• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiverse theory and god(s).

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Okay, so multiverse theory states that there are infinite parallel universes where every possibility is a reality somewhere. As for the notion of god, would you say that there is one god that presides over each of these universes, or that each universe has it's own god unique to it? Would you say that some universes have gods while others do not, or that none of the universes have a god? Or is multiverse theory false? Thoughts?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or is multiverse theory false? Thoughts?
It seems impossible to comprehend. 'Every possibility' of every quantum event in every atom in every universe since the beginning of time?? I wouldn't doubt someone can clarify my understanding , but what???

One theory I think reasonable is one espoused by some actual physicists. Quantum mechanics shows a observer effect. Experiments show photons can exist in an indeterminate state until someone looks at them. From this one can speculate a cosmic observer consciousness (God/Brahman). Matter eventually is seen as consciousness observing it (or nothing would ever happen). I am not a physicist but I am sure Amit Goswami or someone can explain it better (and I know materialist scientists dislike any of this).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's a good chance we're in a multiverse based on what we do know about quantum mechanics, but I'll pass on the concept of God or Gods as it is virtually impossible to know this one way or the other.

Chakra

Premium Member
Okay, so multiverse theory states that there are infinite parallel universes where every possibility is a reality somewhere. As for the notion of god, would you say that there is one god that presides over each of these universe
There is one god, but takes different forms in each universe.

buddhist

In Buddhism, every universe in the multiverse is presided by a Maha (Great) Brahma.

Every time a being is reborn as a Brahma (due to his former kamma), he finds himself reborn in an empty universe, which eventually populates with others according to their kamma. Being the greatest being in his own universe (and seeing no other universes), and due to his immense lifespan (cannot see its end, but it does end), he delusionally believes himself to be the Father and Creator God.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Okay, so multiverse theory states that there are infinite parallel universes where every possibility is a reality somewhere. As for the notion of god, would you say that there is one god that presides over each of these universes, or that each universe has it's own god unique to it? Would you say that some universes have gods while others do not, or that none of the universes have a god? Or is multiverse theory false? Thoughts?
The only reasonable answer is "We don't know."

We do not know that a god presides "over" this universe or even if "god" is merely a human construct peculiar to our species or not. We see no evidence, for example, of god worship in the animal kingdom, though dogs doting on their loving masters do get perilously close.

As to the veracity of the various multiverse theories, again, we simply do not know.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The same god in each universe, and unique to it.

That's an image of multiverse, rather than an image of god.

That one dude...

Why should I have a faith?

Multiverse theory is false unless repeatable experiments prove otherwise.

That one dude...

Why should I have a faith?
^

Doesn't matter, which, contextually; If it isn't proven false, it isn't false until proven otherwise.

You presented a contradiction.

I'm answering a question in the OP by saying it's false by default, thereby rendering the other questions moot. I then say it could be proven otherwise just as a CYA policy. Until such time, it is definitely false.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Given how we see smaller pieces constructing larger wholes throughout nature, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that, much cells coming together to form an organism, the multiple universes form something larger than what we call a universe.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm answering a question in the OP by saying it's false by default, thereby rendering the other questions moot. I then say it could be proven otherwise just as a CYA policy. Until such time, it is definitely false.
No, you have situations where it is an 'unknown'. Now, I personally do not subscribe to the 'every possibility', aspect of the original premise, but that's sort of besides the point