• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muhammad in the Bible

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
“I [God] will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.” Deuteronomy 18:18

The Prophet Muhammad is mentioned in the Bible. Words in mouth specifically speaks to the fact Quran is oral recitation.

His bloodline was promised a kingdom by God in the Bible and confirmed in Quran.

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation."
Genesis 17:20

muhammed-kedar.jpg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes...the only difference is that we Christians believe that Abraham was Jewish and that Jesus our Lord was Jewish too.
That doesn't mean Jesus was a Christian as we are, since Christianity goes beyond that.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
“I [God] will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.” Deuteronomy 18:18

The Prophet Muhammad is mentioned in the Bible. Words in mouth specifically speaks to the fact Quran is oral recitation.

His bloodline was promised a kingdom by God in the Bible and confirmed in Quran.

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation."

View attachment 25215

Why not? If Jesus meets the criteria for a prophet, so too does Muhammad. What are some of the Biblical verses you think refer to Muhammad?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes...the only difference is that we Christians believe that Abraham was Jewish and that Jesus our Lord was Jewish too.
That doesn't mean Jesus was a Christian as we are, since Christianity goes beyond that.

Does one who is anointed need to be Jewish? Cyrus wasn't. He was Persian.

Isaiah 44:28
Isaiah 45:1

How about being a prophet? Is that exclusively a Jewish thing or can God reveal Himself through peoples of other races?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

It is difficult to accept that argument. This is written to Jews, and so such a prophet will be giving commands to Jews. It does not say the prophets will giving commands to everyone. Muhammad gives commands to everyone not just to Jews, so how can it be about him? If this were about a prophet to the world it should say so, but instead it is about a prophet to the Jews.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
This particular verse is talking about Muhammad.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Why not? If Jesus meets the criteria for a prophet, so too does Muhammad. What are some of the Biblical verses you think refer to Muhammad?
Jesus isn't anymore to think than Muhammad in Bible texts because in Islam its all connected.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
It is difficult to accept that argument. This is written to Jews, and so such a prophet will be giving commands to Jews. It does not say the prophets will giving commands to everyone. Muhammad gives commands to everyone not just to Jews, so how can it be about him? If this were about a prophet to the world it should say so, but instead it is about a prophet to the Jews.
I don't really understand what you even are asking?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Prophet Muhammad is mentioned in the Bible.
Muhammad is also referred to in the Book of Revelation. :)

“The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.” 22 The first woe is the appearance of the Prophet, Muḥammad, the son of ‘Abdu’lláh—peace be upon Him! The second woe is that of the Báb—to Him be glory and praise! The third woe is the great day of the manifestation of the Lord of Hosts and the radiance of the Beauty of the Promised One. The explanation of this subject, woe, is mentioned in the thirtieth chapter of Ezekiel, where it is said: “The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Howl ye, Woe worth the day! For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near.” 23

Therefore, it is certain that the day of woe is the day of the Lord; for in that day woe is for the neglectful, woe is for the sinners, woe is for the ignorant. That is why it is said, “The second woe is past; behold the third woe cometh quickly!” This third woe is the day of the manifestation of Bahá’u’lláh, the day of God; and it is near to the day of the appearance of the Báb.

“And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever.”
Some Answered Questions, pp. 45-61

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Muhammad is also referred to in the Book of Revelation. :)

“The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.” 22 The first woe is the appearance of the Prophet, Muḥammad, the son of ‘Abdu’lláh—peace be upon Him! The second woe is that of the Báb—to Him be glory and praise! The third woe is the great day of the manifestation of the Lord of Hosts and the radiance of the Beauty of the Promised One. The explanation of this subject, woe, is mentioned in the thirtieth chapter of Ezekiel, where it is said: “The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Howl ye, Woe worth the day! For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near.” 23

Therefore, it is certain that the day of woe is the day of the Lord; for in that day woe is for the neglectful, woe is for the sinners, woe is for the ignorant. That is why it is said, “The second woe is past; behold the third woe cometh quickly!” This third woe is the day of the manifestation of Bahá’u’lláh, the day of God; and it is near to the day of the appearance of the Báb.

“And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever.”
Some Answered Questions, pp. 45-61
So, you think there is a Prophet after Muhammad (saws)?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
For what its worth I think there are verses in the Tanakh that could be equally applicable to both Christ and Muhammad. Deuteronomy 18:18 is one such verse and other than Christ being Jewish, Muhammad could also meet the criteria. Both were prophets of God. One brought forth the Gospel the other the Quran. Genesis 17:19-20 could be seen as more specific of Muhammad being descended from Ishmael. The 12 Princes could be the 12 Imams. Most prophecy tends to be somewhat vague though and interpretation is usually highly speculative.

Last edited:

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
For what its worth I think there are verses in the Tanakh that could be equally applicable to both Christ and Muhammad. Deuteronomy 18:18 is one such verse and other than Christ being Jewish and Muhammad could also meet the criteria. Both were prophets of God. One brought forth the Gospel the other the Quran. Genesis 17:19-20 could be seen as more specific of Muhammad being descended from Ishmael. The 12 Princes could be the 12 Imams.
The Prophet Muhammad (saws) received the Message and relayed it orally. To me it seems clear because Allah says he will put words in his mouth..

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Prophet Muhammad (saws) received the Message and relayed it orally. To me it seems clear because Allah says he will put words in his mouth..

Same deal with Jesus though. Christ's Teachings were passed down by the word of mouth and the first gospels were written more than 30 years after He was crucified. I agree Muhammad was illiterate but Deuteronomy 18:18 appears more to do with one who brings a message from God as Moses brought the Torah. Beyond that, it could be one who teaches by word of mouth like Christ and Muhammad. Why would it be a reference to Muhammad not being able to read or write?

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Same deal with Jesus though. Christ's Teachings were passed down by the word of mouth and the first gospels were written more than 30 years after He was crucified. I agree Muhammad was illiterate but Deuteronomy 18:18 appears more to do with one who brings a message from God as Moses brought the Torah. Beyond that, it could be one who teaches by word of mouth like Christ and Muhammad. Why would it be a reference to Muhammad not being able to read or write?
Why not? Its what he is known for.

whirlingmerc

View attachment 25215

A wonderful promise indeed however
the apostles applied the Duet 18:18 promise to Jesus in Acts 3:22, and Acts 7:37.

In context brethren would be Israelites since Moses spoke it to the Israelites
please notice the use of brethren in Deut 18:1-2 concerning the brethren of the Levites which are
the other tribes of Israel getting inheritance

Additional reasons why Jesus is more like Moses here:
He was the mediator of a covenant.
He knew the Lord face to face.
He had “mighty power.”

Last edited:

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Yes, I believe that the Bab and Baha'u'llah were Prophets (Messengers of God) that came after Muhammad; they were the second and third woes.
Oh ok. So why do you believe others came after when the Quran teaches Muhammad (saws) is the final Prophet?