• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MURDER, GENOCIDE, and ATHEISTS.

Curious George

Veteran Member
According to Philip Axelrod in his monumental " Encyclopedia of War", only 7% of all wars from 8000 BC to the present were religious in nature. If you subtract Islamic wars from the equation, on 3.2 % were of a religious cause. 96% of all wars on the planet had nothing to do with religion.
No disrespect to phillip, but i think it is very hard, if not impossible, to separate religion from either achievements or atrocities in our society. This is because religion is ubiquitous. It is part of our culture and will continue to be so for all foreseeable futures. This tit for tat method that some like to engage is never productive. Perhaps you can explain why your take is productive?

whirlingmerc

People are fallen and it's no surprise from communist atheist to devout religious there have been dark times. Clearly evil in the world is demonstrable from history and the world is in need of redemption.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Baha'is, 1848-54
This one is not correct, it should be filed under “Muslim/Bab’i conflict” as the word Baha’i wasn’t in use amongst the competing sects of the Babi Faith until Baha’u’llah insisted the followers of the Bab choose between Him and Mirza Yahya in 1866, which is outside the conflict date range.
Also filing it under one name would seem to imply a one-sided conflict.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This one is not correct, it should be filed under “Muslim/Bab’i conflict" as the word Baha’i wasn’t in use amongst the competing sects of the Babi Faith until Baha’u’llah insisted the followers of the Bab choose between Him and Mirza Yahya in 1866, which is outside the conflict date range.

I will change my file. Thanks

Edit, Done

siti

The reign of terror in France, whose leaders were influenced by Diderot, Voltaire, Sade, and Rosseau, who worshiped the cult of reason, murdered 300,000 Frenchmen, most for not being good atheists.,The details of their torture and their slaughter are revolting.
Well Diderot, Voltaire and Rousseau - and especially Robespierre who you missed out altogether but was an almost total dictator in the later stages of the 'reign of terror' and the most openly supportive of terror as a means of effecting revolutionary change - were, in fact, deists - who had the atheist leaders of the 'cult of reason' executed and replaced it with the Culte de l'Être suprême - Cult of the Supreme Being - aka "God" - but I don't suppose we should let the facts of history get in the way of a good argument.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
You ever offend yourself to the point that you stop talking to yourself?:eek:
Do you want to take off to the Insult thread with me or do wish to slum it here with this dumpster fire of a pisshole thread? Has far as I am concern @shmogie can go...himself. This person is so odious I wouldn't even waste a curse word on him.

QuestioningMind

One need not be in this forum very long to learn that the atheists here, for the most part, are in full attack mode when it comes to Christianity.

One of their favorite lines of attack is to cite the historical violence of some Christians as a brand on all Christians, with the inference that Christianity is itself a failed endeavor.

Actually, there is a bit of truth to this, when the Church and government became one with Constantine, the greed for money and power superseded the Christian sensibilities of many who claimed to be Christians, and in the name of Christianity, murder and genocide occurred. The hybrid monster of the church and state, or the state and church working together for the same goals corrupted the church.

However, for every brutal leader supported by the church, there were many Christians with no government association who lived the Christian lifestyle and followed in the footsteps of Christ.

What was done in the name of Christianity by a corrupt church and government must be recognized, and cannot be defended.

Since atheists like to put the burning tire of murder and genocide on the neck of most any Christian, I thought a look at the atheist track record in this regard would be worthwhile.

I have pages of specific citations, so, if in the following you feel you need a citation for a sentence or paragraph, I will happily supply it.

According to an article by Christian apologist Gregory Koukl, with citations; " The assertion is that religion has caused most of the bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false, this is one of them"According to Le Monde, atheist regimes killed 100 million people in the 20th century, via genocide.

The reign of terror in France, whose leaders were influenced by Diderot, Voltaire, Sade, and Rosseau, who worshiped the cult of reason, murdered 300,000 Frenchmen, most for not being good atheists.,The details of their torture and their slaughter are revolting.

Koukl summarizes by stating that " It is true that religion can possibly produce evil, and generally when we look closer at the detail, it produces evil because the individual people are living in rejection of Christianity and the God that they are supposed to be following.n so it can produce evil but the historical fact is that the outright rejection of God and institutionalizing atheism actually does produce evil at incredible levels"

There's a HUGE difference between a Christian killing in the name of Christianity and an atheist killing in the name of the all-powerful state.

Curious George

Veteran Member
There's a HUGE difference between a Christian killing in the name of Christianity and an atheist killing in the name of the all-powerful state.
I think he is going for the idea that Christians if guided by true Christian principle will not kill in the name of christianity but atheists will kill if they are true atheists because atheism in itself doesn't have any guiding principles.

David T

Premium Member
One need not be in this forum very long to learn that the atheists here, for the most part, are in full attack mode when it comes to Christianity.

One of their favorite lines of attack is to cite the historical violence of some Christians as a brand on all Christians, with the inference that Christianity is itself a failed endeavor.

Actually, there is a bit of truth to this, when the Church and government became one with Constantine, the greed for money and power superseded the Christian sensibilities of many who claimed to be Christians, and in the name of Christianity, murder and genocide occurred. The hybrid monster of the church and state, or the state and church working together for the same goals corrupted the church.

However, for every brutal leader supported by the church, there were many Christians with no government association who lived the Christian lifestyle and followed in the footsteps of Christ.

What was done in the name of Christianity by a corrupt church and government must be recognized, and cannot be defended.

Since atheists like to put the burning tire of murder and genocide on the neck of most any Christian, I thought a look at the atheist track record in this regard would be worthwhile.

I have pages of specific citations, so, if in the following you feel you need a citation for a sentence or paragraph, I will happily supply it.

According to an article by Christian apologist Gregory Koukl, with citations; " The assertion is that religion has caused most of the bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false, this is one of them"According to Le Monde, atheist regimes killed 100 million people in the 20th century, via genocide.

Koukl summarizes by stating that " It is true that religion can possibly produce evil, and generally when we look closer at the detail, it produces evil because the individual people are living in rejection of Christianity and the God that they are supposed to be following.n so it can produce evil but the historical fact is that the outright rejection of God and institutionalizing atheism actually does produce evil at incredible levels"

"atheists here, for the most part, are in full attack mode when it comes to Christianity"

Well this is a scientifically unverified claim.

You should find a christian to verify this claim, write a paper then run it through peer review get it published and get back to us.

David T

Premium Member
I think he is going for the idea that Christians if guided by true Christian principle will not kill in the name of christianity but atheists will kill if they are true atheists because atheism in itself doesn't have any guiding principles.
Basically whacko! Although i wouldnt say atheism is immune from the same disorder!!!!

QuestioningMind

That may be his argument, as flawed as it might be. Christians, whether they be 'true' Christians or 'false' Christians have killed in the name of Christianity. No atheist has ever killed anyone in the name of atheism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

The scapegoat as to who is a true Christian and who is not goes around and comes around as who is a true atheist and who is not.

This is a fallible human issue, and one could generalize on this subject concerning Judaism, Christianity, Islam and of course, atheists. One thing the Christians cannot do is blame atheist as a belief system that is responsible for genocide.

Your accusations concerning the French Revolution and the cause demonstrate your ignorance of history. It is even worse that you generalize the Revolutionary regimes as atheist.