• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmonkey

I would like to have an honest, open and civil discussion about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons or LDS). I don't want to have folks condemning anyone (or 'The Church'- as it's known in Utah) or calling names. I simply want to talk, learn and discuss what the LDS truly believe. If you're interested reply and let's see what we can see.
Thanks, rocmonkey.

Philomath

Sadhaka
I would like to have an honest, open and civil discussion about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons or LDS). I don't want to have folks condemning anyone (or 'The Church'- as it's known in Utah) or calling names. I simply want to talk, learn and discuss what the LDS truly believe. If you're interested reply and let's see what we can see.
Thanks, rocmonkey.

Shouldn't this be posted in the LDS section then?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thanks, rocmonkey.
You've got your first taker, rocmonkey. Just a heads up, though... Over the years, a lot of previously anti-Mormon folks on this forum have come to actually change their opinions about "the Church" after similar discussions. Keep in mind that you may be risking that by starting this thread. ;) Some of these folks ("real" Christians like yourself, Muslims, atheists, etc.) may actually jump in from time to time to defend Mormonism when you post inaccurate information about it. When it comes to anti-Mormonism, you may be surprised at how relatively little there is of it here on RF.

rocmonkey

Shouldn't this be posted in the LDS section then?

I couldn't find one so I didn't know there was one... except for the DIR one which, basically, I was asked (by you, I think) to leave. Can you point me that way- haven't figured out the navigation yet (obviously).

rocmonkey

You've got your first taker, rocmonkey. Just a heads up, though... Over the years, a lot of previously anti-Mormon folks on this forum have come to actually change their opinions about "the Church" after similar discussions. Keep in mind that you may be risking that by starting this thread. ;) Some of these folks ("real" Christians like yourself, Muslims, atheists, etc.) may actually jump in from time to time to defend Mormonism when you post inaccurate information about it. When it comes to anti-Mormonism, you may be surprised at how relatively little there is of it here on RF.

I am not anti-Mormon. I am pro-truth. I wish the LDS would stop calling us that when all we do is post Mormon doctrine as taught, printed and published by the Mormon church. And, I never state what I have not personally researched which I always give references for. I did almost become LDS back in '88 but that was before I found the truth about the LDS church.

You see, most folks are good with following their feelings (all Mormons today take feelings over faith/truth- I'll show you proof of that) or believe, blindly, what they were told/taught by parents, church leaders, etc. I do not accept the word of any man for anything where I can research it. I find then follow the truth- whatever it states and wherever it leads. Most people, I have found, do not, sadly. They follow anything and everything except the clear truth or overwhelming evidence.
That said, there is no chance of an LDS conversion for me, really. I've spoken with thousands of LDS, missionaries included. Most quit talking to me bcuz they can't answer my simple questions or they won't bcuz it makes them admit their church is... well, at least not Christian. Using the info about the church that I've learned I have convinced some LDS to leave the church as well.

if you choose to participate you 'will' learn LDS doctrines you have never heard of before. That's a guarantee. What you do with that info, however eye-opening, is and always will be your free agency- between you and God. :)

rocmonkey

I'll start by asking a simple question.
Why does the LDS church teach (D&C 132) that their god is not the author of confusion but then teach (from the LDS god to his greatest prophet ever, Joseph Smith) that Jesus created everything (nothing existed anywhere until Jesus created it) then turnaround and teach (all of these being LDS doctrines, naturally) through that very same prophet, that Jesus had a dad who has a dad who has a dad ad infinitum? How can that be, even remotely, true- any of it?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am not anti-Mormon. I am pro-truth. I wish the LDS would stop calling us that when all we do is post Mormon doctrine as taught, printed and published by the Mormon church.
Uh... who's "us," rocmonkey. For starters I never called you "anti-Mormon." I used the phrase, but nowhere did I imply that I was using it to describe you. If the shoe fits, put it on and get comfy. If it doesn't, just calm down and let's start over.

Before I respond to any other post you make, I want to make absolutely sure that you understand one thing. I'm going to post a couple of paragraphs taken from an official statement by the LDS Church's "First Presidency," (a body of three who are higher-ranking than individual Apostles). It is found on the Church's official website.

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

Now before we go on, I want to know that you have read and understand these two paragraphs and that you are willing to keep them in mind throughout this debate. In order for me to ascertain that you've actually made the effort to undestand and internalize what they say, I would like to hear you paraphrase them in your own words. Once you've done that, I will respond to every point you raise. That is a promise.

