose a few piano sonatas, violin concertos and symphonies. And the operas would be last. I need more than one choice. :D

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
My favorite is classical music from the romantic period, especially Beethoven, Brahms and Dvorak.

I think the greatest piece of music ever written is Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

Anyone interested in music threads should check out www.keepmusicalive.com

I am retrorich there, also.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Pah said:
I believe Parchelbel was Baroque. If Romantic and Baroque are not included in a definition of "Classical" music, I think the definition is incomplete.
You guys need to hear some of the Scandinavian Black metal... some of it qualifies as "classical" :D

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
My favourite is beethoven, and I think the best piece of music written ever is Moonlight Sonata, all three movements, superb....

I do really like mozart though, his stuff is so easy to play on piano, anyone can learn it, and its just so well composed.

And of course, who can forget pachebel, Canon is just superd, I love the harpsicord in it (which is the main indication of it being from the baroque period, the harpsicord player would act as the conductor back then, but I digress).

:p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ChrisP said:
You guys need to hear some of the Scandinavian Black metal... some of it qualifies as "classical" :D

Scandinavian Black metal ?:eek: ...I didn't see anything abou that on the market reports today!! Don't tell me I have missed another floatation! Ughhhhhhhhhh

Now, talking of music, Beethoven, Handel, Bach, Mozart.........a favourite ? - impossible to decide......maybe "Ode to Joy" From the 9th, by a short lead......... It depends on the day, and the mood.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:
Scandinavian Black metal ?:eek: ...I didn't see anything abou that on the market reports today!! Don't tell me I have missed another floatation! Ughhhhhhhhhh
HAHAHA you're a riot! It's definitely worth picking up some "In the Woods" if you're into King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generator, both also classical bands IMHO :D

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
While I am very fond of Pachabels Canon, I can't go past Vivaldi's Concerto in A for Guitar,Violin, Viola and Cello. I used to go to school with an amazingly talented guitarist who played it with the chamber orchestra we had, and it was just superb.
Handel's Messiah (as a whole) is also up there...though that's because I like to sing in it. You stuff 200 odd people who know their range and can sing the notes they're supposed to despite what's being sung around them in a room...all I can say is:WOW. You come out of that on a real high, let me tell you.:D

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Messiah gives me goosebumbs still, so creepy and dark. Really makes me feel religious in a strange kinda way... :s

Squirt

Pah said:
There is a difference between "classical music" and the "Classical era." Pachelbel's Canon in D falls into the Baroque Era. The Classical era followed the Baroque era and preceded the Romantic era. All of the great works of all three of these eras are considered "classical music."

Squirt

Maxist said:
Pachelbel's Canon in D was from the Baroque era. I know many people consider this to be the greatest period of time for classical music, but my own preference runs to the Romantic era. I would hesitate to name the single greatest work of that era, but I prefer almost anything from the Romantic era to almost everything from the Baroque and Classical eras -- with the exception of Pachelbel's Canon, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Atheist_Dave said:
Messiah gives me goosebumbs still, so creepy and dark. Really makes me feel religious in a strange kinda way... :s
You think it's creepy and dark? I guess the bit that deals with the crucifixion is a bit...as a whole I tend to find it very uplifting. I mean, I'm not hugely religious, but musically, the Messiah really does it for me.:D