• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Motivation

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Its interesting to me how some find motivation so easily, and others struggle with it. And it comes in different ways, too. Personally, I can get motivated in the beginning, but burn out of steam. My husband gets motivated by big things, but neglects the little.

What's your style? Have you found methods that help with motivation? What helps you get motivated to write that book or get that degree? What motivates you to load your dishwasher or put your laundry away?

Does habit building play into it at all? What things have helped you build a positive habit, or ditch a negative one?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Just do it, the end result is often (but not always) worth the effort.

I've always been the motivated one. Tons of get up and go. That of course can be very annoying to those who's get up and go got up and went.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Its interesting to me how some find motivation so easily, and others struggle with it. And it comes in different ways, too. Personally, I can get motivated in the beginning, but burn out of steam. My husband gets motivated by big things, but neglects the little.

What's your style? Have you found methods that help with motivation? What helps you get motivated to write that book or get that degree? What motivates you to load your dishwasher or put your laundry away?

Does habit building play into it at all? What things have helped you build a positive habit, or ditch a negative one?
The biggest change for me in motivation come when i moved alone in a new apartment, i was finally free to do what i had planed for so long but could not do because i did not live alone. So now it motivates me to do things because i want to do them, not because i have to do what others tell me to do :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I learned action comes before motivation. For example, years ago, I'd never thought I could run a mile if not even a block. If I were to try to motivate myself to get out, the far as I would go is to put my clothes out then go to sleep instead. One day I just "did it" without thinking. Kind of like going cold turkey. Once I did it three times in a row, the action and benefit from it kept me motivated. Now, in the morning I'm not always motivated to run, but once I put my clothes on, that's it. No stopping.

Motivation: The Scientific Guide on How to Get and Stay Motivated One of the most surprising things about motivation is that it often comes after starting a new behavior, not before. We have this common misconception that motivation arrives as a result of passively consuming a motivational video or reading an inspirational book. However, active inspiration can be a far more powerful motivator.

I listened to his audiobook on Atomic Habits. Very good book.

Also, if you're not really into it, then put motivation aside and develop discipline. I have near 0 discipline but if I have a deadline or someone puts a carrot in front of me for things like school work and such, it gets done somehow.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Just do it, the end result is often (but not always) worth the effort.

I've always been the motivated one. Tons of get up and go. That of course can be very annoying to those who's get up and go got up and went.

My husband is one of these(the get up and go type). Sometimes he forgets to think before he goes, though, and then he does double the work.

Also, if you're not really into it, then put motivation aside and develop discipline. I have near 0 discipline but if I have a deadline or someone puts a carrot in front of me for things like school work and such, it gets done somehow.

When it came to schoolwork, as a kid I appeared motivated. I completed my work well, and quickly.

I wasn't motivated. I just wanted to get the work out of my way so I could draw pictures and read books.

Or, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I was terribly motivated(to draw pictures). I just wasn't motivated in the socially acceptable way. That's kind of been a theme in life, honestly.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My husband is one of these(the get up and go type). Sometimes he forgets to think before he goes, though, and then he does double the work.

Lucky you, mine has to be driven, with the gentle touch of course.
nag.jpg