• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moshi moshi

Gargovic Malkav

As a newly registered member I assume this is the best place to place my first post and start up my first thread.
So, hello everybody!

About me:
I haven't been raised in a religious environment, and that's probably why I have been an atheist for most of my life. But later in life I became interested in the bible and the quran(after I read them I also became interested in the apocrypha/pseudepigrapha and also in Non-Abrahamic scriptures) as I grew curious about what was actually in there. I came to notice that many people (believers and atheists alike) had a very outspoken opinion of the religion(s) based on them, without knowing themselves what was actually written in there. Many of them just seemed to copy the opinions and traditions of the people they grew up with/people that raised them without questioning, and shame, ridicule, or even intimidate those who think the truth may be more complicated than what their "culture" dictates. As I started to study the scriptures myself, I gradually started to open my mind about believing in an all-knowing and all-powerful entity. I think this was partially because I lacked direction in my life. Being an atheist made me feel sort of free in the sense of believing what you want to believe and doing whatever you want to do. But at the same time, it made me feel "trapped" in existence itself, as I lacked a goal to live for. I'm also a loner by nature, so I've always found it hard to deal with people, especially for prolonged periods of time. I think this is also a reason why God is so important to me, so that I won't hold a grudge against mankind(including myself), as this was an issue I've struggled with for a long time with in the past. But obviously I don't want to be alone(with God) all the time because otherwise I have no reason to be on this forum. I felt this was the perfect environment where I can talk about my beliefs, and listen to what others have to say without having to feel that I'm talking to "the wrong crowd" all the time, as the diversity is great and yet interested in religion in an open-minded kind of way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a newly registered member I assume this is the best place to place my first post and start up my first thread.
So, hello everybody!

About me:
I haven't been raised in a religious environment, and that's probably why I have been an atheist for most of my life. But later in life I became interested in the bible and the quran(after I read them I also became interested in the apocrypha/pseudepigrapha and also in Non-Abrahamic scriptures) as I grew curious about what was actually in there. I came to notice that many people (believers and atheists alike) had a very outspoken opinion of the religion(s) based on them, without knowing themselves what was actually written in there. Many of them just seemed to copy the opinions and traditions of the people they grew up with/people that raised them without questioning, and shame, ridicule, or even intimidate those who think the truth may be more complicated than what their "culture" dictates. As I started to study the scriptures myself, I gradually started to open my mind about believing in an all-knowing and all-powerful entity. I think this was partially because I lacked direction in my life. Being an atheist made me feel sort of free in the sense of believing what you want to believe and doing whatever you want to do. But at the same time, it made me feel "trapped" in existence itself, as I lacked a goal to live for. I'm also a loner by nature, so I've always found it hard to deal with people, especially for prolonged periods of time. I think this is also a reason why God is so important to me, so that I won't hold a grudge against mankind(including myself), as this was an issue I've struggled with for a long time with in the past. But obviously I don't want to be alone(with God) all the time because otherwise I have no reason to be on this forum. I felt this was the perfect environment where I can talk about my beliefs, and listen to what others have to say without having to feel that I'm talking to "the wrong crowd" all the time, as the diversity is great and yet interested in religion in an open-minded kind of way.

Well howdy. You'll fit right in.

Daemon Sophic

A good intro @Gargovic Malkav , and welcome aboard!

Have some dark chocolate rum balls while we wait for the lowly masses to come in greeting. :D
TheBESTChocolateBourbonorRumBallRecipe2.jpg

Gargovic Malkav

Thanks. Now I'm going to take my sweet time to take in how things work around here. So I'll lurk around a bit so I can get to know the environment better and and get an idea of what the social norms are in this place so that I can do a better job at not coming across as an obnoxious person or a socially ignorant/indifferent hermit. P.s. Daemon Sophic, the virtual dark chocolate rum balls are delicious.https://www.religiousforums.com/members/daemon-sophic.17718/

King Phenomenon

So, hello everybody!

About me:
I'm glad to see that you started to open your mind to an all powerful entity:)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
So, hello everybody!

About me:
Welcome to RF. You gave a nice and interesting introduction. I think it has an advantage to have not been raised in a religious environment, so you are open and able to investigate yourself, without being influenced by others too much. My own personal experience I value the most.

