• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most persecuted religion in the world is.....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Your thoughts?
I googled this and got "Christianity" is the most persecuted religion world wide.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...s-most-persecuted-people-9630774.html#gallery

Source: above.

But google this for yourself as there are many web articles about the persecution of Christians
world wide.

I think Christianity is one of the most religions who have procecuted. They arent the victim.

Most procecuted religion? Gosh, all minority religions. In the states, Native American religions. I wouldnt know which religions outside the country, I just kow Christianity and Muslim have a strong influence on others who dont convert. I dont remember Judaism being in the mix other than in the Bible where Isrealites killed millions in the name of god.

arthra

Baha'i
Certainly there have been periods where most religions have been persecuted at some time or other... I would suggest though that we have to also look at history and sometimes the persecuted become the persecutors.

For the present in my view the Baha'is in the middle east are among the most persecuted as they have no legal status or few civil rights.

http://news.bahai.org/human-rights/iran/the-bahai-question

Wikipedia has fairly accurate perspective on Baha'i persecution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Bahá'ís

Having been a Baha'i myself I've heard many personal accounts from Baha'is themselves.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What characterizes "persecution"?

There are more Christians than adherents of any other religion, so by some metrics they would appear to be the most persecuted - particularly if religious persecution is not a significant problem at all.

If slandering is a main factor of persecution, I suppose Voodoo would come far ahead of Christianity.

Are we treating fair criticism as persecution as well? If so, then Christianity, Islam and Scientology will arm wrestle the title among them.

Laika

Premium Member
The reason Christianity would be the most persecuted is because it has the most members. That seems like a pretty perverse way to answer it, given historically so many religions and peoples have been driven to the brink of extinction (and over).

e.g. Native American Religions: most of the traditions were oral and so aren't written dow and have therefore been largely lost.

It also doesn't make sense when China still persecutes religious believers (alot less than it used to admittedly) but has relatively small proportion of it's population are Christians (estimated at 67-100 million people).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Come to think of it, it is terribly difficult to measure such a thing in an objective way, but it seems to me that a fair answer would put, say, Native American beliefs far ahead in the persecuted scale than Christianity.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
And why shouldn't they be the most persecuted, when they are the most pushing with their beliefs onto everyone, it all makes since to me.

Kapalika

Premium Member
All you people saying that your own religion is the most persecuted really need to reevaluate your own intellectual honesty.

Particularly if it's the largest in the world and regularly is trying to install theocracy.

God, get a grip on reality people.

I would agree though that Native American beliefs are probably really high up there just because of how much of it has been utterly destroyed over the years. But Judaism probably has for the longest time by the most groups if I had to take a random guess. You can't really measure this though and it's pretty hard to do so.

spirit_of_dawn

All people, regardless of religion, race, and nationality have experienced persecution at one time or another, and will experience it in the future too.

People will be flocking here claiming that their religion is the most persecuted. But then again, so what? This thread is pointless...

Papoon

The most persecuted spiritual practice on earth is psychedelic yoga.

It has only been that way since the US government decided to demonize and ban all psychedelic substances.

Prior to that, it has been the backbone of spiritual practice globally for millennia.

Now it is punishable, almost globally, by imprisonment.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Come to think of it, it is terribly difficult to measure such a thing in an objective way, but it seems to me that a fair answer would put, say, Native American beliefs far ahead in the persecuted scale than Christianity.

All you people saying that your own religion is the most persecuted really need to reevaluate your own intellectual honesty.

Particularly if it's the largest in the world and regularly is trying to install theocracy.

God, get a grip on reality people.

I would agree though that Native American beliefs are probably really high up there just because of how much of it has been utterly destroyed over the years. But Judaism probably has for the longest time by the most groups if I had to take a random guess. You can't really measure this though and it's pretty hard to do so.

I don't think Native Americans were persecuted because they believed in "The Great Spirit". They were mainly persecuted because they were a defeated indigenous people that posed a perceived threat to a philosophy of unbridled expansionism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think Native Americans were persecuted because they believed in "The Great Spirit". They were mainly persecuted because they were a defeated indigenous people that posed a perceived threat to a philosophy of unbridled expansionism.
I don't disagree. Still, a part of it was discouraging the practice of native beliefs without a second thought.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Judaism certainly ranks up there -- although it's hard to distinguish in this case between persecution of a religion, and persecution of a people. All the same, if you look at what a small proportion of the world's peoples are Jewish, and compare that to the level and intensity of their persecution, surely the persecution of that religion has been greater than most.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't disagree. Still, a part of it was discouraging the practice of native beliefs without a second thought.

Not sure they were so much discouraging their beliefs as not wanting them to become a unified and cohesive force. The "Ghost Dance" was, imo, an example of this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not sure they were so much discouraging their beliefs as not wanting them to become a unified and cohesive force. The "Ghost Dance" was, imo, an example of this.
Does that make any difference for the purposes of this thread? I don't think so.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe it would help to point out that the Native Americans probably were not killed for their religions, but that there was a widespread and stubborn effort on the part of Christian missionaries and others to eradicate their religions once the Native Americans had been subjugated.