• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MURDER, GENOCIDE, and ATHEISTS.

shmogie

Not quite true - pained as I am to admit it @shmogie does allude to facts (albeit facts he doesn't properly understand) when he suggests the "Cult of Reason" was, to some extent, a case of atheists killing in the name of atheism - or at least in the name of "reason". But it hasn't happened often and certainly nowhere near as often as religious people have killed in the name of God and been proud of themselves for having done so.
I don't properly understand ? Pretty clear. You want me to "understand" that the atheists committing genocide weren't motivated by being an atheists, but rather as part of a bloodthirsty political dynamic,

What possible difference does it make if an alleged Christian is happy to kill for God, and the atheist is happy to kill for political ends, The victims are just as dead, and the atheists have killed many, many more.

You want an exemption from the inclusion of all atheists in the genocide business. Why ? What atheist moral code can you cite to me that should have prevented the genocide ? Is there one ?

I certainly can cite some for Christianity that have existed for 2,000 years.

Condemn me because of history, you get it right back.

shmogie

A system of ethics/morals based upon reason, compassion, and real world cause and effect is far more coherent than a system of ethics/morals based upon irrational, unsubstantiated, and arbitrary superstitions.
Please cite the atheist moral code that all atheists should follow.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Not quite true - pained as I am to admit it @shmogie does allude to facts (albeit facts he doesn't properly understand) when he suggests the "Cult of Reason" was, to some extent, a case of atheists killing in the name of atheism - or at least in the name of "reason". But it hasn't happened often and certainly nowhere near as often as religious people have killed in the name of God and been proud of themselves for having done so.

I disagree that the 'Cult of Reason' was atheists killing in the name of atheism.

The two main causes of the French Revolution are the abuses the Monarchy supported by the church, and starvation of the peasants during the prior years of bad weather (due to the Laki eruption), and low crop yield, and the hoarding by the Christian royalty and elite of the food.

Well, there could have been a reformed, constitutional monarchy which was what most people wanted but for the extremists.

So most of the negative effects could have been avoided. The Ancien Regime created a bad situation, and those who hijacked the revolution made it worse.

shmogie

Once again, Robespierre was not an atheist - he was a Deist. Look up the "Cult of the Supreme Being" - instead of trying to rewrite history yourself, try to learn (at least something) from it.
Yes, there were a few non Christian deists, but that few slaughtered right along with the majority atheists. Feel better about taking your shot ? Do you feel better now about the atheist genocide, or is that history you need to learn about ?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Please cite the atheist moral code that all atheists should follow.

There is no single moral code all theists follow, nor a single moral code all atheists follow, though the 'Humanist Manifestos' over the years reflect humanist morals and ethics developed and supported by many atheists and other humanists.

QuestioningMind

Sorry, but folks killing in the name of 'reason' is still a far cry for anyone killing in the name of a lack of belief in any gods.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, there were a few non Christian deists, but that few slaughtered right along with the majority atheists. Feel better about taking your shot ? Do you feel better now about the atheist genocide, or is that history you need to learn about ?

This response fails to justify your accusations concerning atheists, because your statement 'a few deists lacks any documentation concerning who lead the Revolution,who were the non-Christian versus Christian deists, and those with similar philosophies were among the founding fathers of our country.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well, there could have been a reformed, constitutional monarchy which was what most people wanted but for the extremists.

The extreme movements within those supporting the Monarchy, and the church, equally made it unlikely to lead to a reformed constitutional monarchy. Thomas Jefferson wrote up a proposal for a compromise constitutional monarchy, but it was turned down by Louis XVI, and the church.

Last edited:

shmogie

This response fails to justify your accusations concerning atheists, because your statement 'a few deists lacks any documentation concerning who lead the Revolution,who were the non-Christian versus Christian deists, and those with similar philosophies were among the founding fathers of our country.
LOL, the murdered only about 300,000 people, chicken feed, compared to the total atheist score, so, even if they were all deists (they were not) it is pretty insignificant compared to hundreds of millions.

You just keep on straining out the gnats and swallowing the camels

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
LOL, the murdered only about 300,000 people, chicken feed, compared to the total atheist score, so, even if they were all deists (they were not) it is pretty insignificant compared to hundreds of millions.

You just keep on straining out the gnats and swallowing the camels

You have not responded to the inaccuracies of your biased history to justify your agenda.

shmogie

. . . because you have no references describing killing in the name of atheism.
Are you joking ? Atheism is what gives them permission to commit genocide.
Being atheists, and thus without any established moral code, they can make up their own, and slaughter away.

It is irrelevant as to what name they murdered in. Alleged Christians who killed were breaking the very code that should have prevented them from doing so.

Atheists, the much greater murderers, had nothing in atheism that would prevent them from doing anything.,.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just gonna sit back and let the Christian-Atheist p!ss!ng contest unfold on this one.;)
tenor.gif
giphy.gif

shmogie

You have not responded to the inaccuracies of your biased history to justify your agenda.
I did respond, those 300,000 were all murdered by deists, atheists had nothing to do with it ? Feel better ? I will get back to to you with the exact ratio's, rill then, feel like you won something,

Now address the other hundreds of millions killed by atheists.

Are going to continue to claim that since they didn't kill in the name of atheism, these killings don't count as a black mark on atheism.,? The fact that they were all atheists is just a coincidence, right ?

siti

Sorry, but folks killing in the name of 'reason' is still a far cry for anyone killing in the name of a lack of belief in any gods.
You need to read up - try looking up "Cult of Reason", "Dechristianization" and "Jacques Hebert" - that should get you started.