• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mubahala

idea

Question Everything
Looking at events, Aug 3rd is the event of Mubahala.

"It is part of Sunnah when arguing with people of falsehood—when they insist on falsehood regardless of arguments and proofs—to call them to Mubahala."

There are different accounts of it:
Event of Mubahala - Wikipedia
"According to Islamic sources, the event of Mubahala was a meeting between the Islamic prophet Muhammad and a Christian delegation from Najran (present-day Saudi Arabia), where Muhammad called for invoking a curse to reveal who was lying about their religious differences."

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on Mubahala, as well as how to interact with those "insist on falsehood regardless of arguments and proofs."

exchemist

Veteran Member

"It is part of Sunnah when arguing with people of falsehood—when they insist on falsehood regardless of arguments and proofs—to call them to Mubahala."

"According to Islamic sources, the event of Mubahala was a meeting between the Islamic prophet Muhammad and a Christian delegation from Najran (present-day Saudi Arabia), where Muhammad called for invoking a curse to reveal who was lying about their religious differences."

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on Mubahala, as well as how to interact with those "insist on falsehood regardless of arguments and proofs."
The Wiki article is characteristically confusingly written. It is hard to know who did what, who was supposedly cursed by whom, or not, etc.

The best I can do is that I think it is saying the Prophet called on Allah to curse the Christians if they were not telling the truth and that they were not cursed. Is that right?

danieldemol

Premium Member

The problem with it is getting people to admit when they are cursed.

Eg many Muslim nations today seem cursed compared to prosperous secular nations.

Do you think if the secularists where to invoke Mubahala against the Muslims they would admit defeat?

In my opinion.

idea

Question Everything
The Wiki article is characteristically confusingly written. It is hard to know who did what, who was supposedly cursed by whom, or not, etc.

The best I can do is that I think it is saying the Prophet called on Allah to curse the Christians if they were not telling the truth and that they were not cursed. Is that right?

Yes, it is confusing which is why I posted it to see if anyone here had a better understanding of it. Just an interesting event I guess, curious to see how Jesus is viewed, and how interfaith discussions are handled.

I have students from many different backgrounds, and I like to put all the holidays / cultural dates on calendar so I am aware when people are fasting, or have something else they might need to miss class for.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything

Eg many Muslim nations today seem cursed compared to prosperous secular nations.

Do you think if the secularists where to invoke Mubahala against the Muslims they would admit defeat?

In my opinion.

In my opinion.

Haha, we are all cursed from Adam and Eve, dust to dust, we all die.

Shakeel

Yes, it is confusing which is why I posted it to see if anyone here had a better understanding of it. Just an interesting event I guess, curious to see how Jesus is viewed, and how interfaith discussions are handled.

I have students from many different backgrounds, and I like to put all the holidays / cultural dates on calendar so I am aware when people are fasting, or have something else they might need to miss class for.
Why would you miss class for fasting?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Christians were kind-hearted. Even if it would not have worked, they did not want the whole of Muhammad's family to be cursed. I wonder why they did not ask Mohammad to invoke a curse on them. That too would not have worked. Curses are silliness, you can't kill a person by uttering a curse, otherwise the Iranians would have done that against Netanyahu or Trump.

idea

Question Everything
Why would you miss class for fasting?

If there is a holiday that is fine to miss class. I also taught an evening section over Ramadan, and paused class to let everyone go grab some food at sundown :D

idea

Question Everything
The Christians were kind-hearted. Even if it would not have worked, they did not want the whole of Muhammad's family to be cursed. I wonder why they did not ask Mohammad to invoke a curse on them. That too would not have worked. Curses are silliness, you can't kill a person by uttering a curse, otherwise the Iranians would have done that against Netanyahu or Trump.

I think everyone, deep down, knows curses do not work - so will back out of their claims at the last minute rather than be shown for the silliness. "Miracles" only happen in exaggerated faith-promoting stories and old dusty books.