• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most common reasons atheist

Alone? Heck no, my life is full of family, friends, coworkers, business partners, pets, neighbors, etc. etc. In fact if I can find even a moment alone on any given week I consider myself lucky.

Alone in the universe? Probably not.

The "meaning of life" is perhaps the broadest question in existence. Each person has their own purpose that we determine as we go. There is no overarching single purpose for everyone.

For me it's one thing, for you it may be another.

Game of Thrones is getting better each week this season. :)

Wouldn't we all? :)

Just curious that all. I guess I just wanted to know what you believed is the purpose for your life. I think there is a purpose for life as a whole. I just haven't figured out what my personal one is yet. Thanks for your post!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
God only calls those He wants to follow Him. Atheists have not received the call.
How exactly does God call people?

I would say that a person feels "the call" in an internal sense, somewhere in ones heart or had heard a voice inside the mind. Is that right?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you can't figure out a purpose, even in your own life, what makes you think there is one?

I suspect this need for some transcendent purpose in life is an artifact of our species' profound discomfort with the idea of insignificance.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How exactly does God call people?

I would say that a person feels "the call" in an internal sense, somewhere in ones heart or had heard a voice inside the mind. Is that right?
I wonder why God calls so many people to opposing camps. Is He purposely sowing dissent?

When I was a kid i used to put ants from different nests in a jar and watch them fight. Is this the level of God's concern with us?

Demonslayer

Just curious that all

I get it, your questions are fair, ask whatever you want to ask.

I guess I just wanted to know what you believed is the purpose for your life.

I consider the purpose of my life to be finding and fostering love and experiencing joy and happiness as frequently as possible. Key word, experiencing. For me, life is at it's best when I'm experiencing things. I try to fill my life with activity, new experiences, challenges, etc.

I ran the Harpoon 5 mile road race this weekend with my wife and a bunch of friends. My legs hurt today. We got together in the morning, it was a little chilly and I felt some drizzle on my face. I hadn't trained that much so I cramped up around mile 3 and had to tough it out the rest of the way. When it was over we had free beer and sausage & pepper. We helped raise money for ALS research, and it was uplifting at the end to hear how much the race had raised overall. It was a fun day...far, far better than if I had slept late and sat on the couch all day. These kinds of things give my life purpose. It's a small example, but if I link all of these activities and positive experiences together, they become my life.

I think there is a purpose for life as a whole.

Which is what? This is a critical question I have for religious folks. Because this comes up all the time...this idea that the existence of God gives life some overarching purpose. But when I ask what that purpose might be, the answer is never very specific. It's "to live in God's grace" or "to get to Heaven."

Question back to you is, what purpose does someone's life have who believes in God that is unique only to those who believe?

I just haven't figured out what my personal one is yet.

Don't think about it too hard. You probably aren't "meant" to do anything specific. It's not like there is a happy plumber somewhere who loves his job, but he was "supposed" to be an English teacher. If he's happy as a plumber, than he was "meant" to be a plumber. If you're unhappy, try something that makes you happy. When you're at least reasonable happy, you're probably as close as your going to get to "being what you are supposed to be."

Thanks for your post!

And thanks for yours as well!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just wondering... what are the most common reasons people are atheists in your opinions?
Beats me, I haven't spoken to all of them to know. My own case is a bit more complex than most. For me, it isn't a belief or lack of belief, it's based on direct experience...

Deidre

I was an atheist a few years ago, and it felt like a conclusion or natural path I had come to...not really a choice. I think that non-atheists often assume that atheists flip a switch and just ''stop believing,'' or are ''angry with God,'' but that couldn't be further from the truth as to why many people identify as atheists.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If you can't figure out a purpose, even in your own life, what makes you think there is one?

I suspect this need for some transcendent purpose in life is an artifact of our species' profound discomfort with the idea of insignificance.

"our species' profound discomfort with the idea of insignificance"

A sophisticated mind comes with a sophisticated ego.

Bob the Unbeliever

God only calls those He wants to follow Him. Atheists have not received the call.

How nice. Another example of god playing Special Favorites, to the detriment of everyone else. We see this sort of ugly favoritism in the bible, wherein god calls "his people" to murder and commit racial genocide for multiple groups of people.

Apparently their only "crime" was to "choose" to live in an area that god had set aside for his special favorites. Now, being a god, god *could* have simply given them an uncontrollable urge to move elsewhere-- but the bible explains that, too-- bible's god is glorified by the death and destruction of indigenous peoples... it literally states that god is glorified when people are conquered (and subsequently murdered).

As for ME? I am grateful to NOT have been "called by god". In fact? I thank god for being an atheist....

Moreover, I'm kinda bummed that you do not trust your god in this instance-- according to YOU? I am supposed to be an atheist!

lostwanderingsoul

So you see God made the right choice for you. You are happy with not believing and that makes God happy even though you do not believe in Him.

Bob the Unbeliever

So you see God made the right choice for you. You are happy with not believing and that makes God happy even though you do not believe in Him.

Except for the part where I once *did* believe that god had not only called me, but instructed me to be a preacher. Back when I was still dreaming, and under the influence of lies, brainwashing and mental distress.

But I got better.

Seen on a T-shirt:

"God works in mysterious, ineffective and breathtakingly cruel ways."

lostwanderingsoul

It does not matter what you once believed. If God really called you, you would know. False religions make many people think false ideas but that is not the work of God. Maybe your mind is now open to being called for real.

Bob the Unbeliever

It does not matter what you once believed. If God really called you, you would know. False religions make many people think false ideas but that is not the work of God. Maybe your mind is now open to being called for real.

Here, we see a fine example of Hubris.

We also see an example of Projection-- in the poster above, not only purports to read my mind? But projects his/her own highly judgement attitude onto what I actually said.

Finally? No True Scotsman logical fallacy.

Why is it, theists too often stoop to this particular fallacy?

"Your faith experience was NOT REAL, because I SAID SO"

Wow... such arrogance is utterly without limit.

And worse? One of the most insulting things you can say to another human!

I'd report this, but .... I'd rather the INSULT remain for all to witness. This is a Fine Example of the utter and complete failure of the god this person purports to represent.

No self-respecting god would tolerate such an egocentric and insulting representative.... thus proving the god in question is likely just a myth.

Bob the Unbeliever

In my opinion, if there were gods, they would be better at it.

They would not rely on mere humans to relay their messages or commands.

Indeed. The above is one of the more concise reasons why gods cannot be real.

If there was a god? There would be just the one (1) religion-- and we'd not need faith.