• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music that moves you to tears

exchemist

Veteran Member
Music just has that power

For me, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are that sublime

Also this

I don't find the Brandenburgs do it, as I find them too confident and cheerful, but plenty of Bach can move me to tears. For instance this:

Or this:

Or perhaps less obviously, but in a way more profoundly, this:

It's the 3rd subject that gets me, in which, right at the end of his life, blind and dying, he signs his own name B A C H (in German notation, that is Bflat A C B natural), before the fugue breaks off, unfinished. The BACH theme appears, starkly and dramatically, at 6:31 on this recording, whereupon the music takes off into the higher reaches of chromatic abstraction - it could have been written in the c.20th, instead of 1750.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
John Lennon said he always had to pull off the road, stop his car, and cry whenever "A Whiter Shade of Pale" came on the radio while he was driving.

Which songs I find most moving vary over time. There is no one song that I find most moving. Several of them do that for me.

These aren't the most moving songs, but they do affect me. At least, currently.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I understand "Gloomy Sunday" has something of a reputation for attracting suicide, at least 100 are linked to the song including the composer.

Be careful when listening

Well this did bring a tear or two - as do so many child performances: :cry:

"What is the song about" - Angelina: It's about a sad Sunday :oops:

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

"Time To Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman gets me every time I hear it because not only is the song so very sad but also because it relates to what I had to do 53 years ago this last January. It deals with a man who has to leave someone he so dearly loves because he has to relocate.

In my case, it all too painfully reminds me of having to tell a woman I loved so very much as one who changed my life, as I chose to stay with and eventually marry another woman I also had fallen in love with. It was the most depressing conversation I've ever had in my life of 75 years as she was simply a living saint to me.

BTW, hit "skip the ad" so as to go right into the song:

Psalm 34:18. 'The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit'.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Psalm 34:18. 'The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit'.
Beautiful!

I married the right person though, but the fact I had to leave someone who changed my life and was the single nicest person I have ever run across still just saddens me.

However, we did run across each other by accident about two months after that depressing conversation, and she could have avoided me but didn't. I felt that she had moved on quite successfully as she didn't seem angry, but what felt so utterly weird to me was my standing there talking to someone who I still dearly loved, whereas I was a married man with a child on the way. [OK, so I wasn't a saint! :(].

Cooky

Veteran Member
This one for sure... Because I remember my mom liked it... Brought tears to my eyes this morning after @fantome profane posted it somewhere else.

Ugh... :sleepy:

Last edited: