• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music/Emotion

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Part of my ongoing research into music, and it's effects on the different beings:

What music do you listen to when you are angry, when you are sad, when you are bored, when you are happy, when you are tired, and when you are relaxed? Also, do different types of music sound better during different emotions? For instance, heavy metal, when you are angry?

Thanks!

Circle_One

Druidus said:
Part of my ongoing research into music, and it's effects on the different beings:

What music do you listen to when you are angry, when you are sad, when you are bored, when you are happy, when you are tired, and when you are relaxed? Also, do different types of music sound better during different emotions? For instance, heavy metal, when you are angry?

Thanks!
I always listen to the same kind of music. Basically 70's Rock N Roll and Punk. However, I think I listen to different bands when I'm overcome by different emotions. So I shall answer your questions with band names rather than music genres if that's alright, if not, well then I've wasted a couple of minutes typing. Oh well :D

when you are angry
I'd say GG Allin, Dead Kennedys or Minor Threat because they are more hardcore than the rest. It's easier to get out angry feelings when listening to music that in itself, sounds angry.

when you are sad, when you are bored, when you are happy
I'd have to say these fall into the same category for me because when I'm sad or bored I want to get myself pumped up and giddy and when I'm happy I like to stay that way, so with these three emotions I usually listen to something like The Ramones, The Germs, Sublime or Social Distortion. Anything that sounds...not really pop-y but just something fun and happy. The Germs don't really fit into the happy category of music, but they're my favorite band so they make me happy, even though they're slightly more hardcore than the other bands mentioned.

when you are tired, and when you are relaxed?
I'd say something along the lines of Blondie for both of these. Debbie Harry's voice just soothes me and sends me into this nice little trance that's good to be in when tired or relaxed.

Hope that helped. If it didn't, well then sorry for making you read all this :D

Circle_One

jewscout said:
I like to blast a little rammstein or some old school metallica when i'm pissed:jam:
Rammstein scares me. I've only ever heard one song, but it creeped me out. It was their new video "Amerika" or something like that...I don't know, just scared me.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
When i'm in a good mood i can listen to almost anything from punk to country...but some of my favorites are:
The Doors, Sublime, Hendrix, Chris Cornell
If i'm sad i don't like to listen to music cause most of the time it makes me madder...i tend to just sleep

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Listening to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony always elicits a strong emotional response in me. It's such a majestic composition. The Brahms First Symphony is also very moving.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Circle_One said:
Rammstein scares me. I've only ever heard one song, but it creeped me out. It was their new video "Amerika" or something like that...I don't know, just scared me.
Yeah my gf doesn't like it when i blast it real loud...especially if we're driving to a class at our shul.
I think it's funny...going to a synagouge blasting out german industrial rock:D

cardero

Citizen Mod
I don't usually let my emotions decide which music I listen to, most of the time it is the music the derives the emotions out of me. I am willing to lend you a hand in your research though Druidus. It is a singer that I have been fascinated with all my life. Her name is Billie Holiday and no matter what you are thinking or how you feel or what you are doing her voice demands your attention to stop, listen and reflect because no matter how bad you got it she will always sing in a way that lets you know that she has had it worse.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
carrdero said:
I don't usually let my emotions decide which music I listen to, most of the time it is the music the derives the emotions out of me. I am willing to lend you a hand in your research though Druidus. It is a singer that I have been fascinated with all my life. Her name is Billie Holiday and no matter what you are thinking or how you feel or what you are doing her voice demands your attention to stop, listen and reflect because no matter how bad you got it she will always sing in a way that lets you know that she has had it worse.
Ray Charles has that effect on me.

huajiro

I am a very aggressive person, I listen to nothing but hard rock groups like: 40 Below Summer ,A Perfect Circle, Adema,
Chevelle, Creed, Default, Deftones, Disturbed
Dope, Drowning Pool, Earshot, Evanescence,
Fear Factory, Godsmack, Ill Nino, Korn, Lifer,
Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Metallica,
Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Nickelback, Nonpoint,
Ozzy Osbourne, Papa Roach, Pillar, Puddle of Mudd,
P.O.D., Ra, Rob Zombie, Saliva, Seether, Sevendust,
Slipknot, Smile Empty Soul, Spineshank, Staind,
Stone Sour, System of a Down, Taproot, Three Days Grace,
Trapt, Trust Company, Tool, Unloco, Heroes Del Silencio,
Cafe Tacuba, Caifanes, Jaguares, El Gran Silencio, Fobia, etc

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Disturbed, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down
Those are the ones I like from the ones you've listed. However, I haven't listened to many of the artists you listed. I do like Disturbed a lot though. What is your favourite song?

*Goes off to find some good metal*

huajiro

I am between "Remember", "Stupified", "Shout (awesome Tears for Fears cover)" and "Down with the Sickness".

Check out those groups, they are all very good.

huajiro

By the way....my favorite group is "Heroes del Silencio", they are Spanish rock....one of the best groups you have ever heard, check them out.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
My favourite "Disturbed" song is probably "Remember" or "Voices". I've never heard the "Shout" song...

My favourite "System of a Down" is either "Forest" or "ATWA".

Have you ever heard of "Rhapsody"? They are an italian band, but they sing in English. They do fantasy metal. They're pretty good. Also, try "Blind Guardian". Gotta love them, especially the song "Another Holy War".

I like symphonic music a lot, but I really like baroque. Baroque songs like Pachabel's Canon in D Major really touch me. They're very deep. I can meditate with them if I so choose.

huajiro

I don't really listen to anything but what I mentioned above. (I will check out the groups you mentioned). I do like this one song called "A Lion in Winter"....don't know if that is symphony.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Iso Tomito; "Snowflakes are Dancing" has to be the most soothing sounds on the earth.

Seals & Crofts: "Hummingbird"

Simon & Garfunkle: "Patterns"

The Beatles: "Imagine"

Casting Crowns: "If we are the Body"

??? "Praises to the name of the Lord"

Handel: "The Messiah"

Master Vigil

I knew of a monk who was practicism modeling his chi with his music. Since they both have vibrations. And he was actually able to change the music by using his chi. It was very interesting. Music does and is able to change us, our emotions, as well as our chi.

Fluffy

A fool
Angry: Something really heavy, Heavy Metal is too light for me when Im angry.
Sad: Usually something with violins on top of the standard metal band mix. A good example is some Black metal bands. Also some really tragic lyrics top it off just wonderfully.
Bored: Something really catchy. Could be heavy or light so anything from Marilyn Manson to Britney to Static-X.
Happy: I love listening to ska punk (and punk in general really) when Im happy. However some really heavy metal also makes me hyper when Im happy sometimes. Oh yeah and Power metal... omg how happy is that!?!? :)
Tired:Whatever happens to be on my mp3 player. Could be anything. Nothing TOO heavy though.
Relaxed: Atmospheric music like Tiamat. Its so peaceful!

However, one thing I find that when I find some kind of music that takes a certain emotion to a new level, I find that I normally want to listen to that over my previous choice. For example, when Im angry, I now listen to Slayer and Strapping Young Lad over my older choice of The Haunted simply because they sound far more angry. Also punk now does nothing for me when Im angry... that music is just not angry enough anymore.

Just out of interest, does anyone listen to Noisecore for a particular mood? or at all lol?