• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mortification of the flesh

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
What do you think about it. i was prepared to do it but i couldnt because I was kind of freaked out. what is the best method of doing this? Also is it right or not? is it a sacrifice or not?

Mortification of the flesh is basically practicing ascetisism, denying worldly things, or doing damage to your body to show your sacrifice or hatred of the body.

More Here

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It looks like it can be taken to various depths or heights. Fasting is practised in many religions. (I don't fast because I hate my body. I fast to be thankful of food when I have it, or to prepare for ritual.)

I think it's very sad that people would feel that their religion calls for them to inflict harm upon themself. I would wonder why they feel they should harm the vessel that their creator has given them.

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
I would say there are much better ways to prove to yourself that you love God. Go help someone in need - that's much harder to do, and actually accomplishes something.

actually im currently trying to sign up to work at a local soup kitchen

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
its not dire harm. its just to show that the body can die but the spirit will not. and if you deny the physical world for the spiritual you are a beacon of light

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
~Lord Roghen~ said:
its not dire harm. its just to show that the body can die but the spirit will not. and if you deny the physical world for the spiritual you are a beacon of light

Yes, but that idea only works in religions that distance the spiritual world from that of the physical.

Booko

Deviled Hen
~Lord Roghen~ said:

I don't know it's necessary to deny the physical world, but rather to avoid attachments to it. Even in your religious tradition, the scriptures advise to "be in this world, but not of it."

It's amazing what can come of detachment. Things that once annoyed you no longer do, while money is a necessity, it doesn't rule you, and you end up just being more freed to pursue things of value. Not to mention you can be happy in even miserable circumstances.

This all ends up getting into the nature of "tests" and how some people object that a loving God would never abuse His creatures.

As a gardener, I'm not so sure about that. I often prune shrubs so that they will grow straighter and fuller. What's the difference between that and the trials of life? We get spiritual pruned, and if we head in the right direction, the result is spiritual growth.

I think there's enough mortification of the flesh to be had for no effort in this life. Just take that and use it to grow spiritually and to be of service to humanity and the world.

SoyLeche

meh...
I do fast once a month. It is a good way to learn to control your body, and make sure that the Spirit is the boss, not the body. Also, the money that would have been spent on food goes to a welfare system. You mentioned in another thread wishing something like this were set up. The LDS church is WAY ahead of you on that one :)

evearael

I have to agree that fasting for a day and giving the money saved to charity is probably a much better choice because you help others while practicing self-control. There are much better ways to connect with God than harming what He created. Let us know how the soup kitchen turns out, that is certainly a worthy use of your time.

Karl R

~Lord Roghen~ said:
Mortification of the flesh is basically practicing ascetisism, denying worldly things, or doing damage to your body to show your sacrifice or hatred of the body.
In my opionion, hatred of the body violates the great commandment.

Jesus told us to love others as we love ourselves. This is supposed to be difficult. We're not supposed to circumvent this commandment by hating ourselves ... not even our bodies. The people around us are not just spiritual beings, but flesh and blood like us.

Doing damage to our bodies also violates another teaching from Jesus:
Your body is a temple. Treat it with respect. Build it up instead of destroying it.

At one point Jesus did go into the wilderness and fasted for 40 days. However, he went alone. He never asked his disciples to practice this. There is no evidence that any of the apostles ever practiced this extreme of a fast.

Fasting and other forms of self-discipline or self-denial can be practiced without going to dangerous extremes.

If you want to practice a form of self-discipline that involves self-denial and reduces attachment to worldly things, I recommend practicing simplicity.

Buddha practiced asceticism for a number of years, but abandoned it because it did not lead to enlightenment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Denying the body of basic needs, can lead to a varying degree of madness, insantiy, and other problems, depending on how long you go. If your going to fast, make sure it's for a cause you can stick to, or you'll end up eating the first thing you can. Myself, I will naturally start fasting when I'm under a great deal of stress. I don't know why, I just don't want to eat.

Cutting yourself, that just gets painful. Not to mention you run a high risk of infection of you don't use a clean blade.

If you want to do some sort of body modifications, get tattoos or piercings. Piercings will heal over when you no longer want them, and tatts can be very artistically done.