• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses' new prophet

Who do you think is Moses' promised prophet in Deuteronomy 18?

• Total voters

kai

ragamuffin
Ezzedean said:
18I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

I'm sorry but the line which states "and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him." I immediately think of Mohammed when I read that. The story of Mohammed is based around the fact that he was illiterate and the reason he was able to speak the way he did was because God commanded him to do so.

ok but that would be about 1000 years into the future and considering what was to come to pass and the magnitude of things that would happen to the isrealites in that time why would he skip over all that?

and does anyone else know if the messiah was a concept in the time of moses or when is it first mentioned.

Ezzedean

John 16
12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.

This seems like the same person who Moses was speaking of. Mohammed?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
John 16
12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.

This seems like the same person who Moses was speaking of. Mohammed?

Sounds like Christ to me.

Ezzedean

John 16

Ummm... Christ is clearly talking about someone else, and not himself. Those are Christs words in John 16:12-14. Why wouldn't Jesus be saying I will come, and I will speak this, and I will glorify my name. He is clearly saying He will come, and he will speak this, and he will glorify my name.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
John 16

Ummm... Christ is clearly talking about someone else, and not himself. Those are Christs words in John 16:12-14. Why wouldn't Jesus be saying I will come, and I will speak this, and I will glorify my name. He is clearly saying He will come, and he will speak this, and he will glorify my name.

I believe right there in those verses that Christ is annoucning his divine sonship--meaning Christ is saying that He is the Son of God.

Ezzedean

beckysoup61 said:
I believe right there in those verses that Christ is annoucning his divine sonship--meaning Christ is saying that He is the Son of God.

Well I could have agreed on the fact that these verses weren't talking about Mohammed, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on the fact that Jesus is talking about himself, and not another person in John 16. I don't think Jesus was talking about himself in this verse because I believe if he were talking about himself the verse would go something like this;

12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when I, the Spirit of truth, comes, I will guide you into all truth. I will not speak on my own; I will speak only what I hear, and I will tell you what is yet to come. 14I will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.

unfortunately that is not how the verse is written, and it is not what's said... the verse goes like this

Is it not common sense to believe that he is talking about a completely different person, or am I just crazy?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when I, the Spirit of truth, comes, I will guide you into all truth. I will not speak on my own; I will speak only what I hear, and I will tell you what is yet to come. 14I will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.
No, it wouldn't, Jesus Christ isn't necessarily the 'spirit of truth', that is the Holy Spirit. And Jesus Christ would never take any glory unto Himself. Ever read the verse

"They will be done." ? In this verse Jesus Christ never glorifies Himself, only His Father who is in Heaven. The verse is bascially saying that by the power of the Holy Ghost you will know that I(Jesus Christ) is the Son of God and that I glorify my Father who is Heaven.
. You aren't crazy, but Christ never glorifies Himself, only His Father and the Holy Spirit glorifies both Christ and the Father.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what version of the Bible you are quoting out of but my version (KJV) reads:

John 16:12-15

12. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you
14. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

I believe Christ is just saying, like I've stated before that the Holy Spirit will testify of Jesus Christ being the Son of God and will testify of the Father.

Ezzedean

beckysoup61 said:
. You aren't crazy, but Christ never glorifies Himself, only His Father.

If this is the case then John 16 12-14 can't be talking about Christ.

This person whom Jesus speaks of in this verse is going to bring glory to him, and if Jesus doesn't glorify himself, then this person whom Jesus speaks of can't be Jesus. So this leads me to my next question.......Could it be Mohammed who speaks of in John 16:12-14... and could it be Mohammed who Moses speaks of Deuteronomy 18?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:

This person whom Jesus speaks of in this verse is going to bring glory to him, and if Jesus doesn't glorify himself, then this person whom Jesus speaks of can't be Jesus. So this leads me to my next question.......Could it be Mohammed who speaks of in John 16:12-14... and could it be Mohammed who Moses speaks of Deuteronomy 18?

If you look back, I edited my post to include the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit glorifies both Jesus Christ and the Father.

So far you haven't shown any scriptures to even allude the tineist bit that Mohammad is the one he is talking about.

Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit in that verse.

Ezzedean

The holy spirit speaks, and teaches, and glorifies the name of God? I thought that the holy spirit was more of an influence, or something that inspires, I didn't know that the Holy Spirit speaks to people. Jesus is talking as if you are going to see this person, and that this person is going to be teaching to people, a prophesising things. How could this be the Holy Spirit?

kai

ragamuffin
Ezzedean said:

2he will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you" why would mohammed bring glory to jesus? and i refer you to my last post on moses deut 18 and mohhammed

Ezzedean

beckysoup61 said:
If you look back, I edited my post to include the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit glorifies both Jesus Christ and the Father.