(I am particularly interested in hearing you explain what you believe is meant by the statements I've put in darker blue, boldface type.)

By the way, I am leaving now and will not be available again for a couple of hours, so I ask for your patience when it comes to my getting back to you.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Are all Mormons encouraged to think the same way about certain dogma?
Yes and no. Allow me to elaborate...

There are definitely certain core doctrines concerning the nature of God, the relationship between the members of the Godhead and God's Plan of Salvation for His children that are essentially understood the same way by practicing Mormons today. We believe that these doctrines are, by nature, eternal and unchanging, and were taught by Jesus Christ and His Apostles as they are taught today by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is our belief that Jesus Christ did, in fact, establish His Church during His mortal lifetime, and that He ordained twelve men to whom He gave authority to guide and direct that Church in His absence. We contend that within a relatively short period of time after His death and the deaths of His Apostles, the purity and clarity of the doctrines He'd taught came to be lost. Each congregation essentially operated autonomously and, without apostolic leadership, Christ's followers began to be "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine," just as Paul had prophesied would happen were the original organization of the Church to cease to exist.

We believe that these events took the Church into a period of Apostasy which lasted roughly 1700 years. This is not to say that there was no Christian Church on earth during those years and that there were no Christians. It is simply our belief that, due to lack of authority, scripture began to be tainted with the philosophies of men.

We believe that there exists in heirarchy in the institutional Church today, which existed in Christ's original Church. It exists today for the same reason it existed anciently -- to keep Christ's followers from being "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." If you were to go to an LDS worship service in Chili today and were to stay for the entire three hours :eek:, you could later that day have an online discussion with someone who had also attended an LDS worship service in Moscow and you would have been taught exactly the same lesson material during two of the three hours.

On the other hand, our leaders have consistently reminded the members of the Church that we are absolutely to think for ourselves and not blindly follow everything ever said by our leaders. In our 2008 General Conference, one LDS Apostle put it this way...

Members who have a testimony and who act upon it under the direction of their Church leaders are sometimes accused of blind obedience.

Of course, we have leaders, and of course, we are subject to their decisions and directions in the operation of the Church and in the performance of needed priesthood ordinances. But when it comes to learning and knowing the truth of the gospel—our personal testimonies—we each have a direct relationship with God, our Eternal Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ, through the powerful witness of the Holy Ghost. This is what our critics fail to understand. It puzzles them that we can be united in following our leaders and yet independent in knowing for ourselves.

Perhaps the puzzle some feel can be explained by the reality that each of us has two different channels to God. We have a channel of governance through our prophet and other leaders. This channel, which has to do with doctrine, ordinances, and commandments, results in obedience. We also have a channel of personal testimony, which is direct to God. This has to do with His existence, our relationship to Him, and the truth of His restored gospel. This channel results in knowledge. These two channels are mutually reinforcing: knowledge encourages obedience (see Deuteronomy 5:27; Moses 5:11), and obedience enhances knowledge (see John 7:17; D&C 93:1).

My personal experience was that from my earliest youth, I was encouraged by my parents to question. I was never, ever made to feel guilty for wondering if something or other was true. I learned from my parents not to be afraid of the hard questions, but to dig deep and find the answers.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't please feel free to ask me to try again.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes and no. Allow me to elaborate...

There are definitely certain core doctrines concerning the nature of God, the relationship between the members of the Godhead and God's Plan of Salvation for His children that are essentially understood the same way by practicing Mormons today. We believe that these doctrines are, by nature, eternal and unchanging, and were taught by Jesus Christ and His Apostles as they are taught today by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is our belief that Jesus Christ did, in fact, establish His Church during His mortal lifetime, and that He ordained twelve men to whom He gave authority to guide and direct that Church in His absence. We contend that within a relatively short period of time after His death and the deaths of His Apostles, the purity and clarity of the doctrines He'd taught came to be lost. Each congregation essentially operated autonomously and, without apostolic leadership, Christ's followers began to be "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine," just as Paul had prophesied would happen were the original organization of the Church to cease to exist.

We believe that these events took the Church into a period of Apostasy which lasted roughly 1700 years. This is not to say that there was no Christian Church on earth during those years and that there were no Christians. It is simply our belief that, due to lack of authority, scripture began to be tainted with the philosophies of men.

We believe that there exists in heirarchy in the institutional Church today, which existed in Christ's original Church. It exists today for the same reason it existed anciently -- to keep Christ's followers from being "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." If you were to go to an LDS worship service in Chili today and were to stay for the entire three hours :eek:, you could later that day have an online discussion with someone who had also attended an LDS worship service in Moscow and you would have been taught exactly the same lesson material during two of the three hours.

