• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Teresa: "The Greatest Destroyer of Love and Peace..."?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
“By abortion, the mother does not learn to love, but kills even her own child to solve her problems. … Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.” -- Mother Teresa.

Personally, the shallowness of the notion that abortion is the greatest destroyer of love and peace grates on me like nails screeching across a chalkboard grate on some folks. I wince at it.

But I have two questions:

1) Do you think there's any merit to the notion that abortion is a destroyer of love and peace -- let alone the greatest?

2) Is there any truth to Teresa's statement that abortion teaches people to use "any violence to get what they want"?

This thread is about those two questions and only those two questions. Please stay on topic.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
“By abortion, the mother does not learn to love, but kills even her own child to solve her problems. … Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.” -- Mother Teresa.

Personally, the shallowness of the notion that abortion is the greatest destroyer of love and peace grates on me like nails screeching across a chalkboard grate on some folks. I wince at it.

1) Do you think there's any merit to the notion that abortion is a destroyer of love and peace -- let alone the greatest?

2) Is there any truth to Teresa's statement that abortion teaches people to use "any violence to get what they want"?

I agree with her like all other intentional and premeditates forms of killing. We are destroying our country by even making excuses to kill.

That. Bothers me like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe there would be no abortion if women were supported in taking care of their child noatter their health state. If here no bias on who is normal, maybe wed have community cooroporation in childcare. If fix-its werent all about medication and kill the germs, wed find additional methods of healing and adapting.

I could go on. I cant see any excuse to kill. Not in my vocab.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We are destroying our country by even making excuses to kill.

In what sense are we destroying our country? Do you think, for instance, that abortion will lead to the economic, social, or otherwise collapse of America?

GoodbyeDave

It depends on why an abortion is carried out. If the mother's health is at risk or the child will be severely disabled, I have no objection. What is morally wrong is "convenience abortion": that is putting yourself before the life of another. We are all responsible for the consequences of our actions, even if we did not foresee them. If you get pregnant, then you have a duty of acceptance towards the child.

When you talk about the USA, then I do see a lack of moral responsibility.
> Putting the right to bear arms ahead of the responsibility of ensuring public life and safety
> Putting US political interests ahead of the freedom and security of other nations
> Allowing desire for personal gratification to lead to a life-style that endangers the environment
> Putting party-political considerations ahead of encouraging free and fair elections.
There's too much sacrifice of morality to expediency and so-called rights, and abortion on demand is one more example.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It depends on why an abortion is carried out. If the mother's health is at risk or the child will be severely disabled, I have no objection. What is morally wrong is "convenience abortion": that is putting yourself before the life of another. We are all responsible for the consequences of our actions, even if we did not foresee them. If you get pregnant, then you have a duty of acceptance towards the child.

When you talk about the USA, then I do see a lack of moral responsibility.
> Putting the right to bear arms ahead of the responsibility of ensuring public life and safety
> Putting US political interests ahead of the freedom and security of other nations
> Allowing desire for personal gratification to lead to a life-style that endangers the environment
> Putting party-political considerations ahead of encouraging free and fair elections.
There's too much sacrifice of morality to expediency and so-called rights, and abortion on demand is one more example.

What on earth does any of that have to do with the two questions posed in the OP? Please stay on topic! I will report posters who are persistently off topic in this thread.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How exactly will abortion lead to the economic collapse of the US? The social collapse?

You dont kill, you have children. They help if taught to bring life into the world.

To prevent a child from being born, more and more, we die out. No people, no society. I rather leave what I know to future generations than have our future distroyed because of things like abortion.

Its a moral thing not politics.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Is enough children in a world that does not want them,fact
I have no other comment .

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You dont kill, you have children. They help if taught to bring life into the world.

To prevent a child from being born, more and more, we die out. No people, no society. I rather leave what I know to future generations than have our future distroyed because of things like abortion.

Its a moral thing not politics.
What do you think of miscarriages?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Nope.
I think it is nothing more than an appeal to emotion.

Nope.
I find it to be a nice excuse to throw out in front of uneducated masses though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Covellite

Abortion is extremely very painful experience. Future mothers who decide to stop pregnancy by abortion are in great pain. There's life is in total mess and they don't have much time to think of what to do. They know very well that they will have to kill there's own unborn child. I feel sorry for them and I can understand them, too. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't want to talk about that.
Mother Theresa is right, but I don't like the way she expressed what she could feel. It's a form of destruction and violence. Very rigid statement.
Birth control is the only solution.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Abortion is extremely very painful experience. Future mothers who decide to stop pregnancy by abortion are in great pain. There's life is in total mess and they don't have much time to think of what to do. They know very well that they will have to kill there's own unborn child. I feel sorry for them and I can understand them, too. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't want to talk about that.
Mother Theresa is right, but I don't like the way she expressed what she could feel. Very rigid statement.
Birth control is the only solution.

Isn't birth control simple another form of preventing a child from entering this world? Is there any other purpose for any birth control?

Covellite

Isn't birth control simple another form of preventing a child from entering this world? Is there any other purpose for any birth control?
Birth control is a form of preventing very painful situation.
We are not talking about preventing child from entering this world.
Birth control in a normal thing. There are many purposes for a birth control, some of them could be health issues...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't a ban on abortion condemn thousands of women -- and their children -- to marginal, impoverished lives, supported by public assistance or in prison, with little chance to improve themselves and become productive, tax paying contributors to society? This is not the demographic society is likely to love.
Mother Theresa is conflating foetus with child. Is this reasonable? Potential aside, what characteristics does a foetus have that entitle it to the moral considerations of personhood?

Rant:
Pro-lifers tend to lean right, politically. They support the death penalty, the military. They're quick to take lives that annoy or scare them. Why the special consideration for American foetuses?

What characteristics does an American foetus have that entitle it to more moral consideration than foreign foetuses, or the women and children Ted Cruz wants to carpet bomb or the ISIS family members Trump wants to kill* -- or the family dog, for that matter?
Are pro-lifers just hypocrites and political dupes?

*http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...a-sean-macfarland-republican-carpet-bomb-isis
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428719/kill-terrorists-families-gangsta-trump

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I personally am opposed to abortion unless the pregnancy is too risky, but I'll be darned of I'm going to tell a woman what she must do with her body and what's in it. Also, if abortions are outlawed, only poor women will not get them because the others can go to other states or countries.

Finally, do we really want to return to back-alley abortions or young girls using coat-hangers? I remember those "good old days", and they really weren't that good, at least in this regard.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Please add commentary. I dont care for indirect questions that seem to have an agenda.

Miscarriages arent abortions. What are you getting at?
Who claimed they were the same thing?
I most certainly did not.
I am wondering how consistent you are when placing blame.
That is what you are doing, right?
Placing blame?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Who claimed they were the same thing?
I most certainly did not.
I am wondering how consistent you are when placing blame.
That is what you are doing, right?
Placing blame?

No. On Who?

Just saying abortions destroy human economy because its killing off humans just as any other premeditated method of killing. I agree with Teresa.

Thats my point. What are you getting at? and why the miscarriage question?