• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music for an exit - to life

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hopefully not too morbid - and still haven't figured out any for my departure (hopefully not just yet) - but a few ideas. So what might you think appropriate?

ecco

Veteran Member

Tangerine-dream-phaedra.jpg

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hopefully not too morbid - and still haven't figured out any for my departure (hopefully not just yet) - but a few ideas. So what might you think appropriate?

I think those who are left behind would chose the right music when i passing away :) but if it was up to me to deside, silence would be my choice :) no music, only time for reaction :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think a doxology would be appropriate to mark the end of a full life. Gloria Patri from Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers:

From the 13:15 mark on this recording:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The music at my exit from life won't be for me, and won't do me any good. Therefore, I leave it to anyone who might chance to mourn, or even notice, my passing, to listen to what will hopefully make it better for them.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ah, what the heck...I'll go with the words from Dido, Queen of Carthage in the opera Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell. As sung by the miraculous American soprano Jessye Norman.

When I am laid, am laid in earth, May my wrongs create
No trouble, no trouble in thy breast;
Remember me, remember me, but ah! forget my fate.
Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

(Most people think of opera as being Italian, or at least European, but I think the Englishman Purcell really created the form.)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Quite a range - as it should be of course - given that the circumstances of a passing will vary so much. Not sure what music was played at this service but I'd like to think there was more laughter than tears at mine too - not going to happen though. :D

gnomon

Quite a range - as it should be of course - given that the circumstances of a passing will vary so much. Not sure what music was played at this service but I'd like to think there was more laughter than tears at mine too - not going to happen though. :D

Sorry I missed that post. That was the greatest eulogy by John Cleese for Graham.

edit: We should all hope for such a eulogy. For it's caring and knowing fellowship.

gnomon

I would want this voice. I know I've posted it before. But this is music, a story.....and...............

I'm tired. ****ing tired.