• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More signs the religious are accepting gays?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
These came across my FB the other day. While this is more LDS centric I think it is a good example of how the religious are becoming more accepting of homosexuals every day. It may be a slow process, but at least it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn On Being A Gay Celebrity Mormon
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/tyler-glenn-is-tired-of-being-told-he-cant-be-gay-and-mormon
NEW YORK (AP) — When Tyler Glenn of Neon Trees announced last month that he's gay, the bigger headline behind his revelation was that he is one of the few publicly out Mormons.
The reaction he got wasn't what he was expecting.
"I was surprised at how many Mormon church leaders wrote me messages saying, 'This is great that you're doing this,'" the 30-year-old lead singer said in a recent interview. "That really was cool."

Glenn said he hopes members of the Mormon church will continue to become more understanding and accepting of homosexuality and gay marriage.
"It's terrible some of the things that have been said by church leaders, but I also feel like there's a lot of strides that have been made even since the Prop 8 debacle years ago," he said, referring to the Mormon church's opposition to California's Proposition 8 ban on gay marriage in 2008.

Nymphs

These came across my FB the other day. While this is more LDS centric I think it is a good example of how the religious are becoming more accepting of homosexuals every day. It may be a slow process, but at least it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn On Being A Gay Celebrity Mormon
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/tyler-glenn-is-tired-of-being-told-he-cant-be-gay-and-mormon

Which Mormon leaders and how is this a sign? The Mormon Church is still fighting against gay marriage with legislation. I'm not entirely convinced. ;)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"The religious" have been accepting of homosexuals for a very, very long time. We're not exactly a homogenous group, you know. Neopaganism has never had a problem with it from day one, and neither has Unitarian Universalism, to my knowledge, or pretty much any of the Eastern religions.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
"The religious" have been accepting of homosexuals for a very, very long time. We're not exactly a homogenous group, you know. Neopaganism has never had a problem with it from day one, and neither has Unitarian Universalism, to my knowledge, or pretty much any of the Eastern religions.

Because I honestly don't know - do/did some Wiccans (or any group with a male/female dichotomy and/or sexual rites involving a male/female dichotomy) have a problem with homosexuality? It's something I could see occuring - much as some Dianics exclude trans women AFAIK - but don't know if it has occurred.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I honestly don't know - do/did some Wiccans (or any group with a male/female dichotomy and/or sexual rites involving a male/female dichotomy) have a problem with homosexuality? It's something I could see occuring - much as some Dianics exclude trans women AFAIK - but don't know if it has occurred.

The only traditions of Wicca that might have an issue with it would be the oathbound, initiatory-only forms that were originally developed in the British Isles. Such traditions tend to go under the header of BTW (British Traditional Witchcraft) nowadays, and are a teeny tiny minority of Wicca as a whole. I've never known a Wiccan outside of BTW that has had a problem with it, and I don't have enough experience with lineged BTWs to want to speak for them on this issue.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
The only traditions of Wicca that might have an issue with it would be the oathbound, initiatory-only forms that were originally developed in the British Isles. Such traditions tend to go under the header of BTW (British Traditional Witchcraft) nowadays, and are a teeny tiny minority of Wicca as a whole. I've never known a Wiccan outside of BTW that has had a problem with it, and I don't have enough experience with lineged BTWs to want to speak for them on this issue.

Thanks for the info. I'll poke around at it because I'm curious. I feel like I'm seen something about the matter in regards to sexual rites and so it's poking the back of my brain. :)

I will add I've seen some of the heathen sites be anti-homosexual/very pro-monogamy. It was a while back and I can't recall how much about the one I really remember other than there was some folkish tendencies but not explicit racism so it wasn't just a stormfront wannabe.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I'll poke around at it because I'm curious. I feel like I'm seen something about the matter in regards to sexual rites and so it's poking the back of my brain. :)

I will add I've seen some of the heathen sites be anti-homosexual/very pro-monogamy. It was a while back and I can't recall how much about the one I really remember other than there was some folkish tendencies but not explicit racism so it wasn't just a stormfront wannabe.

LGBT topics and Wicca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Heathens are racists and homophobes. Some are outright neo-Nazis. It's a recent thing. The pre-Christian Germanic tribes were neither racist nor homophobic. At least not anti-gay as we would understand it today.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Merci beaucoup
Some Heathens are racists and homophobes. Some are outright neo-Nazis. It's a recent thing. The pre-Christian Germanic tribes were neither racist nor homophobic. At least not anti-gay as we would understand it today.
Well and the Ancient Romans weren't anti-gay as we'd understand it today but that's because gay wasn't a thing then. Sexual orientation is very culturally constructed!

I'm aware of the variety among current practitioners of heathen/norse religion, I was simply disappointed to find it on an otherwise not horrible site.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Merci beaucoup

You're welcome. :)

Well and the Ancient Romans weren't anti-gay as we'd understand it today but that's because gay wasn't a thing then. Sexual orientation is very culturally constructed!
Yes, I know. :p

I'm aware of the variety among current practitioners of heathen/norse religion, I was simply disappointed to find it on an otherwise not horrible site.
Yeah, I understand. Norse Paganism has a lot of issues with that these days. You have to be cautious about it. It's sad, because other groups don't really have those issues.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Per the OP: I think there is.

I switch back and forth between conservative talk radio and NPR when I drive to and from work. It's a long drive, and I like to listen to the various styles and talking points and the different callers. Within the last year, I've noticed a shift in conservative talk radio from focusing on whether or not gays and lesbians should or should not have marriage equality, to focusing on the transgendereds rights to unisex bathrooms.

The callers to the talk radio shows are half and half, and changing quickly. More often than not now, people call in who boldly call themselves Christian and say that they are called to love their neighbor rather than try to vote against their rights.

I don't know if it's just the shows I listen to, or what, but it seems to me that same sex marriage is becoming a non-issue to religious conservatives. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.