• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormon sex therapist faces discipline and possible expulsion from the LDS Church

Fallen Prophet

If therapy grounded in science and reason is against the teachings of the Church then the church is anti-therapy.
In my opinion
I don't know anything about this situation but "masturbation is not a sin" is not a scientific fact or necessarily a reasonable idea.

It all depends on your morals or religious beliefs.

So - if you are actively preaching against the religion you claim to be a member of - they can expel you.

This woman being a therapist does not give her authority to declare what is or is not sinful.

Nor does it give her a "free pass" to do things that would get other members of her church disciplined or expelled.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I don't know anything about this situation but "masturbation is not a sin" is not a scientific fact or necessarily a reasonable idea.

It all depends on your morals or religious beliefs.

So - if you are actively preaching against the religion you claim to be a member of - they can expel you.

This woman being a therapist does not give her authority to declare what is or is not sinful.

Nor does it give her a "free pass" to do things that would get other members of her church disciplined or expelled.
But her being a therapist does give her the authority to declare what may be good or bad for emotional and mental well being. She can let the church know her expert opinions on the subject and the church can deal with her according to its precepts. But to remain silent would delay change. After all, if people remained silent, maybe Mormons would still be wearing one piece garments and refusing the priesthood to blacks.

danieldemol

Premium Member

It all depends on your morals or religious beliefs...
Actually it depends on whether your morals are based in reason or not.

If one where to declare having a family sinful you would object if you valued reason, and it is equally unreasonable to declare something which is a healthy function of most individuals sinful such as masturbation.

In my opinion.

Fallen Prophet

But her being a therapist does give her the authority to declare what may be good or bad for emotional and mental well being.
I don't know if this is true. Aren't there like deciding bodies - groups of experts - who determine these things?

I don't think every therapist believes that masturbation is "good" or beneficial to our "emotional and mental well being".

And even if every therapist in the world claimed that it was - that has nothing to do with the concept of sin.

Any claim they make about something being sinful or not enters the realm of religion - not science - so it is outside their jurisdiction - isn't it?
She can let the church know her expert opinions on the subject and the church can deal with her according to its precepts.
I don't think her having a differing opinion is the issue - but her speaking out against the doctrines of her church - and more than likely using her profession as a badge of authority to lead other members away from their church's beliefs.

She can do that if she wants - but they can expel her for doing so.
But to remain silent would delay change.
She doesn't have the authority to direct change. Nor do you or any of us.

If the leaders of her church feel inspired to change their views on masturbation - they will - but it seems like they don't want to.

They don't see any reason to change this thing and there is not reason they should feel otherwise.
After all, if people remained silent, maybe Mormons would still be wearing one piece garments and refusing the priesthood to blacks.
I don't know anything about the garment thing but I do that their church did refuse certain blacks - not all - the priesthood for a while and that it was not public opinion or pressure that changed their minds on that issue.

Fallen Prophet

Actually it depends on whether your morals are based in reason or not.

If one where to declare having a family sinful you would object if you valued reason, and it is equally unreasonable to declare something which is a healthy function of most individuals sinful such as masturbation.

In my opinion.
Correct. That is your opinion.

You believe that masturbation is a "healthy function".

Many - including therapists - do not believe that to be the case.

And apparently Mormons do not believe that it is either.

If you want to be a Mormon - gotta follow Mormon rules.

It's really very simple.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I don't know if this is true. Aren't there like deciding bodies - groups of experts - who determine these things?

I don't think every therapist believes that masturbation is "good" or beneficial to our "emotional and mental well being".

And even if every therapist in the world claimed that it was - that has nothing to do with the concept of sin.

Any claim they make about something being sinful or not enters the realm of religion - not science - so it is outside their jurisdiction - isn't it?

I don't think her having a differing opinion is the issue - but her speaking out against the doctrines of her church - and more than likely using her profession as a badge of authority to lead other members away from their church's beliefs.

She can do that if she wants - but they can expel her for doing so.

She doesn't have the authority to direct change. Nor do you or any of us.

If the leaders of her church feel inspired to change their views on masturbation - they will - but it seems like they don't want to.

They don't see any reason to change this thing and there is not reason they should feel otherwise.

I don't know anything about the garment thing but I do that their church did refuse certain blacks - not all - the priesthood for a while and that it was not public opinion or pressure that changed their minds on that issue.
Bottom line: You’re a true believer…a fanatic of a mentally abusive church. You seem to assume that just because the church believes something is sinful that thing must be mentally harmful when just the opposite is true. Shall we start talking about the history of Mormon bishops calling 12 and 13 year olds to the office to ask these children about their masturbation practices? Are you going to defend that?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Correct. That is your opinion.

Many - including therapists - do not believe that to be the case.

And apparently Mormons do not believe that it is either.

If you want to be a Mormon - gotta follow Mormon rules.

It's really very simple.
Nope. Not that simple. But you won’t understand so long as you’re wearing your Mormon blinders.

Fallen Prophet

Bottom line: You’re a true believer…a fanatic of a mentally abusive church.
I am? What church would that be?
You seem to assume that just because the church believes something is sinful that thing must be mentally harmful when just the opposite is true.
I never said this.

Not everyone believes that masturbation is beneficial - so stop acting like they do.
Shall we start talking about the history of Mormon bishops calling 12 and 13 year olds to the office to ask these children about their masturbation practices? Are you going to defend that?
Yes - they have every right to ask the questions they believe are necessary in order to determine if the kid is worthy to enter their temple.

Every religion has the right to set their own standards and require their members to live by them.

I don't see anything in need of defending here.
Nope. Not that simple. But you won’t understand so long as you’re wearing your Mormon blinders.
Where did I get these "Mormon blinders"?

