• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More trump... (for Christians)

Nimos

So just watched the reaction of the Bishop when Trump decided to "hijack" her church for his stunt. Obviously she is rather pissed off.

Do Christians agree with her? Is this a cheap move from Trump and do you feel that he is misusing or exploiting the "spirit" of Jesus or the solidarity idea behind what you think Christianity stand for?

(Just wondering how people view this)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Judge not....oh, wait...I don't guess that applies to everyone.

She probably should give this talk to the miscreant that firebombed her church...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

She probably should give this talk to the miscreant that firebombed her church...
To be fair, I would think the leader of the Free World has higher standards to live up to than some random punk kid.
Besides Judging seems to be the favoured pastime of certain people. Since it was spoken against by Jesus, the focus is usually pointed towards his followers who do so.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Conservative Christians are the very last people who should be citing Matthew 7:1

Also, you don't think there should be a difference in standards and expectations between The President of the U.S. and some random hoodlum?

Trump used a church and bible simply as props for a photo-op, without piety or sincerity. Given the way Trump lives, speaks, and acts, do you honestly think he gives a damn about the bible? It's just a dumb stunt to tickle the religious sentiment of his base. One would have to be extremely dimwitted not to see through something so transparent, however.
Just accept that Trump is an imbecile rather than embarrassing yourself with mental gymnastics. Don't worry, you can still be a staunch conservative/patriot without prostrating yourself to him. Maintain some dignity. :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
To be fair, I would think the leader of the Free World has higher standards to live up to than some random punk kid.
Besides Judging seems to be the favoured pastime of certain people. Since it was spoken against by Jesus, the focus is usually pointed towards his followers who do so.
Conservative Christians are the very last people who should be citing Matthew 7:1

Also, you don't think there should be a difference in standards and expectations between The President of the U.S. and some random hoodlum?

Trump used a church and bible simply as props for a photo-op, without piety or sincerity. Given the way Trump lives, speaks, and acts, do you honestly think he gives a damn about the bible? It's just a dumb stunt to tickle the religious sentiment of his base. One would have to be extremely dimwitted not to see through something so transparent, however.
Just accept that Trump is an imbecile rather than embarrassing yourself with mental gymnastics. Don't worry, you can still be a staunch conservative/patriot without prostrating yourself to him. Maintain some dignity. :)

So you giving "some random punk kid..." --who just happened to find an unoccupied fire bomb, and, having nothing better to do, tried to burn down a historical church, which, coincidentally, has been catering to white folks for generations--a pass? Cool. I'm down with the struggle....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So you giving "some random punk kid..." --who just happened to find an unoccupied fire bomb, and, having nothing better to do, tried to burn down a historical church, which, coincidentally, has been catering to white folks for generations--a pass? Cool. I'm down with the struggle....

No, nobody is giving him a pass. :rolleyes: They should be punished accordingly. This isn't an either/or situation, and obviously the president is higher profile. I want you to take but a brief moment if you could to objectively reflect and then tell us why you think Trump is or should be beyond reproach?

Look, I get that you've (for whatever reason) invested a lot of ego, emotion, and identity into Trump, making it hard to accept that he's not the infallible godking you initially thought he would be (no human being can be), which is a very bitter pill to shallow, but for the sake of honesty and integrity, you should. It's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave no one a pass. Hopefully that young man faces court and is held accountable to the full extent of the law.
But I thought Americans were proud of their ability to criticise and hold their leaders accountable? And I wrong in that assumption?

Terry Sampson

Is this a cheap move from Trump
Yes, absolutely. And I'd say that even if I were a godless heathen. In fact, I'd say it's a classic, cheap, Trumpian move, ... one that no one should be surprised by. The surprise, IMO, were the federal troops, tear gas, and rubber bullets used to clear the street and the area in front of the church just so Trump could walk to the church.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
So just watched the reaction of the Bishop when Trump decided to "hijack" her church for his stunt. Obviously she is rather pissed off.

Do Christians agree with her? Is this a cheap move from Trump and do you feel that he is misusing or exploiting the "spirit" of Jesus or the solidarity idea behind what you think Christianity stand for?

I'm not a Christian and I usually object when religion tries to influence politics. But in this case it was the other way around, politics appropriating religion. She has every right for self defence. And she did a good job.

Trump obviously knows little about Christianity. Maybe he should have asked Pence? Of all denominations he choose the Episcopalians, just because they were near. Big misjudgement.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not a Christian and I usually object when religion tries to influence politics. But in this case it was the other way around, politics appropriating religion. She has every right for self defence. And she did a good job.

Trump obviously knows little about Christianity. Maybe he should have asked Pence? Of all denominations he choose the Episcopalians, just because they were near. Big misjudgement.
The Episcopal Church in the US is very leftist and has been for decades, so that was a really stupid move on his part. (I attend an Episcopal parish.) Pence is a fake Christian fascist on a power trip, so he doesn't know anything about it, either.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The Episcopal Church in the US is very leftist and has been for decades, so that was a really stupid move on his part. (I attend an Episcopal parish.) Pence is a fake Christian fascist on a power trip, so he doesn't know anything about it, either.
I'm not so sure about Pence. He might at least know a bible quote or two and he might know about Christian denominations. Trump clearly doesn't.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
From Wiki:

"The Episcopal Church was active in the Social Gospel movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.[5] Since the 1960s and 1970s, the church has pursued a decidedly more liberal course. It has opposed the death penalty and supported the civil rights movement and affirmative action. Some of its leaders and priests are known for marching with influential civil rights demonstrators such as Martin Luther King Jr. The church calls for the full legal equality of LGBT people. In 2015, the church's 78th triennial General Convention passed resolutions allowing the blessing of same-sex marriages and approved two official liturgies to bless such unions.[6]"

Terry Sampson

Trump clearly doesn't.
Prima facie evidence: Anybody who begins, as Trump has, to quote something from the second letter of Paul to the Corinthians, citing "In Two Corinthians ..." is clueless. "Two" is a tell. We can infer further, similarly, that the same person would very likely cite something from the second books of Samuel, Kings, or Chronicles, saying: "In Two Samuel, ...", "In Two Kings, ...", or "In Two Chronicles ...".

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

Trump tries to appear as if he is Christian by symbolic stuff and salesmanship as far as I can see.

How do we know? Because of very clear wording where Christ himself said that we can know who are his disciples in a very particular way, and I haven't seen Trump doing that in regards to some where he would have needed to have done so, for example with the asylum seekers, for instance (one can read the 2nd half of Matthew chapter 25 to get a fuller picture also).

So, since Trump's followers often come across as trusting in him, putting hope on him...then, it's really for some (not all) a competing religion, that tries to appear as if it's Christian.