• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music that moves you to tears

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I usually get misty eyed with music that I associated with a fond memories. Usually Simon and Garfunkel.

There is one group that does get me misty from time to time on its own and its the Celtic band called the Cheiftians. I think its the sheer passion they put into their music and its tears of joy, not sadness.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not sure if the first section of Starless still makes me watery eyed, but it is deeply sad. But then, the whole piece puts me through an emotional wringer - the sadness gives way to a slow inexorable build up of almost unbearable grating tension which finally (after shouting "for god's sake Fripp - just stop!" at the speakers) bursts into a glorious climactic release. Phew.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

And the lyric version from the Broadway production,

Yeah I'm a TLK fan.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"Time To Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman gets me every time I hear it because not only is the song so very sad but also because it relates to what I had to do 53 years ago this last January. It deals with a man who has to leave someone he so dearly loves because he has to relocate.

In my case, it all too painfully reminds me of having to tell a woman I loved so very much as one who changed my life, as I chose to stay with and eventually marry another woman I also had fallen in love with. It was the most depressing conversation I've ever had in my life of 75 years as she was simply a living saint to me.

BTW, hit "skip the ad" so as to go right into the song:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I must admit to not getting that tearful for any music - films quite often - but these are perhaps the closest:

I understand "Gloomy Sunday" has something of a reputation for attracting suicide, at least 100 are linked to the song including the composer.

Be careful when listening

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand "Gloomy Sunday" has something of a reputation for attracting suicide, at least 100 are linked to the song including the composer.

Be careful when listening
Yes! The Hungarian Suicide Song!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is an interesting and tough question. Because there is beautiful music such as, for me, Bach. And there is spiritually uplifting music which has a wonderful combination of words and music. Two of the latter, from youtube:

Awake from your slumber, butterflies of light
Stretch your new wings now, it's time to take your flight
Homo luminous, it's what you've now become
Homo luminous, awake Divine Human
Homo luminous, it's what you've now become
Homo luminous, awake Divine Human

Ilahinoor, Ilahinoor, Ila...Ilahinoor
Ilahinoor, Ilahinoor, awake Divine Human
Our new world now is born

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
so many!

sara bareilles - used to be mine, yellow brick road, brave
grateful dead - eyes of the world, he's gone, shakedown street, china cat / rider..
beethoven symphonies - 7, 9, then the rest
telluride house band - bela, sam, jerry, edgar, bryan, and stuart
delerium - chimera, semantic spaces
andreas vollenweider - white winds, caverna magica..
beatles - abbey road..
CSN
tangerine dream - dream sequence..
Paul Simon - graceland..
The Who - who's next
The Rolling Stones - jumpin' jack flash, that era
James Taylor
Angelique Kidjo - Oremi
Zero 7 - all of it :)
Crusaders - southern comfort, scratch..

and on and on

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Music just has that power

For me, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are that sublime

Also this

For me, it is more the performer than the song. The performance that can bring me to tears.

I could sing you a moving song but the tears that performance might bring ain't the kind your thinking about.