• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muhammad

King Phenomenon

I just read on Wikipedia that Muhammad married a six year old. I wasn't expecting to read that.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So you didn't check any sources but blindly believed "wikipedia" but you tell others "as long as you check the sources", yet now you say "I didn't need to".

Sorry but that's a strange position with the dissonance.
I didnt check any sources on this (including Wiki). Its something I know. Checking not required. (Your free to do so yourself and verify my statement, however)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In the time of Muhammad the puberty was the sign of when someone went from childhood to adulthood.

If we look at Europe about the same time kings could Marry 12 year old girls, so it is not that Muhammad was a sick pervert, it was common to Marry in a young age many places.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I didnt check any sources on this (including Wiki). Its something I know. Checking not required. (Your free to do so yourself and verify my statement, however)

You know because this is a famous story, not because you actually know. You have heard it frequently and you blindly believed it. Simple.

Anyway I can tell you that it is very highly disputed, and different sources provide varying stories. Its just that you are not aware. First, the Shi'is believe that Aisha was a loose woman who had bad character before marrying Muhammed. You didn't know this. Are they saying a child had bad character? They believe she was sleeping around a lot before marrying Muhammed. This is because of political differences but this is what they say.

Also there are so many conflicting stories about her, about Muhammed and about her sister. The more authentic sources or older stories about Asma her sister shows that she was 10 years older than Aisha and that Aisha was at least 18 or 19 at the time of marriage.

The story you are referring to taken from the Bukhari ahadith is narrated by Aisha's nephew and re narrated by Farabri, then written down maybe around 5 or 6 centuries after Muhammed. There is scholarship that says the Sunni Muslims at this time were not very happy the Shias were calling Aisha a promiscuous woman before marrying Muhammed so someone reduced her age so much that there is no possibility of making those claims since she was a child and is not logically possible.

There is a lot of scholarship on this matter. What you have done is have blind faith on what you hear.

Cheers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yeah I figured there'd be debate on facts just like in Christianity. They probably even debate Mohammed's ownership of slaves and how he apparently treated them.
If muhammad did have slaves, he probably did not treat them any worse then other "unknown" slave owners. It was common at that time to hold slaves or low graded workers if you like that word better.

Vikings hold slaves, greeks har slaves, so it is not unik og Muhammad har servants too

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know because this is a famous story, not because you actually know. You have heard it frequently and you blindly believed it. Simple.
Do you always make such grandiose assumptions and put your own "what you want it to be" into the words of others?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
After reading that my perspective of Mohammed has changed
Honestly i doubt that. But i wish people did read and studied the spiritual scripture to understand and learn about the founder of religions or spiritual practice , instead of listening to todays false claims that pop up all over the world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course. No religious founder or true spiritual teacher should be removed, spit on, harrased or made to look like a demon.
Thise who had child brides, had slaves, demanded death for apostacy, contempt for women, amd preaches intolerance and hate, those sorts deserve no respect (and that doesn't just apply to Islam), and their followers have been some of the most monstrous and demonic humans in history.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Do you always make such grandiose assumptions and put your own "what you want it to be" into the words of others?

Okay. In that case name your source and your analysis. All you say is "You just know" as if you are 1500 years old.

Anyway since you ignored the whole post and focused on a single statement it shows your intent so I see no point in discourse.

Have a great day.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thise who had child brides, had slaves, demanded death for apostacy, contempt for women, amd preaches intolerance and hate, those sorts deserve no respect (and that doesn't just apply to Islam).
If you do not want to respect religious founders that is up to you. Itake The teachings as the important in their life. A lot of negative stories has been er added after their death, so personally i do not listen to all of the man made storries about spiritual founders.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Okay. In that case name your source and your analysis. All you say is "You just know" as if you are 1500 years old.

Anyway since you ignored the whole post and focused on a single statement it shows your intent so I see no point in discourse.

Have a great day.
No, you never actually read what I said. All I did was provide a name. You, however, took it upon yourself to assume I dont know, to assume I checked wiki, to just assume Ive only heard the story and havent looked into it.
I shant be giving you any sources. Many of them are scattered about on RF. Some are books I have. A few are websites.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you do not want to respect religious founders that is up to you. Itake The teachings as the important in their life. A lot of negative stories has been er added after their death, so personally i do not listen to all of the man made storries about spiritual founders.
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. Wonderful teaching.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, you never actually read what I said. All I did was provide a name. You, however, took it upon yourself to assume I dont know, to assume I checked wiki, to just assume Ive only heard the story and havent looked into it.
I shant be giving you any sources. Many of them are scattered about on RF. Some are books I have. A few are websites.

Too vague.