• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most concise summary of the Trump presidency so far

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Some of them, sure. And I grant them the respect that I normally extend to veterans.

... but the fact that an unelected head of state served in the military doesn't somehow make their rule legitimate.

As people, I have a lot more issues with Trump than I do with Elizabeth... or even with Charles. Still, the way that Trump got into his position is much more in line with the principles of democracy than the way Elizabeth got into hers. Trump has an imperfect mandate from the people, but Elizabeth has no mandate at all.
Elizabeth inherited her position. I understand all the arguments about aristocracy and royalty being outdated hold overs and such, but I remain a loyal monarchist.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
...that isn't the basis of the royal line in the UK.
Some republicans still believe that Queen Elizabeth is a ruler, legislator, etc when in fact she is only the dignified advisor to our PM and signatory..........
But she is also a brilliant representative and has shown outstanding courage in that capacity.

She has walked in to dangers that Donald would probably shy away from.

But they'll never acknowledge that, I reckon. :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Only some of them.
I'd prefer that fewer people overall serve.

All those with a serious line to succession choose to.
Even the Queen did.

When it come down to it the forces answer to them. And it is to the monarch that the military swear allegiance on signing on.
Most regiments have a member of the royal family as Colonel in chief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All those with a serious line to succession choose to.
Even the Queen did.
Her role looks pretty ceremonial to me.
When it come down to it the forces answer to them. And it is to the monarch that the military swear allegiance on signing on.
Most regiments have a member of the royal family as Colonel in chief.
Do you suspect that they're just going thru the motions, & are protected from real danger?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Her role looks pretty ceremonial to me.

Do you suspect that they're just going thru the motions, & are protected from real danger?
certainly not going through the motions.

We all swear loyalty to the monarch when we sign up to join the forces. it is taken very seriously at every level and rank. it is ingrained.
We do not sign up to protect any politician, though that may be our assigned role. but that is a different level of duty. Few would choose to stand between a bullet and the prime minister unless personal protection was their assignment.
If it were the queen they would all line up in ranks.
Nor does your service oath come to an end when you leave the service.
The guards regiments would take that to an extreme.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
certainly not going through the motions.

We all swear loyalty to the monarch when we sign up to join the forces. it is taken very seriously at every level and rank. it is ingrained.
We do not sign up to protect any politician, though that may be our assigned role. but that is a different level of duty. Few would choose to stand between a bullet and the prime minister unless personal protection was their assignment.
If it were the queen they would all line up in ranks.
Nor does your service oath come to an end when you leave the service.
The guards regiments would take that to an extreme.
It looks like show rather than substance.
Ref...
Elizabeth II - Wikipedia
In September 1939, Britain entered the Second World War. Lord Hailsham[24] suggested that the two princesses should be evacuated to Canada to avoid the frequent aerial bombing. This was rejected by Elizabeth's mother, who declared, "The children won't go without me. I won't leave without the King. And the King will never leave."[25] Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret stayed at Balmoral Castle, Scotland, until Christmas 1939, when they moved to Sandringham House, Norfolk.[26] From February to May 1940, they lived at Royal Lodge, Windsor, until moving to Windsor Castle, where they lived for most of the next five years.[27] At Windsor, the princesses staged pantomimes at Christmas in aid of the Queen's Wool Fund, which bought yarn to knit into military garments.[28] In 1940, the 14-year-old Elizabeth made her first radio broadcast during the BBC's Children's Hour, addressing other children who had been evacuated from the cities.[29] She stated: "We are trying to do all we can to help our gallant sailors, soldiers and airmen, and we are trying, too, to bear our share of the danger and sadness of war. We know, every one of us, that in the end all will be well."[29]

In 1943, Elizabeth undertook her first solo public appearance on a visit to the Grenadier Guards, of which she had been appointed colonel the previous year.[30] As she approached her 18th birthday, parliament changed the law so she could act as one of five Counsellors of Statein the event of her father's incapacity or absence abroad, such as his visit to Italy in July 1944.[31] In February 1945, she was appointed as an honorary second subaltern in the Auxiliary Territorial Service with the service number of 230873.[32] She trained as a driver and mechanic and was given the rank of honorary junior commander five months later.[33][34][35]

