• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mother of God"

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Doesn't bother me.
Nor me. To each his own, and it's certainly nothing I lose any sleep over, especially since I'm about as far from being a scriptural literalist as you're likely to run into. To me, any person that does his/her best to live a life of empathy, with compassion & justice/fairness towards all, is likely doing what truly is most moral. IOW, I really don't put much credence at all into politically-correct beliefs, which is why the issue of the "messiah" has so little meaning to me beyond just basic theological academics.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Isaiah was obviously speaking of Jesus of Nazareth. Who else could he have possibly been talking about? No one. It is undeniable that Isaiah wrote of Christ many years before He came.

metis

Isaiah was obviously speaking of Jesus of Nazareth. Who else could he have possibly been talking about? No one. It is undeniable that Isaiah wrote of Christ many years before He came.
So, "Jerome's Bible Commentary", put forth by some of the best Catholic scholars, including Fr. Raymond Brown, is wrong? Hey, you can go and argue with them because I'm sure they'd be interested in how it is that you know so much more than they do.

As for me, I'm really not that interested any longer.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............... I really don't put much credence at all into politically-correct beliefs, which is why the issue of the "messiah" has so little meaning to me beyond just basic theological academics.

What is the inter-relationship between:

Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:22-23
Isaiah 8:14-15 and 1 Peter 2:6-8
Isaiah 9:7; Isaiah 11:1-5; Isaiah 11:10 and Luke 1:32-33; Romans 15:8; Romans 15:12
Isaiah 28:16 and 1 Peter 2:2-8
Isaiah 40:3-5 and Matthew 3:1-3; Mark 1:1-4; Luke 3:3-6; John 1:23
Isaiah 61:1-2 and Luke 4:17-21
Isaiah 9:1-2 and Matthew 4:13-16
Isaiah 42:1-4 and Matthew 12:10-21
Isaiah 53:1 and John 12:37-38
Isaiah 53:4-5 and Matthew 8:16-17; 1 Peter 2:24
Isaiah 53:12 and Luke 22:37

if Not Jesus as Messiah ?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
we all enter this world between the loins of woman.....

God could make an appearance otherwise, but that might be hard to deal with
especially when there are 7billion people on this earth....
and following God in proximity would be difficult

so a more localized event would work better

and of course....
there is the hope ...having been born to flesh....
we might live well enough to be borne in spirit

if Jesus was never God...
the rest of us have no hope

First Baseman

Retired athlete
So, "Jerome's Bible Commentary", put forth by some of the best Catholic scholars, including Fr. Raymond Brown, is wrong? Hey, you can go and argue with them because I'm sure they'd be interested in how it is that you know so much more than they do.

As for me, I'm really not that interested any longer.

Just because somebody tries to twist it or deny it that doesn't make it wrong. Read if for yourself and decide. It's easy, really.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Did you forget to use the quote function? I just caught this.

I think what you are mixing up is treating Satanist as if they are Satan. What is wrong with associating with Satanist the people? I know why you don't want to associate with their beliefs. However, Satanist are not Satan.

I will say non-christian instead of Satanist. Why would you not associate with a non-christian since their beliefs are not supported by Church doctrine?

It seems you are reflecting what you disagree about X beliefs on the people who believe them. Hence, why you dislike associating with them. Priest associate with a lot of people and are friends with a lot of people of various beliefs that the Church dislikes.

However, I don't see that as something you do. Why? What about non-christian beliefs make you not associate with the X people who inherit them?

During the Easter Vigil, there is a part of Mass that the priest says that even though non-christians are accepted as brothers in Christ (or something similar), we still don't permit them to take the Eucharist. They say to non-christians to communion with everyone in thought if not in prayer. I will find it. It's written in the bulletin as a customary way of communing with everyone regardless their religion or

If she and my other friend can be swayed by my being in prayer with them, then their belief isn't as strong as I would have thought.

On that note...

Catholics define it taking part in the Eucharist at Mass. During some holidays and circumstances like funerals and weddings, they'd have communion with everyone. However, it isn't by the Eucharist but as brotherhood in Christ regardless of a person's faith. The one you're talking about is that of the Eucharist. The Church doesn't always commune with Catholics only. If that be the case, they would lock the doors to non-catholics. Non-catholics and non-christians commune too if need be.

There is RF member with a wife, I think, who is Catholic. He attends Mass with her. He is in communion with the Church even though he doesn't take the Eucharist. In general, that is communion. Commune with humanity. That's the universal Church.

I tire of the conversation. You are not paying much attention to anything I have to say. You continue on and on with the same opinions. Have a good day.

metis

What is the inter-relationship between:

Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:22-23
Isaiah 8:14-15 and 1 Peter 2:6-8
Isaiah 9:7; Isaiah 11:1-5; Isaiah 11:10 and Luke 1:32-33; Romans 15:8; Romans 15:12
Isaiah 28:16 and 1 Peter 2:2-8
Isaiah 40:3-5 and Matthew 3:1-3; Mark 1:1-4; Luke 3:3-6; John 1:23
Isaiah 61:1-2 and Luke 4:17-21
Isaiah 9:1-2 and Matthew 4:13-16
Isaiah 42:1-4 and Matthew 12:10-21
Isaiah 53:1 and John 12:37-38
Isaiah 53:4-5 and Matthew 8:16-17; 1 Peter 2:24
Isaiah 53:12 and Luke 22:37

if Not Jesus as Messiah ?
See post #74.

metis

Just because somebody tries to twist it or deny it that doesn't make it wrong. Read if for yourself and decide. It's easy, really.
I not only read it, I taught it. Long story. Plus, I provided a link for you to check on, but it appears you just blew that off as well.

You believe because you want to believe, and it's obvious that any evidence to the contrary you just ignore and come back with a condescending and demeaning rant of one type or another.

fini

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I tire of the conversation. You are not paying much attention to anything I have to say. You continue on and on with the same opinions. Have a good day.

If you don't want to accept the validity of what I say (if you actually read what I say) even if you disagree, how will you have a conversation with me?

In order to converse with people on RF, because of my seizures-messes with processing of the brain-I little have to tear apart each sentence and understand what each person says. I can't process everything at one time.

I do repeat a lot but most of the time it is rephrase. I rephrase (sometimes I don't know) for the specific purpose for readers like yourself to understand what I'm saying. You don't have to disagree. Just understand.

That (and like my religion and politics thread), it kinda seems you do kinda think the way my co-worker things. She just completely cut me off in conversation (drop-convo) and didn't even listen to me.

She heard me but never reflected on what I said, see any truth in it regardless that she disagrees, and discusses the topic in a non-debative manner.

Gets on my last nerve. I also hate drop-off conversations that end with "okay, I'm through with you" (My words). If you don't want to discuss, ignore me. Don't need to tell me. That's more of an ego thing, in my opinion.

Why do people in general (and I am not talking about you; I don't beat around the bush) on RF do that?

Anyway, I would have hoped you read my posts and reflect on the validity of them. It would make for a better conversation if we both wanted to understand what each other says.​

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I not only read it, I taught it. Long story. Plus, I provided a link for you to check on, but it appears you just blew that off as well.

You believe because you want to believe, and it's obvious that any evidence to the contrary you just ignore and come back with a condescending and demeaning rant of one type or another.

fini

Isaiah was a prophet filled with the Spirit and he spoke God's word. Men filled with the Spirit of God put their stamp of approval on the book of Isaiah as genuine many years ago.

I do not need to be led astray by sinners unfamiliar with the Spirit of God. Of course they oppose God, Man has always done so.