• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother of NYC heiress paid 'deprogrammer' big bucks after daughter 'brainwashed' by college's woke a

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Mount Holyoke is one of the "Seven Sisters," associated with the elitist Ivy League schools. Another one is Wellesley College, where Hillary Clinton went to school, and she turned out to be a conservative capitalist.

Well, we are all products of nature and nurture. As we are all adapted in different senses. The fun starts with any debate of in effect of:
For all humans as an ideal, yet also a fact, what is the world as both an ideal and fact and what do we ought to do about that as a fact and ideal.

Now as a universal strong skeptic I have a weird answer to that and even that has limits for the humans and the world. I just know the limits, because I have check my own model for a good, healthy and productive life and not just everybody else's as "I am right and they are wrong". :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Schools should be politically neutral. A healthy student culture should be sceptic about the teachings and society in general. If everything is OK, society doesn't have to fear scepticism as the students will find out by themselves.

I have to admit, I'm a little unsure what 'politically neutral' looks like in reality, although I suspect I'm mostly in agreement with your intent.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have to admit, I'm a little unsure what 'politically neutral' looks like in reality, although I suspect I'm mostly in agreement with your intent.
I think a school should not have a political bias and a teacher should not advocate for or against any political party in class (with, maybe, the exception of unconstitutional parties). In civics, every angle of perception should be viewed without judgement. Teach things as they are and give the students a chance to form their own opinion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a school should not have a political bias and a teacher should not advocate for or against any political party in class (with, maybe, the exception of unconstitutional parties). In civics, every angle of perception should be viewed without judgement. Teach things as they are and give the students a chance to form their own opinion.

It sounds like you're referring more to high school though? The younger the student, the less politics of any kind has a place, really. But higher education is a little different I think. Still, there should be room for a range of opinions, and debate should be encouraged, not quelled. And for the most part I agree with you about politics but in practical terms it's probably a little trickier to separate from bias.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It sounds like you're referring more to high school though? The younger the student, the less politics of any kind has a place, really.
More like middle school, age 10 and up. When do you have civics and history? You can't teach those without going into politics.

PureX

Veteran Member
The problem with this is that a lot of parents WANT their kids to be indoctrinated in whatever ideals the parents hold to. And that's political, religious, economic, and ethnic. They won't send their kids to a school that encourages skepticism and free thinking. Skepticism and free thinking are the 'enemy' as far as they are concerned.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The problem with this is that a lot of parents WANT their kids to be indoctrinated in whatever ideals the parents hold to. And that's political, religious, economic, and ethnic. They won't send their kids to a school that encourages skepticism and free thinking. Skepticism and free thinking are the 'enemy' as far as they are concerned.
The problem with this is that different parents have different positions on politics, religion and economics. And as a (public) school can't cater to all these preferences, it shouldn't cater to any.

It was this kind of wisdom that lead to the US being a secular nation. A truce where the different denominations agreed to not fight within government.
Sadly, some factions have recently decided to terminate the truce.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Mother of NYC heiress paid 'deprogrammer' big bucks after daughter 'brainwashed' by college's woke agenda (msn.com)

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

I didn't even know there were "deprogrammers" to deprogram people brainwashed by the woke agenda. $300 a day? As Jeff Spicoli would say "Righteous bucks."

In addition to the deprogrammer, she enlisted the help from her daughter's former tennis coach. It "might take seven years before Annabella would revert to her old ways of thinking."

Now, she's fundraising for PragerU?

I almost thought this was some kind of parody story, but I guess it's real, at least as far as anything is real. But this whole idea of a "deprogrammer"? I've heard of deprogrammers for people who have been caught up in cults, and I've heard horror stories in relation to that.

I'm not sure if we're getting an accurate glimpse of what goes on at Mount Holyoke.

Thoughts?
I like to think college is there for education and learning but you know how crazy wild teenagers are once they leave the nest and are let loose on campus.

Kappa kappa pie er . Cuppa cuppa poe.pie.. er something like that? Anyways drink em if you got em! Chugga chugga chugga!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And don't intice students to live in your house either. That's just so wrong on a professional level.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But there are reasons to believe students feel less free to openly express political views. I don't see that as positive in universities.
I'm not denying there are examples that went too far, but I found I had no problems when I was in college. I even showed an image of Muhammad in a symposium and in front of a group of honor students said drugs are good.
One of my nieces she was worried at first, and she is Conservative. But I told her she'll be fine. She was.
Ironically, one complaint I did overhear once was a very Conservative student complaining to one of the humanities teachers I had for showing a documentary in class that showed all the bad sides and destruction of the War on the Drugs, and Uncle Sam's own involvement in it (including being a crack wholesaler). It offended her Conservative values, she was angry about it, and was definitely doing the thing Conservatives complain about Liberals doing at college.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mount Holyoke is one of the "Seven Sisters," associated with the elitist Ivy League schools. Another one is Wellesley College, where Hillary Clinton went to school, and she turned out to be a conservative capitalist.
She was far from conservative, despite sharing
some of their agenda, eg, anti-gay marriage,
pro-war.
She designed government run health care
system that made all private care illegal.
That's pretty darned liberal.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
She was far from conservative, despite sharing
some of their agenda, eg, anti-gay marriage,
pro-war.
She designed government run health care
system that made all private care illegal.
That's pretty darned liberal.

As I recall, that really didn't go anywhere.

PureX

Veteran Member
The problem with this is that different parents have different positions on politics, religion and economics. And as a (public) school can't cater to all these preferences, it shouldn't cater to any.

It was this kind of wisdom that lead to the US being a secular nation. A truce where the different denominations agreed to not fight within government.
Sadly, some factions have recently decided to terminate the truce.
But we don't get to decide what the kids learn, the parents do. And that's probably for the best, even though it's not ideal.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It was sidelined when Bill's antics became
the primary focus of government. Still, it
shows her politics, failure notwithstanding.

Maybe, although I never thought either of them were really all that "liberal." They may have latched on to certain elements within liberalism for the sake of political expediency, but I wouldn't interpret it as a true demonstration of their politics. She may have tried to be a liberal, but as you note here, she failed. Maybe she never really had it in her to be a liberal, even if she still tried to follow the script. She just wasn't very good at it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe, although I never thought either of them were really all that "liberal." They may have latched on to certain elements within liberalism for the sake of political expediency, but I wouldn't interpret it as a true demonstration of their politics. She may have tried to be a liberal, but as you note here, she failed. Maybe she never really had it in her to be a liberal, even if she still tried to follow the script. She just wasn't very good at it.
The typical N Ameristanian "liberal" is quite illiberal
in many ways, eg, pro-war, racist, sexist, ignorant
of science. This differs from using the same word
to denote being progressive & permissive.

A liberal who tries & fails to implement oppressive
leftist policies doesn't cease to be liberal just cuz
they fail at it.