• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mueller indicts 13 Russian nationals over 2016 election interference

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
link > Mueller indicts 13 Russian nationals over 2016 election interference - CNNPolitics < link
The defendants allegedly posed as US persons, created false US personas and operated social media pages and groups ...

Now not even Donald Trump can deny that the Russians meddled in the election in a serious way. This is a major development in the investigation, but the investigation is far from over. This specific indictment does not involve Trump or his campaign, but Mueller is not done yet.

And remember we know Donald Trump jr. was told that the Russians were helping his father, and he loved it.

This is getting interesting.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Doesn't every country try so steer the politics of other countries to their advantage, if they can?
The US is certainly no slacker in this department.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
link > Mueller indicts 13 Russian nationals over 2016 election interference - CNNPolitics < link

Now not even Donald Trump can deny that the Russians meddled in the election in a serious way. This is a major development in the investigation, but the investigation is far from over. This specific indictment does not involve Trump or his campaign, but Mueller is not done yet.

And remember we know Donald Trump jr. was told that the Russians were helping his father, and he loved it.

LoLz

From your article:

"The defendants allegedly conducted what they called information warfare against the United States, with the stated goal of spreading distrust towards the candidates and the political system in general," Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said.

Mueller just announced Trumps innocence of collusion basically.

"In a statement, the White House said Trump was fully briefed on the indictment and "is glad to see the Special Counsel's investigation further indicates— that there was NO COLLUSION between the Trump campaign and Russia and that the outcome of the election was not changed or affected."

And I agree, all this does is clear Trump of any collusion.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Doesn't every country try so steer the politics of other countries to their advantage, if they can?
No. Every country does not have organized agents posing as citizens, organizing rallies in other countries.

This is not normal. Don’t try to minimize this.

I remember a during the second Bush election a Canadian MP was overheard making a comment on the U.S. election. She was remove from office.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Yeah we know. Trump is guilty.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It's true the US has meddled to one degree or another in the politics of a number of other nations, but that is not a sound reason the US should roll over and allow Putin to pick its presidents. It's more of a reason we should quit meddling in other countries*

*And yet, millions of lives might have been saved if some country had successfully meddled in 1930s German politics in order to prevent Hitler from coming to power. So the question of whether on not one country should meddle in the politics of another strikes me as more complex than simply a yes or no.

Enoch07

Premium Member
No, he didn’t. There is not a single word in this indictment that clears Trump or even implies his innocence. Regardless of what the Whitehouse says.

I'll relist the evidence.

"The defendants allegedly conducted what they called information warfare against the United States, with the stated goal of spreading distrust towards the candidates and the political system in general," DeputyAttorney General Rod Rosenstein said.

Pay attention to the underlined statement. The Russians were attacking the political system as a whole. He didn't say that they was only attacking Democrat candidates. The system as a whole. That being said he just cleared Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In what way?
I'm not seeing it.

Trump helping to make candidates all look as slimy as he is got him into office. If he helped our biggest global rival do that it's called collusion.

Doesn't it matter to you why Putin and the Russians wanted Trump in the White House? Do you think that was for the benefit of people like you?
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The Russians were attacking the political system as a whole. He didn't say that they was only attacking Democrat candidates.
They were attacking the USA, and you're okay with that?
That level of partisanship is why I stopped supporting any Republicans for office. As long as trashing my country is done for the benefit of The Party, Republicans are good with it.
Tom

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'll relist the evidence.

"The defendants allegedly conducted what they called information warfare against the United States, with the stated goal of spreading distrust towards the candidates and the political system in general," DeputyAttorney General Rod Rosenstein said.

Pay attention to the underlined statement. The Russians were attacking the political system as a whole. He didn't say that they was only attacking Democrat candidates. The system as a whole. That being said he just cleared Trump.
You are quoting Rosenstein, not the indictment.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
LoLz

From your article:

"The defendants allegedly conducted what they called information warfare against the United States, with the stated goal of spreading distrust towards the candidates and the political system in general," Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said.

"In a statement, the White House said Trump was fully briefed on the indictment and "is glad to see the Special Counsel's investigation further indicates— that there was NO COLLUSION between the Trump campaign and Russia and that the outcome of the election was not changed or affected."

And I agree, all this does is clear Trump of any collusion.
I tend to agree, overall, but we really have to wait for the "Super Sized" lady to sing. These indictments do shed light on why Republicans have scoffed at the idea of collusion, especially if they had been duped into helping people working for Russia. The idea being, can you really be colluding with an agent of a foreign power if you don't know they are working as such?

@Valjean I hear ya. It does not excuse meddling in the election by the Russians, but it's not like the American government, over many Administrations, has not overtly tried to sway elections in foreign counties. It was practically part of several administrations foreign policy outreach. The point is, no, it is wrong for Russia to meddle in American internal affairs, but it is also wrong for American, over decades, to do precisely the same thing around the globe.

You gotta admire the audacity of the Russians, I'll give them that much. The indictments also put social media giants in an awkward position. By allowing their platforms to be used to such ends does not reflect well on them either, as they too, were duped.

All said and done, it was still pretty rich to hear Trump saying we had to get past Conspiracy Theories. LOL. My irony meter went off scale on that one.
Mtiv.gif

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Supposing there was Russian interference. What exactly does Russia have to gain from all of it? Does anybody know?

Enoch07

Premium Member
In what way?
I'm not seeing it.
Check out post #9. Pay attention to the underlined statement.

They were attacking the USA, and you're okay with that?

Nope, but it is apart of politics worldwide. Every country does it to every other country. I'm not ok with it, but it is part for the course.

You are quoting Rosenstein, not the indictment.

Rosenstein is the one announcing the indictments. So yes it's fitting to quote him on the indictment he is announcing.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Supposing there was Russian interference. What exactly does Russia have to gain from all of it? Does anybody know?
I think it is well know and documented that Putin dislikes Hillary Clinton. Also Russia has been trying to undermine democracy in the U.S. for decades.

And frankly, although this has not been proven yet, I believe Trump promised to remove Russian sanctions if he got elected.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Yes, 13 people overstay some visas and order sandwiches. They commit wire fraud by using the internet with fake account names, and whatever. Consider this the dummy of the year award for Mueller, the official, "I've got jack on Trump." This is simply these losers trying to save their jobs after spending a year and a half jerking around.

I'm loving this... really am...

Enoch07

Premium Member
I tend to agree, overall, but we really have to wait for the "Super Sized" lady to sing.

I agree, she hasn't sung yet. But she certainly is warming up her vocal chords in preparation of singing an epic tale of futility!

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

I have one guess I think is a good one, based on the fact that an email leaker also tried to help Marine LePen win the French election. Russia sees the EU and the US as being obstacles to it's expansionist ambitions, but the US especially. Given our track record to meddle in European affairs when serious enough. Putin didn't want there to be a possibility of that happening. Marine LePen was more than likely being helped by the same powers that stacked the deck for Trump. Or is an email scandal being used in both cases just a coincidence? LePen was for Frexit, which would weaken the EU further.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree, she hasn't sung yet. But she certainly is warming up her vocal chords in preparation of singing an epic tale of futility!
I don't know that it was an epic tale of futility. Saint Hillary may get enough material out of it for another book, "Third time's the charm"