On the other hand, our leaders have consistently reminded the members of the Church that we are absolutely to think for ourselves and not blindly follow everything ever said by our leaders. In our 2008 General Conference, one LDS Apostle put it this way...

Members who have a testimony and who act upon it under the direction of their Church leaders are sometimes accused of blind obedience.

Of course, we have leaders, and of course, we are subject to their decisions and directions in the operation of the Church and in the performance of needed priesthood ordinances. But when it comes to learning and knowing the truth of the gospel—our personal testimonies—we each have a direct relationship with God, our Eternal Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ, through the powerful witness of the Holy Ghost. This is what our critics fail to understand. It puzzles them that we can be united in following our leaders and yet independent in knowing for ourselves.

Perhaps the puzzle some feel can be explained by the reality that each of us has two different channels to God. We have a channel of governance through our prophet and other leaders. This channel, which has to do with doctrine, ordinances, and commandments, results in obedience. We also have a channel of personal testimony, which is direct to God. This has to do with His existence, our relationship to Him, and the truth of His restored gospel. This channel results in knowledge. These two channels are mutually reinforcing: knowledge encourages obedience (see Deuteronomy 5:27; Moses 5:11), and obedience enhances knowledge (see John 7:17; D&C 93:1).

My personal experience was that from my earliest youth, I was encouraged by my parents to question. I was never, ever made to feel guilty for wondering if something or other was true. I learned from my parents not to be afraid of the hard questions, but to dig deep and find the answers.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't please feel free to ask me to try again.

I have a question concerning these two channels and missions. If a person felt God calling them to a specific place but the church decided to send them elsewhere, how likely would it be for the person to convince the church that re-assignment was necessary. What would such a person do, when their channel conflicted with the church channel. And are there any conflicts in channels that can lead to banishment or shunning?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, thank you, except that it seems the personal testimony must harmonize with the governance. Is that correct?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have a question concerning these two channels and missions. If a person felt God calling them to a specific place but the church decided to send them elsewhere, how likely would it be for the person to convince the church that re-assignment was necessary. What would such a person do, when their channel conflicted with the church channel.
When a person "turns in his papers" to his bishop, indicating that he wishes to serve a proselytizing mission for the Church, it is with the clear understanding that he or she will serve where called. When the mission call is actually issued (it comes in the mail and the opening of the letter is generally a huge family event), I'm sure there are more than a few young men and women who read the letter and think, "Kansas? :sad4:. Others, who are hoping to stay in the states might be equally disappointed to read, "Mongolia." :eek: A prospective missionary is expected to either accept or decline the call, but its terms are non-negotiable. I personally know of no missionaries who have said, "Nope. I'm not going there," but it could conceivably happen.

And are there any conflicts in channels that can lead to banishment or shunning?
Are you referring to missionary service? Or something else? (My next post to savagewind pay answer your question, so you might want to read it before commenting.)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, thank you, except that it seems the personal testimony must harmonize with the governance. Is that correct?
Again, that would all depend. You must understand (as not even all Mormons do, even though they should) that there is a difference between doctrine and policy.

Doctrine could be defined as eternal truth revealed to mankind by Jesus Christ, through the Holy Ghost. It is what it is. All Mormon doctrine can be found in our "Standard Works." A member of the Church can either believe what is found in one of those four books or not. There are undoubtedly many members of the Church who are not firmly convinced of certain doctrines and teachings found in the "Book of Mormon," for instance. It's entirely possible that some doubt that the events relayed in the portion of Joseph Smith's History which is found in the "Pearl of Great Price." Such an individual could remain a member of the Church "in good standing" as long as he or she did not actively preach opposing doctrine and claim that these books were in error.

Joseph Smith once said, ""I did not like the old man being called up for erring in doctrine. It looks too much like the Methodist, and not like the Latter-day Saints. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be asked out of their church. I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammeled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine."

Policy is another matter entirely. Unlike doctrines, policies are subject to change -- at the whims of human beings, in fact. I could give you a whole list of Church policies which have changed over the years. We as members of the Church would like to believe that every time a policy is implemented, changed, or rescinded that this is in accordance with God's will and is done by His direction. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

Let's take a very simple little policy that is now in place in the Church. If a man wishes to serve a mission, he may not wear a beard while doing so. It doesn't matter how neat and well-groomed the beard is. Policy prohibits it. Is this doctrinally substantiated? Absolutely not, but the Church's General Authorities are firm in enforcing it -- never mind that almost all of the earliest Church leaders wore beards and that virtually every painting I've ever seen by an LDS artist of Jesus Christ depicts Him as having a beard. Does my husband have to agree to abide by that policy or else face disciplinary action? Well, if he wants to serve a mission, he has to shave. Otherwise, he is free to continue to wear the beard he has worn for some 40-odd years now. It doesn't keep him from being considered worthy to attend the temple and it doesn't keep him from being able to teach Sunday School.

