• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Much Taboo About Nothing?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It seems to me that life is a lot simpler without a religious belief, in that one can have a relatively consistent view of life and towards other humans in general, and where one doesn't tend to have some 'taboo' concerning others - as towards any labelled LGBTQ+, for example - such that division and/or conflicts are less likely. Not always the case of course, but probably less likely. Perhaps this is why so many turn away from religion?

What do you think?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It seems to me that life is a lot simpler without a religious belief, in that one can have a relatively consistent view of life and towards other humans in general, and where one doesn't tend to have some 'taboo' concerning others - as towards any labelled LGBTQ+, for example - such that division and/or conflicts are less likely. Not always the case of course, but probably less likely. Perhaps this is why so many turn away from religion?

What do you think?
The question is: do people think X is taboo because they embraced religion Y? Or did they embrace religion Y because they think X is taboo?

Ciao

- viole

Secret Chief

Stiff Member

What do you think?
One could argue that with a religious belief life is in fact simpler and more consistent. I would say the more important issue is what that outlook involves (eg homophobia). But is not this more of a specifically Abrahamic thing?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think you are correct to some extent, there are several reasons people are turning away from religion, outdated taboos are definitely one of them

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?
Depends on the religion and ones ethical values (which admittedly comes from ones religious stance or lack thereof.)

But interpretation and personal philosophy are also a part of the equation.

For example, my familial religion (something taken seriously in my culture) is that of a “Sai Baba Person.” Or Universalist Hindu. So they’re pretty live and let live. Considering it a grave sin to interfere with others’ lives. Though they have a moral code.
Me?
I’m a loosely affiliated Kali devotee. I pay respects to my familial traditions. But I forge my own path, my own ethical values and moral decisions, based on my personal faith.

LGBTQ+? They traditionally fall under the umbrella of the “third sex” and are under the protection of Kali. To denigrate or mistreat the community is a sin.
Sex before marriage? Something I personally abstain from. But I have no qualms if someone else makes a different choice. It’s none of my business.
Euthanasia? I grew up in various oncology wards. To delay death is to cause suffering and to cause needless suffering is sinful. Better to show mercy, imo.
Abortion? I don’t know if I would get one, maybe if my life were at risk and the doctors recommended it. I’m vehemently pro choice. I suppose the “samsara” (endless cycle of rebirth and death) doesn’t give that same sense of immediacy that the Abrahamics have for the soul. :shrug:
Science denial? In my personal opinion, to do so is to spit in the face of god. They gave us a brain, a method and answers to questions. Maybe we will never get them all. But that’s okay. To me, science, medicine ect are gifts that we can use to our benefit.
Other people believing differently? To proselytise is considered sinful, for you are interfering in another person’s spiritual journey. Everyone has the right to decide what is best for them. So to hell with it all. Just share some drinks and food and have fun with the time we have left, eh?

I drink heavily, I have fun, I do not worry what my neighbour is doing and I try my best to be ethical. That’s all my religion calls me to do.
Dunno if that qualifies as being restricted?

Viker

Häxan
Traditional taboos are failing past orthodoxies. Yet, there are religious groups who do not share these taboos with many religions.

Religiously/spiritually/even personally from me there is only human sexuality. What people now call gay, straight or what not are strong preferences and goal posts (only). Traditional attire is not important. How one wants to show themselves to the world matters for them. So imposing rigid sexual, gender and clothing codes on others is detrimental to others.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

What do you think?

Well, yes. For one definition of religion it apples. For at least one other definition all enough cognitively active humans are in some sense religious.
I mean you can have in effect an ideological "taboo" against some humans, even without being religious in your sense.

Brian2

Veteran Member

What do you think?

It is interesting that in Christianity we are to love all people. That is simple sounding. This does not mean that we should agree with everything they do however. It does create tensions at times of course.

Audie

Veteran Member
It is interesting that in Christianity we are to love all people. That is simple sounding. This does not mean that we should agree with everything they do however. It does create tensions at times of course.

To me, the word " love " in English and in the bible are pretty weird.
It dore not remotely translate into Chinese.

I can make no sense of it

"GOD is love"?

"LOVE" everyone? (Incl someone who tried to kill me)

"Fall in love"

" love chocolate "

Do you guys have any idea what you are talking about?

PureX

Veteran Member

What do you think?
I think what you think "religious belief" is, or means, is very narrow, unrealistic, and biased.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One could argue that with a religious belief life is in fact simpler and more consistent. I would say the more important issue is what that outlook involves (eg homophobia). But is not this more of a specifically Abrahamic thing?
I suppose I could have been more specific - as to the Abrahamic beliefs being more likely to cause issues than some others. And these being the two main ones.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think what you think "religious belief" is, or means, is very narrow, unrealistic, and biased.
I tend to accept those defined as such. What others tend to see as religious beliefs might rather be ideologies or just world views.

Audie

Veteran Member
I tend to accept those defined as such. What others tend to see as religious beliefs might rather be ideologies or just world views.
Atheism is a religion with you as god.
Narrow / biased only would fail to see it

Ive heard about that

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Atheism is a religion with you as god.
Narrow / biased only would fail to see it

Ive heard about that
Then they perhaps have several religions (like most others) if that is the case, given that we all tend to have beliefs that might overlap with religious ones - and don't necessarily come from such. I don't think being an atheist implies anything else other than not believing the propositions put forward by others as to God, gods, or anything such. What some see as religious beliefs is their issue. :oops:

Audie

Veteran Member
Then they perhaps have several religions (like most others) if that is the case, given that we all tend to have beliefs that might overlap with religious ones - and don't necessarily come from such. I don't think being an atheist implies anything else other than not believing the propositions put forward by others as to God, gods, or anything such. What some see as religious beliefs is their issue. :oops:
Some do woo woo some dont

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What do you think?

I suspect this discrimination is at least partially due to genetics. We have some biological programming wrt procreation.
Religion is more or less a reflection of man's moral values.

One can always practice their religion without brothering anyone else. They just need to accept that their moral values need not be universal.
They can be free to go through life with their beliefs intact as long as they understand there is no need for anyone else to accept them.

PureX

Veteran Member
Religions are just the methodologies by which people try to live according to their theological beliefs. The various religious "taboos" and admonishments are intended to help the adherent stick to the life-path that their theology illuminates for them. But it's a dynamic interaction. Theologies rise up, and fall away, and morph over time. So do their respective taboos and admonishments. It would be foolish to presume otherwise, which is a mistake that too many religious institutions keep repeating: ... that resistance to and loathing for change.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think you are correct to some extent, there are several reasons people are turning away from religion, outdated taboos are definitely one of them
People aren't turning away from religion. They're just turning away for archaic top-down religious institutions that are unwilling and unable to change as people's theological beliefs change.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
People aren't turning away from religion. They're just turning away for archaic top-down religious institutions that are unwilling and unable to change as people's theological beliefs change.

If you say so. My experience is far different.