• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Influential Movies For You.

sealchan

It's hard to pick the most influential movies.
None affected my worldview...that I can discern.
But some are memorable for impressing me with what a movie can accomplish....
Gattaca (1997)
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
It's A Mad Mad Mad World (1963)
Psycho (1960)
Forest Gump (1994)
Paths Of Glory (1957)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Aliens (1986)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Fargo (1996)
These have compelling stories, wonderful acting, & really show
how cinematic music is so important. There are more than those
above, but this list gives a good broad sampling.

Hmmm....1994-97 looks like a great period in movie making.

My grandson loves Nightmare...but possibly Harry Potter will topple that as his favorite.

sealchan

Honestly
Life of Brian.
Taught me that literally anything can and should be mocked. Incidentally I am most suspicious of anything that can't be made fun of. Things that are always likely to get people killed or kill in the name of. Hmm.
Also Rocky Horror. Introduced me to cult film in general.
Oh and Lord of the Rings. My generation's version of Ben Hur or The 10 Commandments. Need I say more?

LOTR was huge for me as a book. Loved the movie too of course.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
LOTR was huge for me as a book. Loved the movie too of course.
Alas I might have been a bit too young to read the book when the movies were released. I did try at the time but I had to wait a little bit before I could fully appreciate it.

Earthling

David Henson
I thought Jesus Christ Superstar was retarded. I hate musicals though. I liked Ender's Game well enough. Not great, but a great ending. Contact I watched when it first came out and it was just ok. I watched it again the other night and I thought it was a great deal better the second time around. I was an unbeliever when I first watched it, and a believer the second time. I felt sorry for Ellie. She got a bum deal.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf really made an impact on me. It was made when I was born but I didn't see it until 20 years later when I got cable. I can sit down and watch this movie from start to finish saying every single line of dialogue by all the characters.

The War. Man, this was a powerful movie to me. Though to some extent it deals with a concept that is against my beliefs, and to me nonsensical, the concept of people going to heaven and watching out for us, the rest of the movie deals with all kinds of social and political issues. Especially war.

Phenomenon is a heart warming movie about a likable character named George. He sees a light come from the sky and is changed from an affable but not to bright guy to a genius. I like those kinds of movies. The human potential outside of normalcy. The video below is the entire movie.

Lord of the Flies. Has everyone not seen it? Read the book or seen the 1963 version? I like the later (1990) version. If a movie ever demonstrated the futility of man in all of it's stunning glory this would be that movie. The video below is the entire movie.

One of my favorite all time movies. I guess I can relate to Red and Seabusciut.

Last edited by a moderator: