• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music prohibited: why?

Energy

Seeker
Hi,
This is just a short question about Islam: I've heard that listening to music, or making music, is prohibited in Islam. Why is that?
Best wishes,
Moniek.

fatima_bintu_islam

You heard it right, or almost right :) Its the using of Musical instruments which are prohibited according to the majority of scholars.

As for poems sang without Musical instruments than its allowed, one of the four things Islam was made to preserve is the mind. Music make ones irrational, and I speak about what I know and what I experienced, Music may make you do crazy things you wouldnt have done if you were in a normal state of mind :)

Also, one could always control him/hersef from falling into shortcomings with the other gender , but the minute he/she listens to a romantic song or anything similar all desires are up and cant control yourself anymore , and it gives you a state of ivress ( this is a french word, I dunno if it exists in english) if we can say that.

Islam focus a lot on rationality, wisdom , putting feet on earth, which are all attributes that preserve the health and the balance of the mind ( which conducts to the balance and rationality of acts and words for fear that one may regret it after he "woke" up :) )

And Allah knows best.

Sahar

Hello Energy,

The whole issue of singing is controversial, whether it is with musical accompaniment or not. Some issues succeeded to gain the Muslim scholars’ agreement, while others failed. All scholars have unanimous view on the prohibition of all forms of singing and music that incites debauchery, indecency, or sin. As for musical instruments, given the weakness of the evidence indicating that they are forbidden, the rule to be applied here is the one states that all things are originally deemed permissible as long as there is no Shari`ah text that prohibits them.

Singing is no more than melodious words; if these are good, singing is considered good; but if they are bad, such singing is deemed bad. Talk that contains forbidden content is prohibited. What if that talk is accompanied with rhythm and melody?

Singing & Music: Islamic View - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar

I don't believe that music in itself is considered haram (prohibited); it is just like all other forms of entertainment; the haram of it is haram, and the halal (permissible) of it is halal. How can Islam prohibit all forms of music when it is based on balance, and harmony and has a sound nature?

Islam forbids music that contains themes or messages that are profane, immoral, and degrading to the human spirit. So any music that falls into this category shall be considered
haram. On the other hand, any music that uplifts the human spirit, and contains noble and ethically sound themes is considered permissible.

Read more: Qawali & Western Music - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar

Last edited:

Energy

Seeker
Ok, thank you very much for the answer :)
But, if music brings you in 'another state of mind', and can make you do things you normally wouldn't do, then it would be ok if the person who listens to this music, is alone. Because when you are just alone at home, you don't bother anybody. So, is it true that you listen to music when you are alone?

Amica

Hi--
Muslims are divided on this issue. Some believe that all music is haram (prohibited), others believe music that promotes violence, sex and other immoral things is haram. Either way, this believe stems from the Qur'anic verse that mentions "idle talk." "Idle talk" many people interpret to mean the music.
"The Idle talk" is mentioned in the Qur'an in the context of the situations where idolaters in Mecca used to buy books/poetry/music to preach to the people of Mecca at the same time as the Muslims were trying to recite from the Qur'an verses. Idolaters did that in order to block away the Message of the Qur'an and to distract people from listening to the Qur'an.
So, if something (in this case music) is going to distract us from belief in God, from studying the Qur'an, then it is haram. If we would rather to sing, dance, drink, etc. then pray and study the Qur'an, then all that is haraam (prohibited).

Sahar

But, if music brings you in 'another state of mind', and can make you do things you normally wouldn't do, then it would be ok if the person who listens to this music, is alone. Because when you are just alone at home, you don't bother anybody. So, is it true that you listen to music when you are alone?
Music can bring you in another state of mind by being more spiritual and more positive. There are many songs out there that conveys very positive good messages, including romance. But as a Muslim when you are alone or not, you should always listen to the good stuff, you shouldn't pollute your ears by obscene things. Pop music is full of this pollution; "Bad Romance", "Sexy B****"...etc. :shrug:
Music alone without signing can bring you into a beautiful state of mind. I personally appreciate music much and appreciate the good songs. :)

Listen to this song for example,
[youtube]Plkq0sd-n54[/youtube]
YouTube - Maher Zain - For The Rest Of My Life with Lyrics

It's a romantic song but it focuses on the beautiful spiritual meanings not the lustful animalistic aspects...