I wish you all the best, and "be happy" in whatever path you find/choose, whether it be Atheist or Theist path.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Hi, welcome to RF. Sit back, relax and enjoy the cake

1298901153_1e3e1c4e06_b.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I came to notice that many people (believers and atheists alike) had a very outspoken opinion of the religion(s) based on them, without knowing themselves what was actually written in there. Many of them just seemed to copy the opinions and traditions of the people they grew up with/people that raised them without questioning, and shame, ridicule, or even intimidate those who think the truth may be more complicated than what their "culture" dictates.

As I started to study the scriptures myself, I gradually started to open my mind about believing in an all-knowing and all-powerful entity.

I think this was partially because I lacked direction in my life. Being an atheist made me feel sort of free in the sense of believing what you want to believe and doing whatever you want to do. But at the same time, it made me feel "trapped" in existence itself, as I lacked a goal to live for.

I felt this was the perfect environment where I can talk about my beliefs, and listen to what others have to say without having to feel that I'm talking to "the wrong crowd" all the time, as the diversity is great and yet interested in religion in an open-minded kind of way.
Welcome to the forum. Yeah, you generally do not have a high opinion of other people.
You are hardly an atheist with your belief in an all-powerful, all-knowing entity.
It seems you have found your direction. It is not a high quality atheism when you feel you can believe in whatever you like and do whatever you want to do.
Of course, be with us and talk about your beliefs, we like that. :)

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

Welcome to the forum. Yeah, you generally do not have a high opinion of other people.
You are hardly an atheist with your belief in an all-powerful, all-knowing entity.
It seems you have found your direction. It is not a high quality atheism when you feel you can believe in whatever you like and do whatever you want to do.
Of course, be with us and talk about your beliefs, we like that. :)

People scare and tire me very easily(I'm diagnosed with PDD NOS and have social anxiety). And all my life I felt more comfortable being alone most of the time. It's not that I think I'm better or more important than other people(sometimes I slip, but God always makes me realize that sooner or later), but I get anxious very easily, especially when I feel I'm having a conflict with somebody. I think I got that from my father, as he also had problems in dealing with other people. I feel like I inherited some of his traits, but I don't want to be like him because he is a very toxic individual. I hope this forum will help me become wiser, keep my ego better under control, and overcome my anxiety. And hopefully I can say things that can be useful to others as well.
Your criticism about my perceived atheism; Maybe nihilism would be a better word.

Prim969

So, hello everybody!

About me:
Gargovic welcome to RF. Christine & Daemon have already spoiled you with their yummy cakes and rum balls already : ) So best I not add. I do hope you enjoy your time here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

I see that others have already offered the dessert confections.
So I'll offer some real food.
pm_1_1_1197.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The chocolate is for eating.
But in the RF cafeteria, you'll need "throwing food" for
the lively discussions about the issues of the day.
I recommend....
OIP.zT0ieWUx_9k8bo1xljX5QQHaHa

for.....
OIP.H8GB2nN2Xcqf0ffV4rrqSwHaEL

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I hope this forum will help me become wiser, keep my ego better under control, and overcome my anxiety.
I am not a nihilist. A nihilist would probably not care about what he does. I have not given it much thought. So, you and I do believe in some thing. Perhaps the tone of my post was a little harsher than I intended (and I am sorry for that). But you cannot be an atheist while believing in (as you said) an all-powerful and all-knowing entity. That will be a contradiction. :)

Gargovic Malkav

I am not a nihilist. A nihilist would probably not care about what he does. I have not given it much thought. So, you and I do believe in some thing. Perhaps the tone of my post was a little harsher than I intended (and I am sorry for that). But you cannot be an atheist while believing in (as you said) an all-powerful and all-knowing entity. That will be a contradiction. :)

I'm not saying I am still an atheist. At least that's not what I meant if it seems so in my introduction. I see myself as religious now and regard the Abrahamic scriptures as my unofficial "alma mater" or pillar or whatever you like to call it. And the thing I said about "perceived atheism" was not about what I thought of you, but what you said about me identifying myself as an atheist and how I associated that with being free in whatever one believes and whatever one does. As (most) atheists indeed follow some sort "code" as well. That's why I thought nihilist was a better term for the philosophy(or lack of it) I used to follow, as life didn't make sense to me and had no goal to live for.