Elizabeth (far left) on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with her family and Winston Churchill on 8 May 1945, Victory in Europe Day
At the end of the war in Europe, on Victory in Europe Day, Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret mingled anonymously with the celebratory crowds in the streets of London. Elizabeth later said in a rare interview, "We asked my parents if we could go out and see for ourselves. I remember we were terrified of being recognised ... I remember lines of unknown people linking arms and walking down Whitehall, all of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief."[36]

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It looks like show rather than substance.
Ref...
Elizabeth II - Wikipedia
In September 1939, Britain entered the Second World War. Lord Hailsham[24] suggested that the two princesses should be evacuated to Canada to avoid the frequent aerial bombing. This was rejected by Elizabeth's mother, who declared, "The children won't go without me. I won't leave without the King. And the King will never leave."[25] Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret stayed at Balmoral Castle, Scotland, until Christmas 1939, when they moved to Sandringham House, Norfolk.[26] From February to May 1940, they lived at Royal Lodge, Windsor, until moving to Windsor Castle, where they lived for most of the next five years.[27] At Windsor, the princesses staged pantomimes at Christmas in aid of the Queen's Wool Fund, which bought yarn to knit into military garments.[28] In 1940, the 14-year-old Elizabeth made her first radio broadcast during the BBC's Children's Hour, addressing other children who had been evacuated from the cities.[29] She stated: "We are trying to do all we can to help our gallant sailors, soldiers and airmen, and we are trying, too, to bear our share of the danger and sadness of war. We know, every one of us, that in the end all will be well."[29]

In 1943, Elizabeth undertook her first solo public appearance on a visit to the Grenadier Guards, of which she had been appointed colonel the previous year.[30] As she approached her 18th birthday, parliament changed the law so she could act as one of five Counsellors of Statein the event of her father's incapacity or absence abroad, such as his visit to Italy in July 1944.[31] In February 1945, she was appointed as an honorary second subaltern in the Auxiliary Territorial Service with the service number of 230873.[32] She trained as a driver and mechanic and was given the rank of honorary junior commander five months later.[33][34][35]

Elizabeth (far left) on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with her family and Winston Churchill on 8 May 1945, Victory in Europe Day
At the end of the war in Europe, on Victory in Europe Day, Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret mingled anonymously with the celebratory crowds in the streets of London. Elizabeth later said in a rare interview, "We asked my parents if we could go out and see for ourselves. I remember we were terrified of being recognised ... I remember lines of unknown people linking arms and walking down Whitehall, all of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief."[36]

I suggest you try making a move on the queen when a member of the forces is around, on duty or not. you would soon see the loyalty is not show. as an american you might not understand such things, but they are real.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suggest you try making a move on the queen when a member of the forces is around, on duty or not. you would soon see the loyalty is not show. as an american you might not understand such things, but they are real.
It wouldn't even occur to me to make a "move on the queen".
I don't question the loyalty of her subjects...only the claim that all
royals serve in the military (in the normal sense of being a soldier).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I'm not questioning the loyalty of her subjects.
Only the claim that all royals serve in the military
(in the normal sense of being a soldier).

As I said earlier they have no need to, but most senior royals do. and they do whatever other members of the forces do.
Some spend time in each of the forces. To a fully qualified level such as take command of a ship. become an active service pilot or Join a service regiment. Almost all achieve service medals and qualify for them with active service like anyone else.

The queen probably knew as much as any of the other new recruits when she served as a driver mechanic. and stayed in London with the rest of her family during the height of the blitz. (as did I) and it was not fun with raids day and night.
in some respects her service might be seen as tokenism today, but the war might have come to these shores, and then units like hers would have been in he front line.
My Grand father as a chief scientific officer to the Navy , with the seniority of an admiral, was also a member of the local Home Guard (dads army) as a junior officer. At that time no one knew what would happen next.