• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on the Sanders campaign

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I thought I might share a New York Times opinion piece:

Despite being one of those who doesn't think Sanders can win, I was struck by the following ..

Under normal circumstances, the multiracial working class is invisible. This has meant its support for Mr. Sanders’s candidacy has been hard to register in the mainstream coverage of the Democratic race. But these voters are crucial to understanding the resilience of the Sanders campaign, which has been fueled by small dollar donations from more than one million people, a feat none of his opponents has matched. Remarkably, he also has at least 130,000 recurring donors, some of whom make monthly contributions.

Adding to that, Mr. Sanders is the top recipient for donations by teachers, farmers, servers, social workers, retail workers, construction workers, truckers, nurses and drivers as of September. He claims that his donors’ most common employers are Starbucks, Amazon and Walmart, and the most common profession is teaching. Mr. Sanders is also the leading recipient of donations from Latinos as well as the most popular Democrat among registered Latinos who plan to vote in the Nevada and California primaries. According to Essence magazine, Mr. Sanders is the favorite candidate among black women aged 18 to 34. Only 49 percent of his supporters are white, compared with 71 percent of Warren supporters. Perhaps most surprising, more women under 45 support him than men under 45.

Mr. Sanders’s popularity among these voters may be what alienates him within the political establishment and mainstream media. The leadership of the Democratic Party regularly preaches that moderation and pragmatism can appeal to “centrist” Democrats as well as Republicans skeptical of Mr. Trump. It is remarkable that this strategy still has legs after its spectacular failure for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

He may be a long shot, but he's an impressive one.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of everything he says, or some of his stances on policy, or even the fact that he's so old; but given the current choices, I will probably vote for him.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Slightly off-topic... And potentially premature...

@Jayhawker Soule , do u have a VP choice that would compliment Sanders?

Immediately prior to the 1st Democratic Primary debate, I was hoping for a Sanders/Warren ticket.
I am guessing that at this point, this is nothing more than a pipe dream. Do have any comments or feedback regarding this?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
According to the running fivethirtyeight summary polling, he's #2 in Democratic preferences at this point.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of everything he says, or some of his stances on policy, or even the fact that he's so old; but given the current choices, I will probably vote for him.
I'd vote for him over Trump.
(It's the lesser of 2 evils once again.)
Not for what he says he believes or would do.
But for what would likely happen...things intentional & unintentional.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Slightly off-topic... And potentially premature...

@Jayhawker Soule , do u have a VP choice that would compliment Sanders?

Immediately prior to the 1st Democratic Primary debate, I was hoping for a Sanders/Warren ticket.
I am guessing that at this point, this is nothing more than a pipe dream. Do have any comments or feedback regarding this?
Sanders/Warren (or Warren/Sanders) would surely have the largest voter base on the progressive side of the democrats but I think it would be politically more logical to leave Warren (Sanders) in the Senate. They can better use their power there and complement the presidency. Sander made a remark lately that Orcasio Cortez would play a major role in a Sanders presidency. But she is too inexperienced for a VP and she is more valuable in the House.
(But that may be just wishful thinking. I guess that would be the wet dream of all progressives: Sanders as president and Warren/AOC as speakers of Senate/House. :) )

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sanders/Warren (or Warren/Sanders) would surely have the largest voter base on the progressive side of the democrats but I think it would be politically more logical to leave Warren (Sanders) in the Senate. They can better use their power there and complement the presidency. Sander made a remark lately that Orcasio Cortez would play a major role in a Sanders presidency. But she is too inexperienced for a VP and she is more valuable in the House.
(But that may be just wishful thinking. I guess that would be the wet dream of all progressives: Sanders as president and Warren/AOC as speakers of Senate/House. :) )

You appear unimpressed by the Stacy Abrams recommendation. May I ask why?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn't expect that. I had you more on the conservative side and Sanders is as left as you can get in the US. Otoh, Trump really is a menace for the GOP and politics in general.
I'm not a conservative.
Both liberals & conservatives bother me.
They're....
- Pro military adventurism.
- Pro big government.
- Weak on civil liberties (albeit, often in different ways).
- Weak on the Constitution.
- More about the hive than the individual.