• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses, the Fugitive Hero?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is the story of Moses a retelling of the Fugitive Hero narrative?

The story of Moses in the opening chapters of the Book of Exodus follows a pattern that is shared among the Bible’s major narratives, and recalls stories of the ancient Near East from Egypt in the south, Mesopotamia in the east, and Hatti (Asia Minor) in the north:

• Sinuhe the Egyptian — early second millennium B.C.E.
  • Idrimi the Syrian — mid-15th century B.C.E.
  • Hattushili III the Hittite — mid-13th century B.C.E.
  • Esarhaddon, King of Assyria — mid-7th century B.C.E.
  • Nabonidus, King of Babylon — mid-6th century B.C.E.
All these texts share a common fugitive narrative pattern: They tell of a national leader or hero who is compelled to leave his homeland, spends a period in exile, receives an instruction or encouragement from a deity to return home, achieves leadership or fame at home, and founds or renews a cult or ritual.
https://www.thetorah.com/article/moses-and-the-fugitive-hero-pattern

Altfish

Veteran Member

The story of Moses in the opening chapters of the Book of Exodus follows a pattern that is shared among the Bible’s major narratives, and recalls stories of the ancient Near East from Egypt in the south, Mesopotamia in the east, and Hatti (Asia Minor) in the north:

All these texts share a common fugitive narrative pattern: They tell of a national leader or hero who is compelled to leave his homeland, spends a period in exile, receives an instruction or encouragement from a deity to return home, achieves leadership or fame at home, and founds or renews a cult or ritual.
Isn't Jesus very similar to Mithras and his story allegedly based on Mithras

Lain

In my opinion: it's certainly constructed that way.

Last edited:

Lain

In my opinion: no, that is a common claim though although it lacks evidence. The story of Jesus does have other tropes present in it though, such as the "King tries to kill the new King in the crib" thing in St. Matthew's Gospel, which is I believe said of some Babylonian Kings beforehand and obviously is related to Exodus.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently watched a video by a religious studies university graduate on this. He said that we have no written evidence for the Mithras myth and we can only reconstruct it (if that) from paintings and such. Folks connected Mithras to Jesus because of similar depictions at a table with other diners; but when one looks further afield, this was just the common Roman way of celebration and worship, and is found depicted a lot. We don't really know anything about the Mithras myth.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
After having a quick read of these guys' stories I can really only see superficial similarities. Many of the stories sound like pretty standard fare for most of history and I can't really see any Mosaic connexions :shrug:

exchemist

Veteran Member

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I think Sargon of Akkadia is is similar too and the timescale.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"King tries to kill the new King in the crib"
That is there is the Krishna story as well. Kams, his uncle wanted Krishna to be killed because of the prophecy that the eighth child of Devaki, his sister, will kill him.

Kind of the point, was Moses also a fictional narrative? A hero created for the Hebrew to look up to.

If we are speaking of Mika Waltari's Sinuhe, he was not meant to be taken as real existing person. Moses is at least claimed to be a real person in history. There is no question about Sinuhe, because it was not even meant to be taken as a fact. I think it is not reasonable to compare intentionally fictional book to book that is intended to be a historical book. If you claim that Moses story was created to be looked up, I think that would require evidence, especially when we can read from the book that Moses is not a perfect man, just a man that led people away from Egypt.

pearl

I've heard is said that Hebrew Scripture is considered history beginning with the 12th chapter of Exodus, all else is considered pre-history.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know only the Waltari's version that is written in modern time. Do you know anything about it from ancient era?
I haven't read the story as given here, but in one of my books on Ancient Egypt it comes with this introduction,

20211024_190207.jpg