• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More than 13 million sign petition urging nations to ban nuclear weapons

Should nuclear weapons be banned?

• Yes, I support complete nuclear disarmament

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No. While I support nuclear disarmament, we still need a small number of nukes just in case

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No. It's a dangerous world, and nukes are the only effective peacemaker

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No. The effects of nuclear weapons are exaggerated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we should build even more nukes and be ready to use them at a moment's notice

• I support banning nukes, but I don't believe it's possible in today's world

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Undecided

• Other

• Nuke me, baby!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
13 million sign petition urging all nations to ban nuclear weapons : The Asahi Shimbun

A petition by an organization of survivors of the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki urging all nations to sign the U.N. treaty banning nuclear weapons has garnered a whopping 13.7 million signatures.

The Appeal of the Hibakusha association made the announcement during an online news conference on Jan. 13 after submitting the petition to the United Nations on Jan. 8.

The treaty goes into effect on Jan. 22.

The association collected the signatures on the streets, internet and elsewhere before finishing the effort at the end of December.

A total of 1,497 incumbent and former prefectural governors and mayors in Japan added their names to the petition. The petition also drew support from numerous people in countries other than Japan.

The campaign association, comprised of members of Nihon Hidankyo (Japan Confederation of A- and H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations) and other organizations, began their activities to achieve a nuclear-free world “while we still live” in April 2016.

The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons was adopted in July 2017. Since then, the campaign has been asking all nations to join the treaty and advocating for it to take effect as early as possible.

The campaign to collect signatures was initially to end by September 2020, but was extended after it appeared that the treaty was likely to go into effect in the near future.

The association collected more than 1 million signatures over the additional three months, mainly online.

I wasn't even aware there was a petition, but I would have signed it.

Should nuclear weapons be banned?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
YES. Best to stick to plastic knives at the most for fighting:D
I am picturing Biden and Putin fighting it out with plastic cutlery. It was good for a laugh this morning. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I support the abolishment of nuclear weapons, but one has to thoroughly consider the possibility of a nation's illegally obtaining or producing such a weapon after it has been banned. Who would be able to police them given the resultant disparity in military threat and ability to exert political and military pressure? Imagine a Kim Jong-un, Putin, or Khomeini with unparalleled nuclear power. That's not something I would ever want to become a reality.

Nuclear disarmament is an ideal scenario, but I suspect it may never truly happen. Perhaps the current de facto nuclear stalemate is our best compromise to effectively prevent the usage of nukes for the foreseeable future.

Audie

Veteran Member
I support the abolishment of nuclear weapons, but one has to thoroughly consider the possibility of a nation's illegally obtaining or producing such a weapon after it has been banned. Who would be able to police them given the resultant disparity in military threat and ability to exert political and military pressure? Imagine a Kim Jong-un, Putin, or Khomeini with unparalleled nuclear power. That's not something I would ever want to become a reality.

Nuclear disarmament is an ideal scenario, but I suspect it may never truly happen. Perhaps the current de facto nuclear stalemate is our best compromise to effectively prevent the usage of nukes for the foreseeable future.

Of course.
"We figure they will cheat so we've no choice
but to secrete some ourselves."

Ted Taylor, the American who was so
pro,if it in a-bomb design basically said that
most anyone could make one if they started with fissionable material.
A great deal of which has gone missing
and / or is presently ill guarded.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Of course.
"We figure they will cheat so we've no choice
but to secrete some ourselves."

Ted Taylor, the American who was so
pro,if it in a-bomb design basically said that
most anyone could make one if they started with fissionable material.
A great deal of which has gone missing
and / or is presently ill guarded.
If it's so easy, why hasn't Iran one yet?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Interesting question. Who though is to say nobody has?

As the ease, I'm no bomb designer, but
person I cited certainly is / was, I figure he'd know...?
He is right. The caveat is in "if they started with fissionable material". And the missing and ill guarded material seems to be missing and and too well guarded for Iran, too. That's why the IAEA is focusing on centrifuges.

Audie

Veteran Member
He is right. The caveat is in "if they started with fissionable material". And the missing and ill guarded material seems to be missing and and too well guarded for Iran, too. That's why the IAEA is focusing on centrifuges.
You might like to read. " the curve of binding energy" by j mcphee.
If this subject is of interest to you.

Some of what he says about how well guarded is not reassuring.

Iran or n Korea want enough fissionable material for multiple
bombs

I bet Taiwan has nukes.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You might like to read. " the curve of binding energy" by j mcphee.
If this subject is of interest to you.

Some of what he says about how well guarded is not reassuring.
I have read articles about missing uranium and plutonium during the protests against nuclear energy in Germany. That was in the 80's and it was alarmingly much. I guess those numbers didn't go down.
Iran or n Korea want enough fissionable material for multiple
bombs

I bet Taiwan has nukes.
I think I'd take that bet. The idea of nukes is to deter others from attacking you. I.e. you have to make it public. You may want to make it not official for various reasons but you want at least float believable rumours, like Israel.
I haven't heard such rumours about Taiwan.

Audie

Veteran Member
I have read articles about missing uranium and plutonium during the protests against nuclear energy in Germany. That was in the 80's and it was alarmingly much. I guess those numbers didn't go down.

I think I'd take that bet. The idea of nukes is to deter others from attacking you. I.e. you have to make it public. You may want to make it not official for various reasons but you want at least float believable rumours, like Israel.
I haven't heard such rumours about Taiwan.

Israel says it doesn't have any.

Dunno what the thinking is in Taiwan.

They are very capable of building them

My plan is, never find out