• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muse are Atheists

Random

One of my favourite bands, Muse, are self-described atheists and lead singer Matthew Bellamy writes songs on the subject.

I love their music, but am I the only one who finds something strange about a bunch of rock-stars who don't believe in God or gods?

I mean, the whole iconography of the Rockstar is that he/she, up there on stage, is a proxy god or goddess to be revered, sought after and idolised.

Does being an atheistic rockstar negate the whole point of picking up a guitar and connecting musically with the public consciouness on a high(er) level? Isn't music meant to have a divine aspect (eg. the Muses of Greek myth were goddesses)?

Any thoughts?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I love the Muse myself.

I think to each his/her own.

Everyone has their own path to follow in life. And their personal path and choices will bleed into what they do on some level.

Different people are going to have different ideas of what music is meant to mean and how it is meant to connect to people on many different levels. Perhaps their intent isn't to connect with people on a high(er) level.

Maybe they just want to rock out?

standing_alone

Godlike said:
Does being an atheistic rockstar negate the whole point of picking up a guitar and connecting musically with the public consciouness on a high(er) level? Isn't music meant to have a divine aspect (eg. the Muses of Greek myth were goddesses)?

I thought the whole point of picking up a guitar (or any other instrument) was to play and create music, not to become some idolized rockstar. Or at least, if the latter is the prime motivation (to become famous and idolized), perhaps a guitar (or any other musical instrument) should have never been picked up. Being a musician/rock star should be about the music alone and not about becoming famous and idolized. Also, music being meant to have a "divine" aspect is a possibility, if it's religious music, I suppose, but music can also be used to convey a particular message (including those that have nothing to do with the "divine") and/or bring people together. So I would say there is no need for a "divine" aspect for music. Therefore, there is nothing odd about or "negated" by atheist musicians.

Random

standing_alone said:
I thought the whole point of picking up a guitar (or any other instrument) was to play and create music, not to become some idolized rockstar. Or at least, if the latter is the prime motivation (to become famous and idolized), perhaps a guitar (or any other musical instrument) should have never been picked up. Being a musician/rock star should be about the music alone and not about becoming famous and idolized. Also, music being meant to have a "divine" aspect is a possibility, if it's religious music, I suppose, but music can also be used to convey a particular message (including those that have nothing to do with the "divine") and/or bring people together. So I would say there is no need for a "divine" aspect for music. Therefore, there is nothing odd about or "negated" by atheist musicians.

You know, I agree with you. The best musicians always have the pure love of music as their motivation, not stardom or idolization. Here's to Muse and long may they be Atheists! :)