• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MrMr's reluctant case for Isolationism of the USA/Western Hemisphere

Do you agree that isolationism would be the best way to go? Yes or no and please explain.

• Is social /communism workable or will such governments reflect the examples we see now and of histor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personally I think everyone in such a system would have all the material goods and money they need o

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • please expand on the above options or any that are not listed...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
DISCLAIMER; SORRY TO THE MEMBERSHIP I MESSED UP THE QUESTION PART, DUH' ITS TOO EARLY! PLEASE COMMENT ON THE ISSUE IF YOU WANT TO`

If I were president or leader of the USA I would begin an educational propaganda that would urge the support of all countries in the western hemisphere and all citizens for unification and total, meaning no or very little trade etc with the outside world, which would be true isolation of the entire western hemisphere. Why? Maybe not the reasons you think! The world is becoming an mirror of it was just before the world wars ie WW1 and WW2, and I fear an world war is just on the horizon. Despite my religious convictions total world war would probably make the human race extinct or nearly so. Also if we had control of the hemisphere it could be an paradise! I would eliminate the war on drugs. Pull in all our troops as soon as possible. I would engage massive sums in pure scientific R&D and would make us energy efficient. I would make the fortress western hemisphere very very powerful military for defense only. Instead of forcing countries to join, I would ask them in. When they would see the paradise (hopefully) eventually they would join, save for some very radical hold outs. They eventually in a hundred years or so be encapsulated if they chose not to join. I am sure it would work as long as those in power did not get greedy.

upload_2017-9-20_8-43-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-20_8-34-6.png
    upload_2017-9-20_8-34-6.png
    755 bytes · Views: 0

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not have a head for politics. I think Kung Fu Panda's master Oogway says that one often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. I envision that if we withdraw that we will harm ourselves more than the world could. There is a problem just in the USA with TV media constantly pumping adrenaline and fear, and it has a tendency to make everything look bleak. Things are looking up I think. I'm not saying the Economy is healthy or that the moon is cheesier. As a nation we have faced our fears and the bogeyman have not killed us. We've even survived some very stupid mistakes.

DavidFirth

I think most any form of government will work if it is conducted by good people who really care about "the little guy" who is scraping to get by.

What kills all forms of government are selfish and/or corrupt leadership.

PureX

Veteran Member
At this point in our history, the people of the United States have lost control of their own government, such that we have attacked other nations for reasons that we, ourselves, have no understanding of nor any control over. Given that this has become the case, there isn't much point in arguing whether we are interventionist or not, because our government is being controlled by a very small number of very wealthy people, and corporations, and it will not respond to the people's will, regardless. In fact, we are now in a perpetual state of war because these new corporate oligarchs that control our government gain massive profits from warfare. Money that we citizens pay to the government in taxes, and that cost the people the necessary social programs that those taxes would have otherwise funded.

As to the issue of military intervention, were it something that we the people of the United States could control, I think the most important aspect is not whether or not we intervene, but that we do so, when we do so, based on a clear and consistent ideological agenda. And not on the whim of whatever political party happens to be in power at the moment, and the desires of their corporate cronies. The greatest problem with U.S. military engagement is that it's absurdly inconsistent and motivated by internal politics rather than by any discernible political ideology.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
DISCLAIMER; SORRY TO THE MEMBERSHIP I MESSED UP THE QUESTION PART, DUH' ITS TOO EARLY! PLEASE COMMENT ON THE ISSUE IF YOU WANT TO`

If I were president or leader of the USA I would begin an educational propaganda that would urge the support of all countries in the western hemisphere and all citizens for unification and total, meaning no or very little trade etc with the outside world, which would be true isolation of the entire western hemisphere. Why? Maybe not the reasons you think! The world is becoming an mirror of it was just before the world wars ie WW1 and WW2, and I fear an world war is just on the horizon. Despite my religious convictions total world war would probably make the human race extinct or nearly so. Also if we had control of the hemisphere it could be an paradise! I would eliminate the war on drugs. Pull in all our troops as soon as possible. I would engage massive sums in pure scientific R&D and would make us energy efficient. I would make the fortress western hemisphere very very powerful military for defense only. Instead of forcing countries to join, I would ask them in. When they would see the paradise (hopefully) eventually they would join, save for some very radical hold outs. They eventually in a hundred years or so be encapsulated if they chose not to join. I am sure it would work as long as those in power did not get greedy.

View attachment 18857

This could have some potential, although I don't think it would have to be "isolationism." I don't think the USA was ever isolationist, but there were times when we were neutral and more detached from global affairs. Neutrality might be more favorable to us, just as it's worked well for Switzerland.

As for unifying the entire Western Hemisphere, that may be problematic. At some point, demographics in the US may see a larger number of Latin Americans in this country, which would shift US cultural and political ties away from Europe and more towards Latin America. I would predict better relations, which would be more cooperative and pledged to mutual self-defense, somewhat like the "Good Neighbor" policy favored by FDR during WW2. That might be the best we can hope for, but actual unification might be out of reach.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Japan showed all the downsides of isolationism. Stagnant growth, more limited resources, aggressive reputation. Preserved the culture fairly well, though. I think that's because it's an island nation.

Don't even try to unite the Western Hemisphere. With all the ideas stuck in some people's heads, it's not going to work out. Civil war would erupt.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
At this point in human history, isolationism can only fail and set a nation back while the rest of the world advances by leaps and bounds. Plus it makes it harder for us to come together as a unified people of Earth if we are determined to remain a nation on our own.

DavidFirth

The Chinese used to be isolationists until they realized that they need the rest of the world and the rest of the world needs them.

North Korea is isolationist because if the people had any idea how horrible their government is making their lives, they'd revolt in a heartbeat.