• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MP seeks to ban demonstrations outside abortion clinics

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Er, yes. And we can do that without a new law, it seems to me. The issue is the policing.
Hi.....
And 'No', the issue is not just with policing. It's about sentencing of offenders.

Example?
You've probably heard that there is an initiative to produce new legislation to address attacks upon retail staff... yes?
There already is legislation enough to police such attacks, but any new legislation hopes to make such attacks more serious when viewed by Courts, definitely indictable...... probably to be heard and convicts sentenced in Crown Courts.

That could be the intention of this MP, to make doorstep confrontations of abortion clinic employees, visitors and patients an indictable offence with Crown Court sentencing. == much more serious punishments.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it shows the cruelty of religion, I doubt the protesters believe that though. I rather think that the protesters would argue that if it stops one abortion it is worth it. They might also think that a better way would be to pass laws to stop it and I am sure that would be their intention.
Huh. I agree with you.

Fallen Prophet

A bill seeking to ban demonstrations outside abortion clinics has been proposed by Labour MP Rupa Huq.

Last year, pro-life protesters lost a legal challenge against the UK's first buffer zone implemented around a clinic in Dr Huq's constituency.

Ealing Council said a 100-metre exclusion zone at the Marie Stopes centre had been put in place after women complained of being intimidated.

The protesters said they were providing help to those visiting the clinic.

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service says following the easing of coronavirus lockdown measures, five clinics across the country have been targeted by protests.

MP seeks to ban demonstrations outside abortion clinics

This is a difficult one for free speech supporters, normally a counter protest would do the job but that is likely to draw more unwanted attention. Thoughts?
If it is a public space and no one is assaulting anyone - it's free game.

Although - today - someone saying "Hello" to a stranger or "Bless you" to someone when they sneeze could be constituted as rape - so there's no way to know what's okay.

Either way - we are screwed as a species. Pack it in. Game over man.