It is reported that the Prophet sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:
“Music grows hypocrisy in the heart just as water causes the crops to grow.” [Bayhaqi]

So the more you listen to Music, the more your heart becomes like that of a hyprocrit. It gets harder and harder, til it wil be extremly hard to get back your Iman. Even though Music is soothing to you, remember that it gives you fake emotions that you didnt feel before. Like listening to sad music and feeling tearfull and what not. So InshAllah lets keep away from that non-sence and focus n things that will help us in the here after.

fatima_bintu_islam

I think you did not get the essence of what I meant :) . Maybe I wasnt clear enough , so I apologise.

Say you're alone for example, is not listening to a romantic song make you wish having a girfriend/boyfriend who will satisfy your emotional desires. If you're about to fall in love with someone and you're controlling yourself very well in order not to fall into disobedience of ALlah ( love is the first step you know) , wouldnt a romantic song end your control on your self completely.

Im speaking here of romantic songs because theyre the most harmful to humans minds and souls.

As for Islamic songs speaking about Islam and stuff with Instruments, than I have to say that from my own personal experience ; no one is really listening to the words , they may listen the first time , the second time they may dance on it if the music is really cool while theres Allah invocations in it lol , and I swear by Allah that Ive seen it by my own eyes.

And ALlah knows best

I may bring many hadeeths forbidding music but I preferred to focus on the negative effect of it. I may bring them Inshallah if I judge it necessary.

Sahar

No music..no poetry?. These are the things of the heart.
Joea, it's clearly stated that there is disagreement on the issue. Those Muslims who aren't comfortable with music, they are free not to listen to it. But they shouldn't expect others who don't find a problem with music, to adopt their view. Every one can choose what makes more sense to him, as long as it's a debatable topic between the scholars.

In addition, when anyone choose the harsher view, he chooses it upon himself only, not for others.

We have more than one thread for music in Islam DIR:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/58926-islamic-music-dir-forum.html

Last edited:

A-ManESL

According to Imam Ghazali, listening to music and singing is permissible. It is forbidden only if it leads to violation of God's laws ant to corruption for example drinking wine. (Divine love in Islamic mysticism: the teachings of al-Ghazâlî and al-Dabbâgh By Binyamin Abrahamov Pg 152)

Starsoul

Truth
I have struggled with the same thought for many years, and I think I found the answer, but Im speaking from a Muslim point of view, my personal Islamic POV in light of what i know.

Music does feel good to you, but ALL those things that make you feel good are not necessarily good for you. Poetry (sans blasphemy/ obscenity) is allowed in Islam, music from a hollow instrument, is not allowed, and that leaves us with very little musical instruments, like unhollow drums( used for celebrations in ancient times as well).

They say music is food for the soul, i totally disagree, it can be the food for your desires, but not your soul because your soul is beyond material desires, unless offcourse you instill materialism in it. Music is one of the sweetest deception of satan, and the way I see it, When listening to music you go to this another level of thought, feeling, spirituality, and that is a level more akin to your dark side than your real pure side.

Its not like you'll start doing bad things after listening to it every time, but it slowly builds up your thought , logically, to such a level that you involuntarily get quick access to your dark side, the side where satan can take hold of you and swing you any way he likes, while you foolishly reminiscing it as a spiritual experience. Since man is seldom capable of differentiating between his dark side and the actual Light side, It is wise to stay away from music as much as possible.

Plus you cannot have the same feeling of faith and enjoy the sweetness of Eeman when you regularly listen to music, it is just an anti-spiritual potion, inferring from what Ive read about it in the Islamic literature, and from what i feel myself. And If the pagans used it to lure people away from religion through provocative music and dancing, and if it has been mentioned in the Quran as something like, "So why then do you purchase idle talk?" i have all the more reason to acknowledge its odd effects on human mind.

We purchse idle talk, good for nothing , unreal fictionary movies, imaginary love songs etc to continue living in a fantasy bubble of our own where all seems well, and yet it is not. Even knowing that does not change our stance and we actually look forward to being more enchanted by newer songs, newer movies etc etc, since we learn to enjoy our dark side..

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think you did not get the essence of what I meant :) . Maybe I wasnt clear enough , so I apologise.

Say you're alone for example, is not listening to a romantic song make you wish having a girfriend/boyfriend who will satisfy your emotional desires. If you're about to fall in love with someone and you're controlling yourself very well in order not to fall into disobedience of ALlah ( love is the first step you know) , wouldnt a romantic song end your control on your self completely.