Now... let's get a little bit more "daring" in our failure to comply with Church policy. This past June, I marched with a group called "Mormons Building Bridges" in Salt Lake City's Gay Pride Parade. Mormons Building Bridges is a group of Mormons committed to treating our LGBT brothers and sisters as the Lord has said we should. I marched without any fear of being "shunned" or disciplined in any way for doing so, even though some more conservative Mormons undoubtedly consider me a real heretic for my participation.

While the Church officially opposes same-sex marriage, LDS Californians who voted "No" on Prop 8 may have lost a few friends among the more conservative members of their congregations, but they did not lose any "status" they previously had as members of the Church. As a matter of fact, Steve Young, ex San Francisco 49ers quarterback, practicing Latter-day Saint and great-great-great grandson of Brigham Young had a "Vote No on Prop 8" sign up in his front yard prior to the big vote in California, and I can assure you he is not on the fact track -- or even the slow track -- for excommunication.

So, bottom line... a person can disagree with the Church's official doctrines as long as he doesn't actively preach his differing opinion. He can even be open about his doubts with his bishop without censure of any kind. A person can be very much opposed to any policy put into place by the Church's leadership, and can even voice his opinion. When it gets right down to it, policies don't generally get changed overnight due to public outcry, though. Things happen when they happen, and a wise Mormon understands this.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Katzpur said:
You've got your first taker, rocmonkey. Just a heads up, though... Over the years, a lot of previously anti-Mormon folks on this forum have come to actually change their opinions about "the Church" after similar discussions. Keep in mind that you may be risking that by starting this thread. Some of these folks ("real" Christians like yourself, Muslims, atheists, etc.) may actually jump in from time to time to defend Mormonism when you post inaccurate information about it. When it comes to anti-Mormonism, you may be surprised at how relatively little there is of it here on RF.

Do you believe that Christian homosexuals will have eternal life just like other Christians will?

At http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/prop-8-mormons-gay-marriage-shift, there is a very interesting article about how the Mormon church hierarchy recently changed its political opposition to homosexuality, although it still opposes it. Some church officials admitted that the church went about opposing homosexuality in the wrong way.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I used to have misconceptions of Mormons myself. I listened to what non-LDS said. When I came here to the RF, I asked questions about my misconceptions was they were answered and I became less ignorant. :)

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'll start by asking a simple question.
Why does the LDS church teach (D&C 132) that their god is not the author of confusion but then teach (from the LDS god to his greatest prophet ever, Joseph Smith)

What qualities in your opinion make Joseph Smith the greatest ever prophet?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What qualities in your opinion make Joseph Smith the greatest ever prophet?
"The greatest ever prophet"? I'm not sure I even believe he was "the greatest ever prophet." Mormons believe that Joseph Smith and every one of our prophets since him are called of God. Each of them is equal to the others and none is considered to the "the greatest" -- except, of course, by individual members who may have their own personal favorite. Joseph Smith, of course, had a more challenging role than any of those who followed him, and without him, the gospel would have never been reestablished. His accomplishments were monumental, particularly given the fact that he was murdered so early in his life. He suffered personally far more than any of the others, but that was a consequence of who he was and what he claimed to have heard and seen. Had any of the other 15 later prophets have been the first, they undoubtedly would have been seen the way a lot of people see Joseph Smith today.

Joseph Smith did have some extraordinary qualities, though. He was 100% dedicated to completing the work the Lord gave him. He was exceptionally forgiving, generous, and tolerant. He was always for the underdog. He was also exceptionally down to earth; members of the Church loved him, not only as their Prophet, but as a man.

My personal favorites are Spencer W. Kimball and Gordon B. Hinckley, though Joseph Smith is right up there, too. The one thing that draws me to Mormonism is that we have never claimed that anybody is "the last prophet." To us, that would put the Church in the same position it was in after Christ and the Apostles died. We believe God to be unchanging. If He speaks directly to a living prophet at some periods of time, He would not leave humanity with nothing more than an instruction book to go on at other times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.