• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mudbricks and Murmurs

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
*If you don't get the reference, clearly you need to brush up on your Harry Potter lore. As it is written: "Clearly, fame isn't everything" (Kai Petraeus Philisophus)

Today I took part in an archeological survey in the Sharon region of Israel, in a place called Tel al-Mukhmar. The idea of the survey was to see what findings could be found from a basic scan of the ground of the area, without actual digging. This isn't enough to know who settled the site and when, because sometimes items from different eras could have been dropped or left in places that weren't actually settled by the people who owned the objects, but it does give a rough estimate of what there is good potential to find.

The area we worked in was filled with wild flowers and thorny plants, and we had to cut our way through with our arms and legs to see what we could find on the ground. It was tough work, but we found some interesting things.

Some pictures:

Some of the plants we had to get through:

20220401_092409.jpg

More plants. Wish I had a machete...would've looked cool, too...

20220401_092403.jpg

A ceramic handle in a porcupine burrow:

20220401_104014.jpg

An Iron Age I ceramic rim:

20220401_121617.jpg

A ceramic base in the above-mentioned burrow:

20220401_104007.jpg

An ancient mudbrick:

IMG-20220401-WA0017.jpg

amorphous_constellation

that's kind of how parts of the marshland down the block is going to look in a short time, here in wisconsin. The flowers look somewhat like daffodils, which last a few weeks here in april

Do you have to worry about woodticks, horseflies, and mosquitoes in stuff like that?

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If you don't get the reference, clearly you need to brush up on your Harry Potter lore. As it is written: "Clearly, fame isn't everything" (Kai Petraeus Philisophus)
Apparently i do. Ive read that series multiple times but it's been years since the last time. I missed the reference