• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrighan

Firecat89

People who know Celtic Mythology will have no doubt heard of Morrighan, the Irish goddess of death and war. She helped the Tuatha De Danann at both battles of Magh Tuireadh, though she really did not *belong* to a side. She chose her favorite at each battle. Typically she is associated and sometimes mistaken for other war deities such as Macha, Badb, and Nemain. Her favorite forms were the raven and crow, and she often soared overhead, shrieking and flapping her wings to frighten a being or to signify imminent death.

The question I would like to pose here would have to be:

Is Morrighan really as ruthless as she is made out to be?

Everyone thought I was mistaken, or delusional when I had a very vivid dream of Morrighan. I was running barefoot through the snow in tattered clothes, and she was chasing me, running swiftly while surrounded by her hounds. I paused as she raised a bow and arrow and pointed it at me, because I knew at that moment there was nothing I could do. But as I stood frozen in place, I looked into her eyes and loved her. Loved her just as I knew she was certain to kill me. Her eyes softened, she lowered her bow without a word and continued past me to kill something or someone else.

Prima

I think just because someone is ruthless doesn't mean they are all the time. So yes, I think she is as ruthless as she is made out to be, but that she isn't ruthless all the time. Ack, that sounded so mixed up.

By the way, that's a very cool dream :D

Firecat89

Aw thanks. And you *are* kind of untranslatable but I get the gist of it. I just wanted to know whether it's because she loves me, or because I had a purpose before I had to "die", and that's why she went to kill someone else. I haven't dedicated myself to her yet, but I really feel strongly connected to her. Ravens and crows just love me, they form triangles outside my window all day and let me get closer to them than most people. Freakiness...

*Cracks up* I'm so used to your other screen names that I almost forgot who you were. Howdy there.

Prima

Well, in your specific case it could be because she loves you - because you are connected to her. But that doesn't negate what I'm saying. (that she is ruthless, but not all the time)

Firecat89

Well I could try and find a perfect word for ruthless but not all the time... I know the feel of her but I don't really know how to describe it. Her love is never up close love... sometimes it's because she wants something, but that doesn't make love any less, just for a different reason. She still kind of stays cold and distant. If she were a person, I would not expect that I could sit down and have a nice friendly chat with her.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I interpret the dream as you will find yourself close to death, but death will pass when you accept its coming.
I don't think Morrighan is that ruthless. Just because she is a war goddess doesn't make her ruthless. But she can be ruthless.
I had my own dream that involved Morrighan. The dream was that of a war-torn United States, devistated from a war fought on US soil. I saw a crow were ever I went, gazing upon what was once great cities, now completly razed to the ground.