• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, I'm this 17 year old that really, really likes to listen to music from the 80s. I pretty much listen exclusively to 80s new wave, pop-punk, hair metal, alternative, and industrial rock. The biggest problem I have with that is that I live in a small town where basically the only place to buy music is Wal-Mart (or I could order from Amazon). It therefore proves to be a problem to buy music in my particular tastes. Another problem is that the radio stations around here suck, and there is no station that plays modern alternative rock. However, I managed to discover Interpol, a modern group that has a very retro sound. They don't have that sound that I absolutely hate aobut modern music.

Anyway, since I can't find this information by listening to the radio, does anybody know of other modern groups (which may be easier to find at the local Wal-Mart) which have the same sort of old-fashioned sound?

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Aqualung, an alternative solution is to download a media player called WinAmp. WinAmp comes with a built in internet radio and music video library with a pretty large selection ranging from different artists and different genres. I don't know if they'll have the types of music you like, but if they do, it might be of use to you.

Good hunting.

Stormygale

The eighties were a time all in itself, as was its music. I know what you are talking about. It had its very own sound that almost all songs in that decade carried. The keyboard was in great use back then. To find that sound again, I think you would have to time-travel to nineteen eighty five..lol..

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Im 18, and 80s rock is one of my favorite types of music. Aerosmith, KISS, Journey, Sticks, and REO are some of my favorites. My favorite kind of Music is 80s metal, Metallica, Megadeath, and Pantera.
Some of Korns earlier albums have a similiar sound. The only problem, Wal Mart only sells edited music, so if they carry any of thier CDs, about 25% would be censored.

Fluffy

A fool
The White Stripes are a modern band who have a very 80's sound in my opinion. Give me Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or Def Leppard any day though!

Amazon is the best for 80's albums because they are so cheap and they rarely don't have one (unless you are looking for underground bands).

I find that I dislike the sound that comes out of a lot of modern, popular bands. Especially most modern punk. The alternative scene is still going strong though! Have you tried looking into any of these lesser known bands, Aqualung?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'm a 'wrinkly' (Over 3 thimes your age) and you most likely wouldn't like my music; Bob Marley, Phil Collins, The Kinks, BeeGees,..I could go on all day.:)

Aqualung

Tasty
Fluffy said:
The alternative scene is still going strong though! Have you tried looking into any of these lesser known bands, Aqualung?

See, the problem is that I don't know the lesser known bands. I don't get any radio stations that play any sort of lesser known bands. The station I usually listen to has never played a song I didn't know, and that's old stuff, not the modern stuff which I'm looking for. It kind of sucks . . . I have to buy more and more cds just to releive my boardam (I have no idea how to spell that
:bonk: )

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
I'm a 'wrinkly' (Over 3 thimes your age) and you most likely wouldn't like my music; Bob Marley, Phil Collins, The Kinks, BeeGees,..I could go on all day.:)

Ahh, Michel, Michel, Michel. Little do you know. Phil Collins is definitely one of my top, perhaps top five, favourite groups, as is Genesis. :jam: I have several Phil Collins albums and several Genesis albums, as well as a greatest hits album by each group. I also like the Kinks, and have been meaning to by some sort of album by them, but I always end up buying something else. I hate the BeeGees, though. My dad has some of their albums on vynle, and my twin brother loves them, but I can't stand thier sound :bonk: . Same with Bob Marley, except nobody in my family likes them.

Fluffy

A fool
I'm a 'wrinkly' (Over 3 thimes your age) and you most likely wouldn't like my music; Bob Marley, Phil Collins, The Kinks, BeeGees,..I could go on all day.
smile.gif
I just got the 3 air guitar compilations and love The Kinks (or at least the 2 tracks, you really got me and all day and all of the night). By the way, Aqualung I suggest you get these 3 (they are all on Amazon) since they are a great introducer to rock from the 50s to the 90s with some classy 80s tracks on their too.

Also try www.bnrmetal.com for a comprehensive guide to metal/alternative bands, most of which are very lesser known. Once you indentify a sound you enjoy you can try spamming that genre and bingo :). Works for me at any rate. Try using the search function on media player (in the guide section) if you want to sample some tracks legally.

Edit: The Kinks have a similar sound to The White Stripes actually, come to think of it. At least from what I have heard from each band (I haven't listened to the latter's latest album though so they may have gone in a different direction).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm a 'wrinkly' (Over 3 thimes your age) and you most likely wouldn't like my music; Bob Marley, Phil Collins, The Kinks, BeeGees,..I could go on all day.
smile.gif
I just happen to like Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller Band, and a few other old groups.