So far you haven't shown any scriptures to even allude the tineist bit that Mohammad is the one he is talking about.

Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit in that verse.

Yes I have. If you learn about Mohammed you will know that he was an illiterate. He did not speak of himself, but he was told what to say and he said it to the people. He glorified Jesus' name, and made it clear that those who do not believe in Jesus, don't believe in Islam or God, it is a part of the islamic faith to believe in Jesus as the Christ, so did he glorify Jesus? I think so. Did he not speak of himself but was told what to say and said in unto the people? I think so. So does that allude just a tiny bit that Mohammed is the one he is talking about?

Ezzedean said:
The holy spirit speaks, and teaches, and glorifies the name of God? I thought that the holy spirit was more of an influence, or something that inspires, I didn't know that the Holy Spirit speaks to people. Jesus is talking as if you are going to see this person, and that this person is going to be teaching to people, a prophesising things. How could this be the Holy Spirit?

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26

The Holy Spirit does indeed teach people. Also, if you notice, John 14:23-16:16 is all one large, uninterrupted speech by Jesus. Thus, the same Spirit is clearly being referred to in both 14:26 and 16:13-14. It is in fact the Holy Spirit, who teaches and guides the Church into all truth.

FerventGodSeeker

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:

Yep. Well the Holy Spirit is a member of the Godhead, is he not?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
Yes I have. If you learn about Mohammed you will know that he was an illiterate. He did not speak of himself, but he was told what to say and he said it to the people. He glorified Jesus' name, and made it clear that those who do not believe in Jesus, don't believe in Islam or God, it is a part of the islamic faith to believe in Jesus as the Christ, so did he glorify Jesus? I think so. Did he not speak of himself but was told what to say and said in unto the people? I think so. So does that allude just a tiny bit that Mohammed is the one he is talking about?

So did Joseph Smith.

Ezzedean

kai said:
2he will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you" why would mohammed bring glory to jesus? and i refer you to my last post on moses deut 18 and mohhammed

Why wouldn't Mohammed glorify Jesus? It's what he was chosen for. Mohammed was known by God as "The Mercy". The reason for this is because he confirmed the messages in which God sent before him. He confirmed Moses and glorified his name, and spoke of his as the great man he was, and he did the same for Jesus and made it clear that Jesus is the Messiah.

Now Jesus states in the Bible after one of his disciples call him good.

"Why callest thou me Good? Only ONE is good, and that is my father which is in heaven"

Now if Jesus get's upset at his disciples calling him good, how would he feel if he found out people were calling him God?

Mohammed does glorify Jesus by teaching about him as he really was, which was a prophet of God. There are many reasons for him to glorify Jesus, and he did this.

Ezzedean

FerventGodSeeker said:
It is in fact the Holy Spirit, who teaches and guides the Church into all truth.

FerventGodSeeker

If this be the case, would you agree that the holy spirit isn't doing that good of a job? Considering all the different sects and confusion amongst Christians and Christianity? Dont get offended by that comment, but I just think that if the holy spirit is behind everything, then it's in error due to the fact that you have Catholics, Christians, Mormons, Babtists, LDS, Jahova Witness, and so on and so forth, and teaching from the same book, but yet they all believe they are more right than the other. Where is the Holy Spirit to clear up all this confusion amongst you Christians?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
Now if Jesus get's upset at his disciples calling him good, how would he feel if he found out people were calling him God?

Mohammed does glorify Jesus by teaching about him as he really was, which was a prophet of God. There are many reasons for him to glorify Jesus, and he did this.

I think Christ gets upset because He doesn't not want people to glorify Him, like I've stated before, Christ glorifies the Father.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
If this be the case, would you agree that the holy spirit isn't doing that good of a job? Considering all the different sects and confusion amongst Christians and Christianity? Dont get offended by that comment, but I just think that if the holy spirit is behind everything, then it's in error due to the fact that you have Catholics, Christians, Mormons, Babtists, LDS, Jahova Witness, and so on and so forth, and teaching from the same book, but yet they all believe they are more right than the other. Where is the Holy Spirit to clear up all this confusion amongst you Christians?

Wouldn't you say that Muhammad didn't do a good job? There are splits in the Muslim faith, and it is actually worldwide known for being a "terroist" religion.

BTW, please get back on topic, this thread is not about the Holy Ghost, it is about who Moses was talking about.

The error isn't the Holy Spirit, the error is man choosing to do something different then what the Holy Spirit says.