Im speaking here of romantic songs because theyre the most harmful to humans minds and souls.

As for Islamic songs speaking about Islam and stuff with Instruments, than I have to say that from my own personal experience ; no one is really listening to the words , they may listen the first time , the second time they may dance on it if the music is really cool while theres Allah invocations in it lol , and I swear by Allah that Ive seen it by my own eyes.

And ALlah knows best

I may bring many hadeeths forbidding music but I preferred to focus on the negative effect of it. I may bring them Inshallah if I judge it necessary.
From what you are saying, it sounds as if it is inappropriate lyrics (words) more than the music itself that could be interpreted as harmful. Is that correct?

fatima_bintu_islam

Both actually, I dont know which is more harmful but from my own experience Music can be much more harmful than words.

Just as an example: There were a lot of ancient arab love poems, you may read them and reread them but it wouldnt harm you as hearing an " Islamic" song with romantic music with it, and it comes from my own experience. I always liked ancient arab romantic songs they're so great and the words are so deep ( not like nowadays words: I love you, I dream about you ohhhh yeeaaa lets dance LOL) ,and they never distable the tranquility of your heart and mind as Music does.

And unless those poems carry unproper words, you'll find many scholars use them for example as grammar or vocabulary examples for their lessons. So the music I think might be more harmful than words.

And Allah knows best

Last edited:

Starsoul

Truth
From what you are saying, it sounds as if it is inappropriate lyrics (words) more than the music itself that could be interpreted as harmful. Is that correct?
There are different opinions on it but most scholars agree that Music itself is not allowed, i understand why though on a spiritual level but its quite difficult to make other people understand who cannot yet differentiate between Eeman ( Faith of a muslim) and state of non eeman (state of non faith) and to those people who really enjoy music ( I myself used to be a very ardent music listener, but Alhamdulilah Ive gained much immunity towards it with the help of Allah SWT).

Like apparently, we all know that lying is bad and yet we lie so many times hoping not to get caught, but spiritually your heart gets darker and darker with time if you become a seasoned liar, and you become a cold hearted insensitive cheat and so on. There are things that affect your spirit and there are things that visibly induce malice and mischieve. Music affects your spirit , and that indirectly affects your actions in an ambiguous sort of a way.

Its like if you listen to music everyday ( as it is referred to as, in a few ahadiths, a reference to the Voices of satan, the satanic whispers etc,) it does make your heart grow cold, dark and weird sometimes, emotionally frozen etc, but when you spend time in the rememberance of Allah and recitation of the Quran, your heart remains enlightened, free of negativity, active on the virtue front and as far away from trouble with Allah's protection as opposed to the uncontrolled situations you are in when you do not remember Allah for one reason or the other. And that feeling does not let you go close to music more frequently, and gradually the affinity for music evaporates.

Here I must mention that one may ask that why no enjoyment for the muslims in this world?, that is because we believe that this world is for work , and for the service of humanity, the comforts and pleasures of this world like entertainment, relaxations and etc are something that Allah has promised us for the eternity, and that too in complete abundance without having to worry about earning a buck for them. The only thing He asks for is Submission and obedience in this world, which is good only for our own selves and the whole humanity, and thinking about things in the bigger context of eternity, all the joys and sorrows of this world seem rather temporary and insignificant.

But we do have Joyous occassions and outings and everything, just sans all the gender exciting elements and vulgarity. Family fun or fun gatherings of women only and men only, no intermingling of the sexes to minimize any lustful interactions/illicit relationships and etc. ( this is what its supposed to be like)

But music is one of those things nobody will ask of anyone straight up to leave when one embraces Islam, it is just something that happens itself with time, as you stop finding it as enjoyable as your spiritual experiences, just no match :)

Narrated Abu Musa: "That the Prophet said to him 'O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Virtues of the Qur'an, Volume 6, Book 61, Number 568)"
Let us look at Noble Verse 4:163 "We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms."
Let us look at Noble Verse 17:55 "And it is your Lord that knoweth best all beings that are in the heavens and on earth: We did bestow on some prophets more (and other) gifts than on others: and We gave to David (the gift of) the Psalms."
In the above Saying (Hadith) and Noble Verses, we clearly see that Allah Almighty did send the Book of Psalm to Prophet David peace be upon him. We also see that Allah Almighty called that Book a gift. If Allah Almighty allowed David peace be upon him and his followers to sing and play music, then how could we then claim that music is sinful and prohibited?