• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most people in Sweden and Finland now want to join NATO.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Fear may make people do wrong things. What was the need for Ukraine to think of joining NATO?
Yanukovych knew better. Euromaidan was instigated by West.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Kindly see the edited post. I should say fear or pride.

Fear and pride aren't necessarily unreasonable grounds for joining a military alliance; they can stem from legitimate concerns. It seems to me that there were and are good reasons for Ukraine to fear being so geographically close to Russia. There is precedent of Russian annexation of Ukrainian land, and when it comes to pride, who can blame someone for choosing to resist such subservient status by wanting to bolster their military position?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The results show if the actions were right or wrong. I would not stir up a sleeping giant (Kumbhakarna in Hindu mythology, Ravana's brother, who slept for six months in a year).

Full story: https://www.beeparenting.com/c/stories/the-story-of-kumbhkaran’s-sleep/5e16d30d7298bf00085ecb71
The-Story-of-Kumbhkaran’s-Sleep_image_1615977418976.jpeg

Mount Kumbhakarna, Nepal (7,710 meters)
jannu-2.jpg

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Fear may make people do wrong things. What was the need for Ukraine to think of joining NATO?
Yanukovych knew better. Euromaidan was instigated by West.

Let's put our thinking caps on. An enemy had gathered at their border and then were attacked by them unprovoked. Have you not been paying attention?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The results show if the actions were right or wrong. I would not stir up a sleeping giant (Kumbhakarna in Hindu mythology, Ravana's brother, who slept for six months in a year).

Full story: https://www.beeparenting.com/c/stories/the-story-of-kumbhkaran’s-sleep/5e16d30d7298bf00085ecb71
The-Story-of-Kumbhkaran’s-Sleep_image_1615977418976.jpeg

Mount Kumbhakarna, Nepal (7,710 meters)
jannu-2.jpg

How do you compare resisting aggression to "stirring up a sleeping giant?" If I were to show up at your house and punch you in the face, how would you be in the wrong for trying to defend yourself? Logic, son.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Logic - Perhaps I should not have done what made you come to my house and punch me in my face.
Euromaidan, sounds nice, but harmful, as events proved.
I suppose joining European Union is safe (Moldova), it is for movement across countries for trade, jobs and tourism.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Logic - Perhaps I should not have done what made you come to my house and punch me in my face.
Is the Indian legal system really so different from Western ones that punching a person in the face, in their own home, just because you didn't like the way they acted in front of you, is considered legally justifiable?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What happens after I get punched in my face is a different issue. I may make a police complaint or I may pick up a big knife from the kitchen and stab him in chest. Whatever happens and is brought before the court, the court will decide according to the current law.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What happens after I get punched in my face is a different issue. I may make a police complaint or I may pick up a big knife from the kitchen and stab him in chest. Whatever happens and is brought before the court, the court will decide according to the current law.
Do you think invading a foreign country is legitimate foreign policy?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you think invading a foreign country is legitimate foreign policy?
If my country or its interests are harmed, then it is perfectly legitimate to invade the country doing that. Then it becomes one's 'dharma' (duty). And Krishna said:

"Considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat to be the same, engage in war; and by so doing you shall never incur sin."
BhagawadGita 2.38

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
Let ,e clarify, by 'interests', I do not mean business interests. I mean territory or culture. Competition in business is natural.
Both Russia and Ukraine are correct in their war. Russia for safe-guarding its security by a possible induction of NATO in Ukraine (like it is doing now by sending troops to Estonia and Belgium and Germany by sending armaments to Ukraine), and Ukraine to safe-guard its territory.
Where Ukraine is wrong IMHO, is to desire NATO membership. I won't be surprised if Russia expands the war to other NATO countries. They have it coming.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where Ukraine is wrong IMHO, is to desire NATO membership. I won't be surprised if Russia expands the war to other NATO countries. They have it coming.
NATO has a mutual defense agreement.
If Russia invades a NATO member, & poses an existential
threat to this nation, it would rightfully & certainly use all
weapons at its disposal.
Even for non-nuclear nations, this would include nukes
from other members.
Nuclear sharing - Wikipedia

NATO has not invaded Russia. You propose that Russia
invade NATO because of its increasing power. This would
signal Russian designs on all of Europe, & the end of
negotiating for peace.
Do you really believe that they "have it coming", given the
likely consequences of defense, & escalation to nuclear
warfare, with USA, Britain, France, Germany, etc vs Russia?