• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most common reasons atheist

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Just wondering... what are the most common reasons people are atheists in your opinions?
I do not know about atheists specifically, but I think that the #1 reason is that people leave a religion is that they've seen a problem in their family that has been exacerbated by a religious institution, tradition or belief.

Just wondering... what are the most common reasons people are atheists in your opinions?

Reading for themselves the complete
Book of Deuteronomy

Also the books of Leviticus, Genesis and Numbers.

And by "reading" I don't mean listening to it split over multiple weeks, nor guided reading where a pastor or house group tells you how to interpret it. I mean sitting down by yourself somewhere quiet and just ploughing straight through it in an afternoon.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I saw a poll awhile back by Talk Heathen asking its audience why they were atheist. If I recall correctly, the most popular response was something along the lines of "I was never raised to believe in a God."

I think more studies need to be done, but this is the closest I've seen to an attempt at answering this question. It had over a couple of thousand responses.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I lack belief in God for the same reason I lack belief in unicorns or leprechauns -- no hard evidence.
Tradition, hearesay, legends and folklore are not evidence.

Show me evidence for any of these things and I'll believe.

Kfox

I saw a poll awhile back by Talk Heathen asking its audience why they were atheist. If I recall correctly, the most popular response was something along the lines of "I was never raised to believe in a God.".
Yeah; I'll bet if an audience of Theists were asked why they believe in God, the most popular response would be something along the lines of "I was raised to believe in God".