Every religion or institution has the right to set standards and rules.

I think you just don't like Mormons - so you are the one with the blinders.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
All religions change over time, some faster than others.
If you made a list to follow of all the sins believed by every religion, you would find life virtually impossible.

I find it strange that so many religions put so much emphasis on sex and sexuality.
When it is so far down the list in the real word.

I would see sins as being things the hurt other people or the world in general.
Sex practices between consenting people is rarely harmful.
Though it is easy to think of situations or partnerships that are inappropriate.
However these are also likely to be illegal. Or socially unacceptable.

Religions act like any other social group,, and put rules in place that set limits on their members acceptable behaviour. The Mormons are no different in doing this.

Scientific advancement and knowledge has been a major factor in redefining both beliefs and practices. Therapeutic advances will be no different, it will just take time.
And probably lots of prayer, before a prophet has a new insight from God.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I am? What church would that be?

I never said this.

Not everyone believes that masturbation is beneficial - so stop acting like they do.

Yes - they have every right to ask the questions they believe are necessary in order to determine if the kid is worthy to enter their temple.

Every religion has the right to set their own standards and require their members to live by them.

I don't see anything in need of defending here.

Where did I get these "Mormon blinders"?

Every religion or institution has the right to having standards and rules.

I think you just don't like Mormons - so you are the one with the blinders.
Thanks for confirming my post. Well done.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No, it is a fact masturbation is normal and healthy.
Masturbation side effects: Myths and facts

Few studies focus specifically on the benefits of masturbation, but research suggests that sexual stimulation, including stimulation through masturbation, can:
  • reduce stress
  • release tension
  • enhance sleep quality
  • boost concentration
  • elevate mood
  • relieve menstrual cramps
  • alleviate pain
  • improve sex
Masturbation has also been identified as a strategy to improve sexual health by promoting intimacy, exploring self-pleasure, desires, and needs, reducing unwanted pregnancies, and preventing sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV transmission.

Some people may feel embarrassed, guilty, or ashamed when talking about masturbation. But masturbation is normal, healthy, and not something to feel guilty about.

Masturbation will not lead to blindness or cause physical and mental health problems. In many cases, masturbation has more health benefits than adverse effects

Fallen Prophet

People are free to live their religion and I’m free to point out the flaws.
No - you have not pointed out anyone's flaw - except your inability to discern a simple difference in opinion.

It has not been proven by any measure that masturbation is a good or healthy thing to do - you have not proven any "flaws".

The Mormon have every right to believe that masturbation violates their Law of Chastity an that those who masturbate are unworthy to enter their temple.

It is their temple - so they choose who gets to go into it.

Fallen Prophet

No, it is a fact masturbation is normal and healthy.
Masturbation side effects: Myths and facts
That most of that list can be achieved through sexual congress with your spouse.

Masturbation is sad. It's like giving yourself a gold-star sticker for doing nothing.

You get all these "good vibes" without any of the productive relationship building it was supposed to generate.

Nothing you have shared proves that masturbation is a good thing.

And the idea that it is "natural" kinda implies that it is "sinful" because sinning is what the "natural man" does.

This woman can speak out against her church all she wants - but they have every right to expel her from their ranks for doing so.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Masturbation is sad. It's like giving yourself a gold-star sticker for doing nothing.
That view is sad. Masturbation is normal and healthy.
Masturbation Side Effects and Benefits
Masturbation is a common activity. It’s a natural and safe way to explore your body, feel pleasure, and release built-up sexual tension. It occurs among people of all backgrounds, genders, and races.

Despite the myths, there are actually no physically harmful side effects of masturbation.

Masturbation doesn’t have any harmful side effects.

Research and anecdotal reports suggest that sexual stimulation, including stimulation through masturbation, may help you:

• relieve built-up stress
  • sleep better
  • boost your mood
  • relax
  • feel pleasure
  • relieve cramps
  • release sexual tension
  • have better sex
  • better understand your wants and needs
What Are The Health Benefits Of Female Masturbation?
10 Benefits of Masturbation - How Masturbating Boosts Your Health
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au...ation#general-health-benefits-of-masturbation
And the idea that it is "natural" kinda implies that it is "sinful" because sinning is what the "natural man" does.
So I assume eating and drinking and going to the bathroom are sin, and they are very natural.

Fallen Prophet

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au...ation#general-health-benefits-of-masturbation
Thank you for sharing your opinion and the opinions of others.
So I assume eating and drinking and going to the bathroom are sin, and they are very natural.
There are needs and then there are desires.

Everyone needs to eat, drink and evacuate to live - but no one needs to masturbate.

Fallen Prophet

It's more than mere opinion when tons of research supports it.
None of that research supports the idea that masturbation is beneficial.

It does support the idea that having an orgasm is beneficial - and that is undoubtedly true.

Yet masturbation is unfulfilling and sad while having sex with your spouse is enriching and build on your relationship.
Sex is a need. Masturbation is one of the ways to do that.
No - sex is not a need. It is a desire. Eating, drinking and defecating are needs - as you pointed out.

You can go your entire lifetime without sex. It is possible - which proves that it is not a need.

Masturbation is one of the ways you can have an orgasm - not sex.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
None of that research supports the idea that masturbation is beneficial.
Yeah, it actually does.
No - sex is not a need. It is a desire. Eating, drinking and defecating are needs - as you pointed out.
It is a need.
What's the Difference Between Sexual Needs and Wants?
Masturbation is one of the ways you can have an orgasm - not sex.
Wrong again. Masturbation is a form of sexual activity.
Your Guide to Masturbation