• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most everyone desires to raise their families in peace.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why can that not be?
I think because without God it becomes generally impossible.

When you are raised in a culture of "It is normal to have another woman when you are married" and you have no God in your life to say "It is a violation of covenant", it is hard to raise a family in peace.

That same principle can be applied in dozens of other areas that can rob peace in a family.

No God help, by and large, no peace.

I say generally because there are exceptions where a family may have no God but there is enough God around them to still have peace in the family. As Ambassadors for Christ say, "He rains on the just and the unjust".

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

When you are raised in a culture of "It is normal to have another woman when you are married" and you have no God in your life to say "It is a violation of covenant", it is hard to raise a family in peace.

That same principle can be applied in dozens of other areas that can rob peace in a family.

I say generally because there are exceptions where a family may have no God but there is enough God around them to still have peace in the family. As Ambassadors for Christ say, "He rains on the just and the unjust".

Your belief is generally not borne out by the evidence. The notion that without theism we all become amoral, violent hedonists is simply untrue.

Kenny

Premium Member
Your belief is generally not borne out by the evidence. The notion that without theism we all become amoral, violent hedonists is simply untrue.

What does "generally" mean to you? and/or "enough God around them"?

Or did you read it with a pre-conceived position?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
What does "generally" mean to you?

Non-anecdotally. Ie in scientific studies of the subject. There's no evidence on any large scale that theists are less violent than atheists. Unless you have some to present?

and/or "enough God around them"?

How would this be measured, precisely? Perhaps theists are peaceful because they have enough secularism around them? See the problem yet?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

As long as they believe in your particular religion of course. :oops:

Kenny

Premium Member
Non-anecdotally. Ie in scientific studies of the subject. There's no evidence on any large scale that theists are less violent than atheists. Unless you have some to present?

How would this be measured, precisely? Perhaps theists are peaceful because they have enough secularism around them? See the problem yet?
1) It was a viewpoint - you don't have to subscribe to it.
2) "Generally" means that if you don't have a God, god or gods, it doesn't mean that you are evil
3) "Enough God around you" - means that the influence of God is strong enough in your life to make a difference.

So... now that your pre-conceived reading has been addressed...

can we be friends now?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
1) It was a viewpoint - you don't have to subscribe to it.

Well of course not Ken. This is a site for discussing and debating ideas.

2) "Generally" means that if you don't have a God, god or gods, it doesn't mean that you are evil

Except the way it's phrased makes it sound as though that's the exception, not the rule. And my point is that you don't have good evidence for your rule in the first place.

3) "Enough God around you" - means that the influence of God is strong enough in your life to make a difference.

Do you see how that makes your paradigm immune to contradiction? Even if atheists all around you are peaceful, you can rationalize that by saying, "oh, she had an aunt who's a believer," or, "well, he lives in a country with many believers," etc. Do you see the issue?

So... now that your pre-conceived reading has been addressed...

can we be friends now?

I guess that depends, Ken. If you want to be friends, you should try saying things that are friendly. You'll find, if you get to know me, that I'm a pretty friendly guy.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

It's an age-old misconception that can't seem to run its course. Certainly, they can, but it's not the same obviously.

It's a simple idea that having God commits one to a variety of things, that is unmatched in the nontheistic world.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It's an age-old misconception that can't seem to run its course. Certainly, they can, but it's not the same obviously.

It's a simple idea that having God commits one to a variety of things, that is unmatched in the nontheistic world.

The idea is certainly simple, just not one that's evidence-based. If it were, we'd see widespread differences in levels of violence committed by theists vs. nontheists. But we don't. :shrug:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Cool! You should go study the great libertarian economists. You'll like them! They don't empirically test their theories, either.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The idea is certainly simple, just not one that's evidence-based. If it were, we'd see widespread differences in levels of violence committed by theists vs. nontheists. But we don't. :shrug:

Rrrrrrrright.....because we all know there is creed all nontheist subscribe to. Mao was an atheist but wasn't operating under any atheistic premises one can attach to him. In fact, you can't attach anything to any of them.

Unless of course, you are religious. Fair game.

All those Cartel members are Catholic and had they only been swayed by reason and science......maybe just maybe.

Hogwash.

People are far more complicated than that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Even without scientific studies/scripture, thousands of people without any concept of a god build beautiful families while those who do have a god oriented family loose their children due to having parents theology forced on children making many commit suicide.

A lot of christian parents don't realize it until afterwards saying they did what's best for their child. Families without god have different dynamics but no one better than the other.